Samsung LE-F86 Series Thread (100Hz, Auto Motion Plus, 25.000:1 Contrast Ratio)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually Harves,dont worry about checking for me. After reading some previous threads it seems that the 1009 update may make the backlight a little brighter and as im happy with the picture quality as it is (which is better than my old le37r87) and i dont see humbars etc im going to leave updating to 1009 from 1008 for now.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Anyone had the problem where this set switches into shop mode all on it's own? Was watching TV last night and the screen went black for a couple of seconds then came back on in Dynamic mode! After changing the settings back to how I like them I noticed it reset them back to factory defaults every time I switched the set off then back on again. I then changed the mode back to home mode. Anyone experienced this?

Ok,on second thoughts looks like im going to get the 1009 firmware after all,dvds dont look quite as sharp on this tv even though i dont have many compliants with freeview!

Ill ring samsung tomorrow and see if an engineer will come while im off work in 2 weeks.

Harves,sorry for being a pain.

But when you said the 1008 firmware made blacks look grey,did it affect the overall brightness of the screen at all? Did it make the screen brighter which would make blacks look grey?

When you said the 1009 firmware made blacks look black did it make the panel/backlight less bright if you know what i mean? I only ask as i think the 1008 is bright enough for me but id be chuffed if 1009 makes it less bright but not brighter.

I intend to phone for an engineer to install 1009 this week but id really apprieciate your repsonse before i do.

Cheers again buddy :thumbsup:

Harves,sorry for being a pain.

But when you said the 1008 firmware made blacks look grey,did it affect the overall brightness of the screen at all? Did it make the screen brighter which would make blacks look grey?

When you said the 1009 firmware made blacks look black did it make the panel/backlight less bright if you know what i mean? I only ask as i think the 1008 is bright enough for me but id be chuffed if 1009 makes it less bright but not brighter.

I intend to phone for an engineer to install 1009 this week but id really apprieciate your repsonse before i do.

Cheers again buddy :thumbsup:

The 1008 firmware didnt make the screen brighter so whatever caused the blacks not to be so deep it wasnt that. As soon as the 1008 was installed it just didnt look as good a quality picture as with 1007.The picture was flat.

Once I had the 1009 installed the difference was obvious. Arguablly the screen was brighter...more "pop". The picture was deeper and the blacks were excellent again.

Hope this helps.

The 1008 firmware didnt make the screen brighter so whatever caused the blacks not to be so deep it wasnt that. As soon as the 1008 was installed it just didnt look as good a quality picture as with 1007.The picture was flat.

Once I had the 1009 installed the difference was obvious. Arguablly the screen was brighter...more "pop". The picture was deeper and the blacks were excellent again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for getting back to me again. The reason im asking is i dont want the 1009 firmware to make the screen brighter and hurt my eyes,especially during night time viewing. Do you ever watch your F86 in the dark? If so are black levels still good?

I really apprieciate your opinion mate,cheers!

try using the d65 settings
Samsung LE40F86BD Settings After D65 Calibration

iv been using them for 10 months pic is better with these settings.
It may seem dark to start with but stick with them for a 3ish days when u get used to them switch bck to the mode that your currently using to compare how better they are.
Well thats my opion anyway

bri

Thanks for getting back to me again. The reason im asking is i dont want the 1009 firmware to make the screen brighter and hurt my eyes,especially during night time viewing. Do you ever watch your F86 in the dark? If so are black levels still good?

I really apprieciate your opinion mate,cheers!

I my room is very bright in the day as its south facing so for football and rugby
I tend to watch in Dynamic mode as this is very bright and has a high contrast.

At night when its dark and watching films I switch to standard or movie depending on the film and have the backlight around 5 or 6 and brightness at 43. Black levels excellent and doesnt hurt my eyes

try using the d65 settings
Samsung LE40F86BD Settings After D65 Calibration

iv been using them for 10 months pic is better with these settings.
It may seem dark to start with but stick with them for a 3ish days when u get used to them switch bck to the mode that your currently using to compare how better they are.
Well thats my opion anyway

bri

Cheers for that mate,ill try them out!

I my room is very bright in the day as its south facing so for football and rugby
I tend to watch in Dynamic mode as this is very bright and has a high contrast.

At night when its dark and watching films I switch to standard or movie depending on the film and have the backlight around 5 or 6 and brightness at 43. Black levels excellent and doesnt hurt my eyes

I think my eyes are probably more sensitive than yours are then lol. Plus my room is pretty dark as my tv is in an alcove without any light directly on it.

Whites on 1008 seem pretty intense to me as it is.

This tv lark is so complicated nowadays. I normally have the backlight set to 2 otherwise its too bright for me,and nightime viewing is difficult so i have a side lamp on.

Im still thinking whether to change to 1009 or not though,im just cautious about making the picture too bright with too much "pop". Cheers again mate!

I have a SQ01 set and sometimes experience motion judder when watching football through Sky HD. The engineer came round the other week and upgraded the firmware to 100.7 which he sais was the latest one for this set & should fix the issue.

However I'm still experiencing this issue, does anyone have any suggestions to what else I could try? Could it be any issue with the Sky HD box?

No, its an issue with the tv.
there is firmware 1007.1,but you would have to read through the earlier posts to see if it solved the problem.
as far as im aware,samsung seem to have dumped support for those models,and only released firmware for the ""xx"02/"xx"04 models.

No, its an issue with the tv.
there is firmware 1007.1,but you would have to read through the earlier posts to see if it solved the problem.
as far as im aware,samsung seem to have dumped support for those models,and only released firmware for the ""xx"02/"xx"04 models.

Apparently this TV has an issue with ALL Satellite Boxes. I live in Romania and I have a Digital TV Box and the worst problem for me are the hum bars. I hope that 1009 will cure this. Unfortunately there is no Samsung Romania :thumbsdow

Anybody knows if this upgrade can be done via USB or do I need a technician from the service company to come to my house?

Thanx.

Great forum :thumbsup:.

Apparently this TV has an issue with ALL Satellite Boxes. I live in Romania and I have a Digital TV Box and the worst problem for me are the hum bars. I hope that 1009 will cure this. Unfortunately there is no Samsung Romania :thumbsdow

Anybody knows if this upgrade can be done via USB or do I need a technician from the service company to come to my house?

Thanx.

Great forum :thumbsup:.

You will need a technician to visit you/take your TV away to upgrade the set.

Well, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for the help and the thanks I have also received through out the F86 Journey.

Unfortunately I am about to jump ship from this super TV due to humbars not being totally removed on 50Hz material (SS04). It has been confirmed that my TV can not be repaired. And as expected, due to the new range of TV's there is no option to try a new F86 (not that I believe it would be any better)

Anyways, if you do own an F86 other than a SQ panel then I highly recommend you upgrade to 1009 as it is, from my experience the daddy out of all of the firmwares. It does completely remove humbars from 60Hz, it does completely remove the flicker from 24Hz and it does address TBE, motion plus and remote response.......to a degree, but it does not remove the faint humbars from 50Hz

If you can't see these humbars then don't worry about it and continue to be happy with a fabulous television.

I will keep an eye out on this thread until I get me a new TV incase anyone needs convincing to push to 1009 (hopefully next week, fingers crossed)

Hi, today I got a technician over to upgrade my firmware from 1007 to 1009 on my SS04 device.
I wasn't at home myself so couldn't check if he upgraded to the right version, but now when I look in the setup menu (Info, Menu, Mute, Power) I still says 1007.
Does this mean I still have 1007??? Is this the only way to check the firmware version?

Hi, today I got a technician over to upgrade my firmware from 1007 to 1009 on my SS04 device.
I wasn't at home myself so couldn't check if he upgraded to the right version, but now when I look in the setup menu (Info, Menu, Mute, Power) I still says 1007.
Does this mean I still have 1007??? Is this the only way to check the firmware version?

If it still says 1007 in the service menu then you are still on 1007......this is an issue as don't know how you can raise this without admitting that you have gone into the service menu....which will void your warranty.

Suppose the only option you have is to call Samsung and say the issues still exist that you presumably reported initially to get the non existant upgrade.

:oops:

Where is written that if you enter into the Service Menu you loose the warranty?

Well, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for the help and the thanks I have also received through out the F86 Journey.

Unfortunately I am about to jump ship from this super TV due to humbars not being totally removed on 50Hz material (SS04). It has been confirmed that my TV can not be repaired. And as expected, due to the new range of TV's there is no option to try a new F86 (not that I believe it would be any better)

Anyways, if you do own an F86 other than a SQ panel then I highly recommend you upgrade to 1009 as it is, from my experience the daddy out of all of the firmwares. It does completely remove humbars from 60Hz, it does completely remove the flicker from 24Hz and it does address TBE, motion plus and remote response.......to a degree, but it does not remove the faint humbars from 50Hz

If you can't see these humbars then don't worry about it and continue to be happy with a fabulous television.

I will keep an eye out on this thread until I get me a new TV incase anyone needs convincing to push to 1009 (hopefully next week, fingers crossed)
:) Enjay good luck, I have had mine upgraded to 1009 and I did not really see much difference although still setting it back up, the reason I went for the upgrade was to try to get rid of the TBE effect on games, I notice that it is really bad when 100hz is on but when its off it is perfect. Also when I watch BD or HD dvd's I cant watch it without 100hz on.

Is this normal, did you get this as well or should i still keep pushing, as the engineer is saying he is going to change my mainboard again, that will be the 4th visit.

Thanks mate

Where is written that if you enter into the Service Menu you loose the warranty?

Phone Samsung and tell them your TV is faulty and you have been messing around in the service menu and see how helpful they are:lesson:

If the service menu was to be accessed by anyone but a qualified service engineer then why would to have to apply a sequence of keypresses to access it - surely it would be open in the normal menu??

:) Enjay good luck, I have had mine upgraded to 1009 and I did not really see much difference although still setting it back up, the reason I went for the upgrade was to try to get rid of the TBE effect on games, I notice that it is really bad when 100hz is on but when its off it is perfect. Also when I watch BD or HD dvd's I cant watch it without 100hz on.

Is this normal, did you get this as well or should i still keep pushing, as the engineer is saying he is going to change my mainboard again, that will be the 4th visit.

Thanks mate

The 100Hz is pretty naff, I never pushed anything with that, just the humbars and flicker really.

I am surprised Samsung are going to do a 4th repair as they operate a 3 strike policy - you have nothing to lose by phoning Samsung to complain again - as it would be the 4th time you should be offered a 656 or credit note.

Last edited:
If it still says 1007 in the service menu then you are still on 1007......this is an issue as don't know how you can raise this without admitting that you have gone into the service menu....which will void your warranty.

Suppose the only option you have is to call Samsung and say the issues still exist that you presumably reported initially to get the non existant upgrade.

:oops:
Well, strangest thing happened to me...
I live in Holland and as I told a few posts back the mechanic supposingly "upgraded" my firmware from 1007 to 1009 yesterday, but my setup menu still shows 1007.
So I called the repaircompany of Samsung and they told me the strangest thing: they DID upgrade the firmware but you can't see that in the setup menu (????).
The version shown in the setup menu is the SOFTWARE version and not the firmware. I got more and more surprised especcially when he said that noone couldn't see which firmware version you have or upgrade to, only the people in the Samsung factory...
Then he told me the firmware they flashed on my device is FRC-S (?). Now I'm completely lost, because FRC-S is the mainboard I believe and not firmware.
When I told him about this forum and many users worldwide are talking about firmware 1009 he stated that they all are wrong: firmware change can't be seen, fimware version is FRC-S.

Anyone heard such a story?
Don't know what to do yet, when I call them again they will do the same thing I'm afraid.

I live in Holland and as I told a few posts back the mechanic supposingly "upgraded" my firmware from 1007 to 1009 yesterday, but my setup menu still shows 1007.
So I called the repaircompany of Samsung and they told me the strangest thing: they DID upgrade the firmware but you can't see that in the setup menu (????).
Just got the humbars/flickering on my LE40F86 fixed at last today (only took 4 engineer visits :( ) and despite this supposedly involving an upgrade to the latest firmware I have the same thing, the service menu still reads 1007.0 with date December 2007. The engineer claimed that these numbers don't necessarily change when they apply the new firmware so I'm not sure where the version number 1009 everyone is talking about actually comes in. I guess the important thing is that the flickering and humbars are finally gone. I'm still not quite convinced it's absolutely perfect but it's infinitely better than it was and definitely good enough to live with.

What's not so great is when they switched out the mainboard on their 3rd visit the auto wide aspect ratio switching stopped working and it's still not working after today's upgrade. So now I need to decide if I can live with that or go through the whole thing again *sigh*. As my housemate keeps helpfully telling me: "Should've got a Sony Bravia!". :rolleyes:

The version shown in the setup menu is the SOFTWARE version and not the firmware. I got more and more surprised especcially when he said that noone couldn't see which firmware version you have or upgrade to, only the people in the Samsung factory...
Then he told me the firmware they flashed on my device is FRC-S (?). Now I'm completely lost, because FRC-S is the mainboard I believe and not firmware.
When I told him about this forum and many users worldwide are talking about firmware 1009 he stated that they all are wrong: firmware change can't be seen, fimware version is FRC-S.

Anyone heard such a story?
Don't know what to do yet, when I call them again they will do the same thing I'm afraid.

FRC-S does contain firmware and I believe that this upgrade is available to SQ sets but not SS04 sets.

Firmware / Software wise there is indeed a 1009 and if it is applied it will be indicated in the service menu. I believe....but could be wrong that the 1009 upgrade contains both firmware and software - in fact it must contain some firmware otherwise it wouldn't be able to remove humbars and flicker from the picture.

It could be that on the SS04 sets for instance the upgrade hits all except the DVB but in the SQ set for example it may require a seperate FRC upgrade.

What panel do you have? there is a 1009 for SS04 and a 1007.1 for SQ01 and it will be easy to identify via the service menu.

There are a few boards inside the TV that are flashed, the FRC is just one of them (I think SQ01 has FRC-S and SS04 have FRC-M) and differs between variouse panel combinations.

FRC-S does contain firmware and I believe that this upgrade is available to SQ sets but not SS04 sets.

Firmware / Software wise there is indeed a 1009 and if it is applied it will be indicated in the service menu. I believe....but could be wrong that the 1009 upgrade contains both firmware and software - in fact it must contain some firmware otherwise it wouldn't be able to remove humbars and flicker from the picture.

It could be that on the SS04 sets for instance the upgrade hits all except the DVB but in the SQ set for example it may require a seperate FRC upgrade.

What panel do you have? there is a 1009 for SS04 and a 1007.1 for SQ01 and it will be easy to identify via the service menu.

There are a few boards inside the TV that are flashed, the FRC is just one of them (I think SQ01 has FRC-S and SS04 have FRC-M) and differs between variouse panel combinations.
Thnx for your reply enjay77,

my set is SS04 and currently my setup menu says 1007 (dec. 2007) (as already told, I could be 2009 but that I don't know).
Seems I have a a FRC-S board, at least according to the person I talked to, he said they used the FRC-S upgrade. So an other combination then you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom