Samsung LE26R41BD, a good performer?

S

SIDEARM

I am currently looking to purchase a 26"/27" LCD TV and was looking at the new Samsung. Does anyone know if it is the same as the US model LNR268W? The reason I ask is that currently there is no information as to the picture quality and response time of the UK version while the LNR range in the US has several reviews (pretty favourable) and has 12ms response time panels.

I am mainly going to be using this tv for regular digital TV (freeview) and current gen (xbox in 480p) and next generation consoles (xbox 360 and PS3 in 720p). I am a keen gamer and so picture quality in HD is important as is response time. Is 12ms a good response time? And are there any sets of the same size with a significantly better picture than the Samsung. Also I know that a few manufacturers have yet to release their HD-Ready sets (most notably sony), has anyone heard about anything particularly good on its way.

I know 26" is an odd size but its a combination of space issues and price - I cannot go comfortably over £800 yet need a set which is HD-Ready (which most 23" dont seem to be).

Any help would be great!

I saw one today in a shop. The Tv signal was a satellite cable (Finland), and, well I was not very convinced about the quality on it. To compare, the new panasonic at the same size was looking better... I was hoping on this one :-/

Currys have a newer one listed on their site. The LE26R51BD.

God knows what its like, they haven't gotten round to a picture of the set yet.

Yeah. At £799 I'm tempted by it. Need to read a review first though.

It appears that the only difference is the style.

The LE26R51B has a mainly black front and the LE26R41B/D has black only around the screen, the rest is silver.

I doubt I would pay the extra £150 for the different style

But we really need a review!!

Where did you get the info on the styles? Have you seen pics of this other style? Personally im still really keen to find out if this TV has the same 12ms response time panel as the US LNR268W.

SIDEARM said:
Where did you get the info on the styles? Have you seen pics of this other style? Personally im still really keen to find out if this TV has the same 12ms response time panel as the US LNR268W.

Also want to be sure it can accept HDCP on digital input(s) and that it will handle progressive scan signals at 50Hz

Well we know its HD-Ready and has an HDMI input (which correct me if im wrong all support HDCP dont they?).

SIDEARM said:
Well we know its HD-Ready and has an HDMI input (which correct me if im wrong all support HDCP dont they?).

It's supposed to if it's sold as "HD Ready". Just wanted to be sure.

Thanks for the feedback Andy. Any chance you could give us a slightly more in-depth rundown on the 26" (as most talk has been of the 32"). Do you have the ability to test the set in 720p at 60hz as I would be interested to hear whether the tearing problems people are seeing on the larger set are also prevalent on the 26". Thanks!

I saw the 26" version of the new Samsung (not sure of the model number) in Dixons yesterday. My first and overwhelming reaction was not about the quality of the picture, but the terrible physical design of the thing. It has black shiney plastic surrounding the screen and the speakers are in a nasty triangular silver section at the bottom which looks out of proportion to the rest of the unit. It puts you in mind of a road sign !. I hope this is not the only variation. I was really enthusiastic sbout the specification of these sets (I think this one had Freeview built in) but I will now have to look elsewhere. I think the other sizes are a similar shape. I just couldn't live looking at this.

mike7 said:
My first and overwhelming reaction was not about the quality of the picture, but the terrible physical design of the thing.

All in the eye of the beholder !!

The 51 version at Currys/Dixons has slightly different appearance to the 41 versions being sold on the web. The 41 version, I believe, looks better because it maintains a consistent sized black surround on all 4 sides of the screen, leaving an elongated silver triangular section below for the speakers (instead of the silver 'vee' you see in the shops).

Dave

I have this screen and It is very good telly once you tweek it abit....I honestly have had about 3 or 4 lcd tellys and can say with out a shadow of a doubt that this is by far the best i have seen!! So much so that i have thought about canceling my HD plasma (also samsung) and buying the 40inch version of this telly..... Also the difference is more then cosmetic (this telly looks the dogs b*lls to me) the one with BD on the end has freeview built into and the B doesnt, BD has the black V on the bottom by the way.

welsh113 said:
BD has the black V on the bottom by the way.

Sorry mate, the 41 and 51 parts of the model number determine the appearance, NOT the B or BD.

;)

yes sorry :)
i have the cat for this year if you want it??
msg said:
Sorry mate, the 41 and 51 parts of the model number determine the appearance, NOT the B or BD.

;)

It looks pretty good in my room! i have only run sky+ through it with RGB and its a lot better than most of the screens i've seen at friends' houses. i did connect my laptop via vga and ran a couple of dvd's through it and the picture was very good. its very bright and the colours are good. i'm no reviewer but i've been completely non-plussed about lcd screens up to now, but this seems to be a big step up, and it was only £650. I'll be buying a pioneer 868 shortly so i'll let you know about the hdmi connection. my current dvd player is connected to my projector and i dont want to disturb it. I think this will be an excellent screen when hi-def sky comes out - which is exactly what i wanted. for the money, i dont think you can go wrong.

BUMP!

Still keen to find out whether any of you guys have seen the tearing problem in 720p (mentioned in the 32" thread) on the 26" model. Its currently the deal breaker for me as this set seems great for me otherwise.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom