Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Samsung LE26 High Def with PC Input?

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Turl2, Oct 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Turl2

Turl2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm ready to purchase a Samsung LE26R41BD for use with a Media Centre PC and Xbox 360 but i'm not sure if High Definition will be supported from the PC source via the VGA D-Sub input.

Is it possible to use the HMDI connector for the PC input with the appropriate lead?. It would be a shame to miss out on the available HD content that is available via the PC.

Any configuration suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,

Turl

2. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508
    yes it is possible, You will just need to purchase a DVI to HDMI lead

3. lrbh

lrbh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    @beasty54
    So you've actually tested this? Connecting youre PC to the LCD's HDMI input with a DVI->HDMI cable or adapter? And be able to display 1280x720p ?

I need to know if its possible before I purchase this LCD.

Thanks!

-lrbh-

4. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508
    I havn't tested it as ive only just ordered my sammy (due next week) but from what ive read it works fine

5. Tokyo_Postcode

Tokyo_Postcode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't help u with question about using DVI - HDMI, but what I can tell u is that my LE26R51BD arrived from Dixons this morning (£699 online special) and I'm alreay loving it.

I'm using the VGA cable to connect to my PC and the picture is stunning. This is without spending any time tweaking the various settings. I've changed my resolution to 1366x768 @ 60hz and loaded up HL2 which supports this widescreen resolution.

Yummy :)

I've also ran a HD 1280x720 trailer for the Alan Wake game and again this looked excellent. There are some minor issues that i will no doubt be able to overcome with some tweaking but overall I am really impressed with this tv / monitor. This is my first venture into LCD and I've got to admit the technology had come along way since it first arrived on the scene.

I'm pretty sure I found another thread on this forum that suggested that the VGA input gave a better picture than the dvi on this set. I'll do a comparison at some stage but either way the VGA picture is more than acceptable.

Finally, I would recommend getting the LE26R51BD rather than the LE26R41BD if possible. They are very similar sets but the 51 has a better response time (8ms vs. 12ms). This makes it more suitable for use as a PC monitor.

Hope this helps.

TP

6. Tokyo_Postcode

Tokyo_Postcode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just double checked this b4 replying. The VGA input on the Sammy supports the native resoultion of 1366x768 (see my previous reply).This is an HD ready resoultion which will happily support 1280x720 sources (e.g. HD tv and XBOX 360).

So yes you can use the VGA input for HD sources. The only difference between the VGA input and the HDMI / DVI input is that HDMI / DVI will give you a slightly better image quality (in theory). However, based on my current VGA picture it's gonna have to be pretty damn special to beat it.

7. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    The response time is the same on the R51's and R41's. The only difference is cosmetic.

8. lrbh

lrbh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for your reply:D
    I always thought that you needed DVI or HDMI to get the full HD experience, but I've heard that the Sammy has very good picture with VGA input.

I think I'm going to buy the LE26R51 from Pixmania for 891€ :)

9. Tokyo_Postcode

Tokyo_Postcode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a good thread which explains the difference between VGA and DVI / HDMI:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250175

10. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508

:eek: Why would you spend £700 for this tv when you can get it for under £600 including postage from so many other online retailers

11. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508
    Sorry my mistake....you purchased the IDTV version.
    You can still get it for about £650, just dont know why anyone would order from dixons

12. Tokyo_Postcode

Tokyo_Postcode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dixons were the cheapest I found on the net for the LE26R51BD. RRP is £800 and I got it for £699. I'm no fan of theirs but they had a £50 off promotion reducing the price from their normal £749.

The LE26R41BD can be found for less, but as far as I am aware this model does have a different response time (12ms vs. 8ms). However, finding a definitive answer is proving to be difficult. Some people say the sets are the same, some say they are different.

13. Moily

Moily

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The LExxR41B/D and the LExxR51B/D sets are identical, specification-wise - ie. 12ms response time. The new R61 model is quoting a response time of 8ms, though.

14. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Homecinematv have it for £621 delivered I think.

But both have 12ms response times.

15. Tokyo_Postcode

Tokyo_Postcode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No offense....but how do you know the response times for both these sets are definitely 12ms?

I have scoured the web for hours and cannot find anything official confirming this. As I said previously, some people state they are both 12ms and some state that the 51 model is 8ms.

I would love to know the definitive answer. I paid extra for the 51 under the impression that it was going to be better suited to PC gaming (not that 12ms isn't also good).

16. Turl2

Turl2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses......picked up the LE26 yesterday and so far I'm impressed.

Looking forward to Xbox 360 HD gaming later this year then :smashin:

Turl

17. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    This stems from the fact that response times can be measured in a few different ways, in much the same way as contrast can also be measured differently.

As for HDMI input from a pc, trust me, you don't want to do this. The set will suffer overscan on the hdmi input, so you won't get 1:1 pixel mapping. However, the standard D-Sub vga input is superb, easily acceptable, and in conjunction with it's auto setup feature, will provide you a VERY good 1:1 mapped picture.

18. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,022
    The only difference between the 41 and the 51 is the "v" shape bottom to the black surround. the 51's were specially produced forthe Dixon group of companies which is probably why you won't find them for sale elsewhere...check out www.webelectricals.co.uk as their price for the 41 was sub-£600 with free delivery when I bought mine a couple of weeks ago. I understand that the 61 has the 8ms.

19. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Because the only difference between 41 and 51 is cosmetic, the panel is exactly the same.

20. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,022
    Just got off the phone with my guy at Samsung...I don't mind admitting when I am wrong...the 51 DOES have 8ms as opposed to 12ms on the 41, tHe other differences are that the Picture in Picture on the 41 only has PC as one of the pictures. the 51 can have HDMI and a couple of others as well as PC. The only other difference (ASIDE FROM THE COSMETIC) is that the 51 also has a DVID socket as well as a HDMI socket...

...hope that clears that up, straight from the horses mouth @ Samsung Tech Advice.

21. Tokyo_Postcode

Tokyo_Postcode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Decadence

Great job. I was gonna e-mail them but u got there first. Glad to know I wasn't living in cloud cuckoo land.

I also read somewhere that the 51 comes with an updated firmware (I know the 41 suffered from tearing issues which required a firmware upgrade to fix).

Either way, I'm still chuffed to bits with my set. Watched some DVD's last night via component input and was blown away by the picture quality. It's the closest to CRT that I've seen on an LCD panel. Excellent contrast and not too much digital noise. No doubt the picture will get even better as I start to tweak the settings some more.

And as for HL2 in widescreen......... :) :) :) :) :)

22. Tokyo_Postcode

Tokyo_Postcode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really useful response NackNack...!!! Your well contructed and logical presentation of the evidence was particularly inspiring.

IT IS SO BECAUSE I SAY SO.

Sweet.

23. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,022
    No need for things to descend...it's not that kind of Forum chaps.

I bought the 41 as I didn't think the extra features were of benefit for the extra cost to me.

I don't think the human eye can detect the difference between 8ms and 12ms anyway, I am only playing Eve Online and Warhammer Dawn of War at he moment.

...but I do think that the 51 is a tad better looking than the 41, just not £100+ better ;)

24. lrbh

lrbh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thats not true. The TV only has HDMI socket. Just look up samsung's web or the manual. If this was the case, Im sure that Samsung would state this on the specs, because this means alot!

25. Tokyo_Postcode

Tokyo_Postcode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right....sorry for posting my sarcastic comment NackNack. However, I was looking for facts rather than opinions.

This forum has been a great source of information for me over the past year or so. Long may it continue to do so...... :)

26. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I am reading this correctly you are saying that the Samsung 51 series has BOTH DVI and HDMI sockets? (that's a major selling feature)

The user reports, Samsung online, and online traders have not mention this, is it only the 26" model?

I thought both the 41 series and 51 series had VGA and HDMI.......

27. Tokyo_Postcode

Tokyo_Postcode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My LE26R51BD only has one HDMI/DVI socket (i.e. you would need a DVI to HDMI cable).

Hope this helps.

28. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508
    So if the specs on the 51 are slightly better than the 41, samsung have made some slight modifications on the LE26R41B and made a better TV, then made it available to purchase from the dixons group only???
    What possible reason would they have for doing that???

29. JohnM8

JohnM8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also thinking of purchasing a Samsung LE26R51BD, having gone around the shops comparing the different manufacturers and models. At first I was considering a Sony Bravia KDLS26, but for the extra £100 or so I think the Samsung has a better picture. The Sony V range boasted a sharper picture with action scenes but for the high price tag of about £1400....it's a big no no!

Anyway, onto my query, I shall have the LCD professionally fitted and I was asked what sort of connectivity I wanted, because once the wall is chased out, there's no going back. I would like to connect my PC (XC Cube EA65-11a2.0) primarily for video playback via a DVI to HDMI cable as suggested here. If I later wanted to connect up HDMI AV equipment, is there an adaptor to convert DVI to HDMI?
    Or would my best option be to go for a vga cable as my card supports both DVI and VGA and have a HDMI to HDMI cable. The installer told me that a 5 metre hdmi cable would cost about £120, I don't want to spend unnecessary money on something I may not use.

Best price I can find so far for the Samsung is £684 from Pixmania....seems like a bargain to me!

30. v_legendary25

v_legendary25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So does connecting the PC via DVI-HDMI actually work?