Samsung LE26r41B Scart Quality

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by jamezm, Mar 12, 2006.

Tags:
  1. jamezm

jamezm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Please don't flame me for mentioning the S-word, but I would really appreciate some constructive feedback on my PQ problems with this LCD. I know there are a thousand posts about the tearing/backlight/sunk connector problems etc etc but my problem is specific to the Scart input PQ. To be frank it is shyyyte. Whether it's Sky, DVD or PS2, anything through the Scarts is shockingly bad compared to my old CRT.

I wasn't expecting it to be quite up to CRT standard but I did not expect that standing at 2m from the screen I would be so disappointed. Rather than rant and rant I guess I wd really just like to know if anybody has sever solved this? For example am I missing something in the menus to change to RGB Scart? I've tried both Scart connectors, I'm using a quality Scart cable (which works fine on CRT) and I have of course ensured the Sky is set to output RGB, but I'm not at all satisfied with the blurred and washed out PQ. I would usally expect a TV to actually show whether an input is RGB or not, my old Panny CRT used to say 'RGB' in the top-left corner to let me know I had the setup right.

Alternatively have I simply got a dodgy set?

Input via component is pretty good, for both DVD's and PS2, so I think the screen itself is capable of a lot better than the Scarts are allowing for. Unfortunately for my Sky, I'm stuck with the Scarts!

Constructive feedback and input much appreciated!

2. tjxkeith

tjxkeith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you tried DVD player Scart RGB to LCD. This would be another way of checking RGB in quality on the LCD.

3. Neil Davidson

Neil Davidson
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    The RGB decoder used by Samsung on the SCART input is just pants.

Sadly there are only three options

1. Use S-Video which produces much better results
    2. Get a RGB->Component transcoder £80-£150 depending on model and then swap over when you want to watch DVD.
    3. Get used to it ;)

I am personally going with option 3 as I plan to get Sky HD ASAP and the idea of dropping the cash required for a transcoder doesn't appeal and my Sky plus box doesn't support S-Video.

Neil

4. jamezm

jamezm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks for the feedback guys. DVD's, SKY and PS2 via RGB Scart are all shoddy to say the least!

I've subsequently tried the PS2 via a Component cable and this is better. I may try the RGB>Component converter box for SKY. Has anyone else ever tried that with any success? I'm reluctant to shell out another £100 to find that the converter box causes more interference than it solves!

Thanks in advance.

BTW: Anyone know the best way to check+update the firmware in the Sammy LE26R41? I've done a search in the forums but can't seem to find this...

5. jamezm

jamezm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/YUV-RGB-SCART.html

See above link - they have a Component YUV RGB Scart Adapter which would seem to do the trick to allow me to transmit from the SKY Scart output to the LCD's Component input, this is only £6.99!! Any idea why the massive price difference between this and the 'converters' which cost £80-£100...

Muchos gracias

6. Neil Davidson

Neil Davidson
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Sadly this is not a transcoder just a simple pass through for SCARTs that support component.

This unit therefore does no processing whilst a transcoder must process the RGB and sync signals to generate the component output.

I agree that £145 seems a lot for the JS Tech converter. CYB make a similar unit for £80 but this does not seem to have the same build quality. Still how much build quality is required for a device to sit motionless behind the display!!!

I would love to hear the experience of anyone using either of these devices.

Regards,

Neil