Samsung LE26R41 Question?

Martos

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just bought a Samsung LE26R41 for use with my games consoles. Is there any way to force the set to use the RGB signal only when connecting via Scart in RGB1, or at least verify the set is displaying an RGB signal? I ask, as the picture from my PS2 looks quite blurry.

Thanks

Marty

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. If you have an RGB SCART lead plugged into the RGB SCART socket on the TV then you'll get an RGB image on the TV. Make sure you have it connected to the right socket and that you are using an RGB SCART cable.

Maybe you shud replace that cheap £9.99 PS2 cable you bought..
:smashin:

I imagine it looks blurry cos you're used to seeing RGB on a standard TV, whereas this set is better with HD, so it's gonna look worse.

Better get component now you've bought an LCD!

To clarify you're using RGB, look at the edges of the menu options in the PS2 browser "Memory Card", "Play Disc" etc. Do they appear totally static or is there flickering dots on the colours of the letters?

I have changed the cable for a PS2 component cable, this has improved the image a bit, but text still appears to be blurry with a bit of ghosting.

I have used DVE to try and improve the image, but it hasnt made much difference.

I was expecting the images to be pin sharp on this display (certainly an improvement over a crt). Am I expecting too much?

Please can people also post their picture settings?

Mine are:

Custom
Contrast 84
Brightness 64
Sharpness 50
Colour 44
Colour Tone Normal
DNR Off
Dynamic Contrast Off
Brightness Sensor Off

You will get a certain amount of ghosting and colour bleed even on LCD TVs with 'inferior' leads like RGB SCART and S-Video. You need to use a component video, VGA or HDMI lead to obtain the best possible picture.

Only a handful of PS2 games (PAL or otherwise) support component video but if they don't you'll see the games in 480i (or 576i) only, which is only slightly better than RGB SCART and still prone to some ghosting, which I believe happens as a result of the TV deinterlacing the picture, something like that. With progressive scan that doesn't happen and you get a much crisper picture with better colours.

Martos said:
Please can people also post their picture settings?

Mine are:

Custom
Contrast 84
Brightness 64
Sharpness 50
Colour 44
Colour Tone Normal
DNR Off
Dynamic Contrast Off
Brightness Sensor Off

Did you set these with DVE? They're very different to the settings DVE gave me:

Contrast 95
Brightness 52 (includes range just below video black)
Sharpness 85 (can help with text)
Colour 38 (try it!)
Colour Tone Normal

Colour balance is tricky to set with DVE, as the filters highlight decoder errors in the red and green channels especially. Anything outside of the 38-42 colour range completely blows colour balance, I find. Use 42 for correct blue level, 38 for (closest to correct) red, anything in between is a compromise. Greens are impossible to set correctly, I've found.

Tried these settings, and found em a touch dark and slightly washed out. I went for Brightness 54 and colour of 40. This seemd a bit more vibrant. The text is a bit clearer too now.

BTW I have hooked my PC up and set it to 1360x768 (the panels native resolution), and the sharpness was amazing.

54-40 is an excellent compromise, methinks. :smashin: And yes, the VGA on this set is absolutely stunning.

martos seems to have just answered my question but it would be good to get it confirmed. I have read that some of these LCD screens don't allow you to connect your PC screen to it at the 1360x768 resolution and thus can't do 1:1 pixel mapping. can you please confirm that this is false for the Samsung LE32R41 (presumably the same accross the LEXXR41 range)

EDIT: It would also be good to know the response time? I tried to find the tv on the samsung site but it was not there.

Much appreciated :thumbsup:
-Robert

I thought it was 12ms...

As for the quality of the VGA picture, I wonder if that means I'll get a better picture on my Xbox 360 if I use VGA as opposed to component video? Is there any advantage to using one over the other?

I believe the response time is 8ms.

I'm outnumbered!!! Well 8ms sounds much better anyway so I'm not going to dispute it further! :D

Alright guys - new user but have been following the samsung threads with interest as I am considering buying this set.

I was under the impression that the LE26R41BD had a response time of 12ms while the newer R51BD was 8ms ( this is the one with the black casing forming a point at the bottom also). I haven't been able to get a definitive answer though as no websites seem to quote it. Unbelievable when you consider it. If anyone has a manual surely it will mention it in there.

So far i've only seen the R51BD available in dixons/comet.

Someone in the original Samsung LE-32R41B thread posted a link to a single page leaflet for the TV and it stated the response time on it but I can't remember for sure whether it was 12ms or 8ms. The response time is not mentioned anywhere else on the website nor in the manuals.

Martos said:
I have changed the cable for a PS2 component cable, this has improved the image a bit, but text still appears to be blurry with a bit of ghosting.
It's because you're playing interlaced games. Progressive scan is pin-sharp on an LCD, but only a handful of PS2 titles support it. This is why the images "ghost" and aren't completely sharp. You're currently only getting a 720x288 image out of your PS2, which has to be stretched to 1366x768.

orko said:
Alright guys - new user but have been following the samsung threads with interest as I am considering buying this set.

I was under the impression that the LE26R41BD had a response time of 12ms while the newer R51BD was 8ms ( this is the one with the black casing forming a point at the bottom also). I haven't been able to get a definitive answer though as no websites seem to quote it. Unbelievable when you consider it. If anyone has a manual surely it will mention it in there.

So far i've only seen the R51BD available in dixons/comet.
They're both 12ms, which is more than enough for gaming. Any ghosting you see will be caused by the de-interlacer, not the panel.

The PS2 outputs 720x576, Andrewfree, not 720x288! ;)

andrewfee said:
They're both 12ms, which is more than enough for gaming. Any ghosting you see will be caused by the de-interlacer, not the panel.

is 12ms good enough for football/sport etc? I was under the impression that 16ms and below were fine but while in dixons yesterday watching the cricket the ball seemed to be fuzzy and have a trail behind it. The picture itself seemed quite pixelated. Not sure if it was as a result of poor reception in the shop, lack of fine tuning of the settings or because i was standing too close to the set.

The only real problem this TV had was with tearing in 60Hz only with component video and HDMI but there is a software fix for it now which Samsung will do for you or they can send you the software and cable and you can do-it-yourself! It's NOT a hardware fault.

Presumably all TVs made from now onward will include this fixed 'firmware' but you aren't guaranteed to get one of those if you order now since you might get one from older stock. However, it's a simple fix so it's not a problem if you do have a TV that tears.

so what is the difference between the r41 and r51?
And does it definately have freeview as on the dixons website it states that it doesn't have a digital tuner.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom