1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE26R41B -- a few questions

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Steven Jackson, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I've just bought the Samsung LE26R41B and have a few questions. Any help would be much appreciated...

1) I mainly bought this TV in prepearation for Xbox 360. It's in the bedroom, which has no TV aeriel connection, and is consequently getting very little use -- perhaps a a couple of hours a week with a Mac Mini. I have just read, in another thread, that the first week of use with an LCD is "critical". Well, as mine's only getting one or two hours a week, am I being an idiot? Should I really heat the thing up and test every eventuality before the first month is out?

2) I'm a bit confused by aspect ratios. I mean, I know what they are and everything, but how do I det-up my TV to automatically display something in its correct ratio. I hate stretched or scrunched images, and want fims/dvds/games to be displayed as they were meant to be.

3) The manual isn't very good at explaining the features of this TV. Dynamic contrast/dynamic mode/SRS/Auto Wide/Digital NR/DNIe/Brightness sensor -- worth using?

4) What's the difference between Auto Wide, Wide, Panorama, and Zoom?

Help with any of these questions would be extremely well received.

Cheers,

Steve.

2. Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oh. Nevermind, then.

3. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Give people a chance to answer.

Aspect ratios. Normally a TV will automatically switch to a widescreen or 16:9 broadcast if its sent the signal from the source e.g. DVD, Sky etc.

In my experience games consoles don't do this (GC and PS2 anyway).

In terms of non-wide screen broadcasts. If you set the screen to the ratio you want (4:3 for actual, or smart/zoom etc to fill the screen if you want) when watching it, then this is the setting the TV will default to when not receiving the widescreen trigger.

4. Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry -- just being impatient. Thanks very much for your answers, though.

Steve.

5. ceescd1

ceescd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I can't give you a scientific answer on your first question, opinions seem to vary. But personally I used the screen a fair bit in the first couple of weeks.

In terms of aspect ratio, Scapegoat has it covered, only thing I'd add is that through sky, you'll sometimes get 4:3 broadcasts in 16:9 format that won't ever fill the screen (football from euro away games comes to mind)

Features:
    Dynamic contrast - analyses the incoming picture and changes contrast accordingly. I turn it off as your black levels (my personal lcd bugbear) can jump a fair bit depending on what else is on screen.
    Dynamic mode is just a setting for picture (each setting preset has its own brightness, contrast, colour etc) I find dynamic a bit strong for tv use.
    SRS Trusurround XT is an audio technology that tries to make stereo sound 'wider' - like virtual surround-sound. See here
    Auto wide is a picture size setting which attempts to make incoming picture fit the whole screen. Doesn't work on component with progressive signal.
    Digital NR - is used to reduce artifacts from digital compression
    DNIe is samsung's picture engine which is used to improve the quality of what you see on the screen. You cannot disable this, although you can see the difference it makes with the demo button. See here
    Brightness sensor - an external sensor which checks light levels in the room and adjusts brightness accordingly. I personally find it nearly always makes things a tad dark.

In terms of wanting to watch as they were originally intended - quite often on a dvd that means having the bars! Stretching to fit the whole screen can either skew the resulting image, or cos loss of part of the image. See here

In terms of 'worth using' - only you can decide. I doubt two people will have exactly the same taste which is comes to image quality. Experiment!

I have all the stuff turned off, still not convinced on SRS - it does make the sound stage wider, but dialogue sometimes sounds weak.

6. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    You'll find that most Xbox games have widescreen. Although I'm not sure if the machine triggers widescreen or 4:3 automatically. If the Xbox is set on anamorphic widescreen ( the bottom option on the Xbox screen set up ) It'll stay put on widescreen. Am i making sence here ?. :D

I find it's best to switch most ( if not all ) so called screen enhancment options off. The Screen is amazingly crisp and clear with all sources I've tried. I use it mainly for my PC ( and consoles ) and the soon up and coming Xbox 360. :smashin: