Samsung LE-F86 Series Thread *Part 2*

in my opinion, no, its still as bad, and the tv, i think works/performs better with it off.
its a mode that other manufacturers can get right, but samsung just cant.

Hi there,

after I bought my F86 back in November 2007 I never used the HDMI 3 port. Yesterday though I bought a new HDMI device, connected it to HDMI 3, but it didn't work correctly, stripes through the signal, snow and sound that disappears and re-appears out of nothing.

I called Samsung right away and this afternoon there was a repairman already on my doorstep! He thinks it's something with the mainboard, or maybe a subboard since this HDMI 3 connection is on the side of the panel. They will be replacing the panel somewhere in the next few weeks.

Also asked him about my other "problem"; when watching football I can see 3 balls if the ball moves fast over the pitch. He said it's just this type of television, no firmware update can fix this. Do you think this is correct? I attached a screenshot so you can see my current firmware version, never updated it, so it's the one that was supplied on new F86's back in November 2007. What do you guys think about this, should I ask if they update the firmware to the latest version, should I try to get one myself and try to update it? Or could he be right?

Thanks!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0773 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0773 [800x600].JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 2,260
Hi

Hope someone on here might be able to assist with this.

I have had, untill now, two HDMI sources. A Sony Blue Ray player and a PS3. They used HDMI 1 or 2, didn't matter. I got Sky HD and now with three sources, the PS3 got demoted, for no real reason to the third port. It wont work, nada........nothing.

Swapping things round, the Blue Ray player will not work and the Sky will show picture but no sound in HDMI 3. I have played with lots of cables and still nothing. They all still work, any cable in 1 or 2

Is there a connection ( no pun intended ) with the PS and BD player being Sony? Why only the pictures with SKY? I would say a purely port fault but for the Sky box showing pictures and no sound.

Any help, pointers or advice gratefully received.

Greig :D

Edit: ( IN case it matters )

T-PONPEUMD-1004.0
T-PNRPEUS-1001.1
PEONY_ROSE_TR-1004.0

Last edited:
Did you read my post GStev? For me HDMI 3 only worked ok with 570p input, all modes above that; 720p 1080i 1080p were giving various troubles.

Did you read my post GStev? For me HDMI 3 only worked ok with 570p input, all modes above that; 720p 1080i 1080p were giving various troubles.

ThanksQuassum. I did read this but as sky sorta works, wasnt sure if it was the same problem. I am going to try later and change all the resolutions, just to see. It may just be faulty and i need a repair.

Greig

I have one 52A656 and 40F86, and im wondering that is it as easy to update the firmware if F86 that it is on A656?

Any tips?

I don't know what is happening with this forum but lately I see less an less posts. Last post is from 1 week ago. Either people had changed their F86 for better ones or ... I don't know. No more news about v1009?

Cheers.

Hello everyone,

It has been a while since my last post, I have a question, which I believe I already know the answer to, but need to ask.

I have had my F86 for over a year now and only just realised it has an optical output and my question is about that output.

Can the F86 relay sound of other devices, like a PS3 connected via HDMI through its optical output to an AV Unit/All-in-one Surround Sound unit?

I do not think it has that ability but would rather get an answer from someone that knows more about TV's

Hi guys,
I wonder if anyone here can help me. I have a problem with my le40f86bdx.
I get random black lines going across the bottom half of the screen, I can only really describe it as like black scan lines.
It appears on all channels hdmi 1/2/3, pc, tv etc.

Hello everyone,

It has been a while since my last post, I have a question, which I believe I already know the answer to, but need to ask.

I have had my F86 for over a year now and only just realised it has an optical output and my question is about that output.

Can the F86 relay sound of other devices, like a PS3 connected via HDMI through its optical output to an AV Unit/All-in-one Surround Sound unit?

I do not think it has that ability but would rather get an answer from someone that knows more about TV's

Hi Mob,

I have my sky hd,EP30 and PS3 running through the TV to my Logitech Z5500's works great :smashin:

Hello everyone,

yes, but its stereo only, so no matter what you feed into it, the optical port will only pass stereo audio.

Hi All,

I've had my Samsung 40LEF86 for over a year now and have recently been experiencing a problem with the remote control.
I can turn the TV on from standby with it but then almost straight away I can't operate any other functions from the remote with it. The red LED remote light flashes as I turn the TV on - can't remember if it did that before.

I have tried tuning my Sky HD remote into the TV which seems to work as again I can turn the TV on with it but almost straight-away I can't operate any other functions e.g. volume.

I say almost straight away in both cases as if I'm quick I can change source, volume etc but then in both remote cases it fails to do anything else and I have to press the buttons on the TV.

I have changed the batteries in the remote and pressed the reset button but no joy.
I can't say for sure but I'm this started to occur around the time I had my Sky box upgraded to SkyHD. I've read about possible IR interference but no specific cases between SkyHD and Samsung TVs.
Has anyone else had this problem, can you suggest anything I could try? It's very frustrating! :( Thanks.

Hi

Had a problem with my remote a while ago. All I did was press the reset button on the remote (using a toothpick) which seemed to solve the issue. Don't know if it will help but it's maybe worth a try?

Hi All,

I've had my Samsung 40LEF86 for over a year now and have recently been experiencing a problem with the remote control.
I can turn the TV on from standby with it but then almost straight away I can't operate any other functions from the remote with it. The red LED remote light flashes as I turn the TV on - can't remember if it did that before.

I have tried tuning my Sky HD remote into the TV which seems to work as again I can turn the TV on with it but almost straight-away I can't operate any other functions e.g. volume.

I say almost straight away in both cases as if I'm quick I can change source, volume etc but then in both remote cases it fails to do anything else and I have to press the buttons on the TV.

I have changed the batteries in the remote and pressed the reset button but no joy.
I can't say for sure but I'm this started to occur around the time I had my Sky box upgraded to SkyHD. I've read about possible IR interference but no specific cases between SkyHD and Samsung TVs.
Has anyone else had this problem, can you suggest anything I could try? It's very frustrating! :( Thanks.

Hi

My set has developed an intermittant fault over the last week. Settings made to the tv are returning themselves to default.

This will occur around 4-6 times a day depending on how long the tv is on for...sometimes its only 2 or 3. What happens is the screen goes black for about 5 seconds (audio remains) and then all the setings are reset.

My info: LE40F86BDX

TPONFM 1006.0
TPNR 1001.1
PEONY ROSE 1006.0

OCT 26th 2007

Anyone have any advice? Is there anything known about this issue...

I will contact SAMSUNG tomorrow and then Cramptons where i bought the set after that.

Thanks

I have an issue which I'd appreciate your thoughts on

I have the LE40F86BD and have it hooked up to my PS3 via HDMI.
I have a USB HDD conencted to the PS3 with Xvid's on it.

I have for the past year had no issues playing the Xvids and watching them on my TV

Just yesterday the TV started switching to standby and then back on again at random intervals during Xvid playback. DVD playback seems OK

I updated to the latest firmware yesterday (2.70)
I had the issue before and after the firmware update

thanks

Hi,

I have LE46F86BDX/XEH,
DTV software 1002
Micom Version 1007.0
Sub micom 1001.1

I have the same problem more than 3 weeks, the TV switch OFF to standby mode and switch on in one second. It happened random, sometimes 5 minutes from first switch on, sometimes 30 minutes, sometime it is ok and don't switch off/on. It always happened when a watching TV over STB.

Could you help me pls?

And what is the actual firmware on this TV (1009)? Where can I download it? A contact 4 services in my country and they told me I have actual firmware and then they finish o communicate with me...

Thanks,

Vladimir

I had this issue a couple of months back, after 13 months of ownership.. but thankfully bought through JL so getting someone out was simple. They came, they didn't see as it was so hit and miss when it happened - DVD, Cable and or SD, so wasn't too stunned when they said they would have to take it away. So away ot went for 2 weeks only to be returned with NFF (no fault found) - They did say that they reseated anything and everything and couldn't see any issues, no biggy there... but since it's little trip all has been perfect again.

If you are still covered my advice get someone out before upgrading the F/W, having worked in IT and know a little about F/W I can say the latest isn't always the greatest.

All that said have to say really very pleased with the set, had no issues (other than this) and the picture is stunning as ever.

Hope you get it sorted and start enjoying again.

I had this issue a couple of months back, after 13 months of ownership.. but thankfully bought through JL so getting someone out was simple. They came, they didn't see as it was so hit and miss when it happened - DVD, Cable and or SD, so wasn't too stunned when they said they would have to take it away. So away ot went for 2 weeks only to be returned with NFF (no fault found) - They did say that they reseated anything and everything and couldn't see any issues, no biggy there... but since it's little trip all has been perfect again.

If you are still covered my advice get someone out before upgrading the F/W, having worked in IT and know a little about F/W I can say the latest isn't always the greatest.

All that said have to say really very pleased with the set, had no issues (other than this) and the picture is stunning as ever.

Hope you get it sorted and start enjoying again.

Hi could you pls. send me information, what version of firmware do you have and your settings on move and standard mode? Thanks

Hello Chaps,
Havnt posted or looked on the thread in a very long time. Havnt the time to read through the pages I have missed but just wondering if theres been a firmware update to stop the "hum bars" plus I have ghosting on HDMI 2.

I think changing the energy saving level to low in the setup menu makes the triple ball affect go away as before i changed it i always used to notice it, i havent got a ps3 so havent been able to check the humbars or view at 24p but i have connected my pc to the tv and havent seen any yet.. btw my screen in ss04 and the firmware is 1006, also use the hdtvtest D65 settings for a fab picture, watched the champs league yesterday on itvhd amazing pq and no triple ball

Can anyone recommend a reliable knowledgeable service company who have updated their SS04 set to firmware 1009 and would be available for call out to the Gloucester area?

While my set was still under warranty Samsung called in Genserve of Swindon, who visited twice to update firmware but they didn't have access to, or at least couldn't find 1009 on the Samsung website.
So I have given up on them now.

I'm happy to pay for an upgrade now if I can find anyone who will come and do it.

Thanks in advance

Just noticed when playing PS3 through HDMI that the mode was locked to standard and I couldn't change it to dynamic, is it meant to be like this?

I'm sure I've been able to have it on dynamic mode before through HDMI or could this be a fault thats developed?

I´ve had my LE46F86BD for almost 2 years, bought it the 15th november 2007 from the biggest onlineshop in Sweden(Dustin) and ive been one happy owner.
Last week something changed and i dont know what. The TV has been on a wallmount since week 1.

I called samsung, they have 2year warranty, but not on this TV since Dustin havent bought it from them. I called Dustin, they say nooooo its 1 year only.

Modelcode LE46F86BDX/XEC
Type PY46EO

The first 2 pictures is from a 720p movie and the other is the analogue cabel, which really sucks, but i still see my vertical lines. Anyone have any clues at all?

Ive tried all 3 hdmicontacts and no difference. I got my HTPC which has hdmiout connected to the tv. Tried changing from 24-60hz on graphicscard but no change. Also tried alot of different setups on the tv.

Since english isnt my first language i dont understand what humbars is, and also what is clouding?

Added the pictures as links cause they are big (4mb)
http://ringleader.no-ip.org/bild1.JPG
http://ringleader.no-ip.org/bild2.JPG
http://ringleader.no-ip.org/bild3.JPG

My 26-month old LE40F86 died on Tuesday, the dreaded "click of death" where the thing just wouldn't turn on, but kept clicking as if it was trying to power up when plugged in to the wall.

After much Google-fu it seemed like the main power board was at fault and these things are quite costly to replace (I've heard £250 + labour).

Fortunately after much Google-fu I found these instructions, and having disassembled the thing there were indeed four blown capacitors on the inverter board, which I replaced using supplies from Maplins costing about £5.

Four hours later, it worked again!

I'm no soldering genius, and I suppose you might count me as lucky, but I spent four hours doing this very carefully and having been all set to abandon the 26-month-old set and its potential servicing costs and shell out for a new 50" LED-lit or plasma set having weighed things up in my mind, I'm quite chuffed I've saved it and would throughly recommend other people with the click-of-death at least give this a go - you can't make things worse, after all!

Next time I'll go for a third-party extended warranty - I didn't envisage keeping the TV for more than about two years before 'upgrading' anyway, but it has been a very good buy and I'm still pleased with it, and if I can wait for a set with the "3D ready" label next year (whatever the hell that ends up meaning...) I just might try to hang on.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom