1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE26R41B picture skipping

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by adesics, Oct 30, 2005.

1. adesics

adesics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys. I've just recently purchased a Samsung LE26R41B from Amazon which is beautiful in every way except for the fact that about every 30 seconds or so the picture seems to 'skip', like it's dropping a frame or something.

I'm obviously aware of the screen tearing issue with these TV's but this appears to be something different. It seems to happen on all video sources including regular analogue TV pictures tuned through the antenna. Funnily enough, I havent been able to see any screen tearing when connecting my PC running at 60hz via the VGA socket yet.

I first noticed it when viewing the scrolling text at the bottom of Gran Turismo 4's main map screen and thought it was just the game, but on carefull investigation I noticed the same thing happens when watching Sky and playing xbox games through SCART on RGB or composite or even through the yellow video connection - basically, all the time. It is most noticable on smooth-running video games that run at a rock-steady 50/60hz framerate and every so often you will see what looks like a glitch in the framrate that you know shouldnt be there. If you look carefully, exactly the same thing happens on TV programmes so it has to be a problem with the TV somewhere.

I have contacted Samsung technical support about the firmware upgrade and the adviser I spoke to seemed to take it that I meant the screen was actually 'tearing' but sounded confused when I said it was happening on every video source, not just High Def 60hz. I am waiting to hear back from technical support but wondered if anyone else had noticed the same thing. It is very subtle, but it's definitely there and should not be happening.

If anyone wants to check this out, as I said it's most noticable when watching a constant smooth, horizontal scrolling image like a video game but I can see it happening when following the scrolling text at the bottom of the Sky News screen, for example. I dont know if this is related to the screen tearing issue and that the firmware upgrade will fix this as well, or if it is an entirely seperate one-off fault.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. adesics

adesics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok So I've just done some further tests and discovered that the skips (I really dont know how else to describe them) occur at regular intervals. Eg I connected my PC via the VGA socket, running at 1024*768 @ 60hz and the skips occurred every 9.5 seconds.

Both on the XBox (50hz and 60hz) and PS2 connected by RGB SCART the skips occurred roughly every 24-25 seconds.

:confused:

3. xtremist

xtremist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have recently purchased the Samsung LE26R51B and noticed this problem. After searching other threads which mostly cover the tearing issue, this is the only topic that described the problem I am having.

I have my cable box and DVD recorder connected to AV1(RGB) and roughly every 20-30 seconds the picture skips frames. This is highly noticeable watching Sky Sports News where the text scrolls along the bottom, when the problem occurs you can see the text jump across the screen.

I have an XBOX360 running through the Component input (set to 60hz and 720p) and havnt noticed any tearing. This problem is happening using SCART and occurs when watching DVD’s as well as cable.

I am going to try and contact Samsung today and was just wondering if anybody has heard of anything like this and whether a firmware update is likely to solve it.

I had a look at the service menu and the firmware details are:
    T-GRNW26PEU-3012
    T-GRWMPEUS-1004
    November 8 – 2005

Any advice would be much appreciated.