Samsung LE-A656 FULL HD 100Hz(50.000:1 CONTRAST,USB,6ms RESPONSE TIME) *Part 3*

SadSamsung

Standard Member
sorry forgot to add I've tried all 4 hdmi ports on the tv with the same result . I have connected the virgin hd box to each of these and it displays fine over all 4.

EarthRod

Distinguished Member
OK.

Just to cover the point again: because the Virgin box works successfully the TV HDMI inputs are not faulty.

So the problem lies elsewhere:
(a) HDMI cable problem
(b) HDMI handshaking issue
(c) PS3 problem

As you have already swapped HDMI cables (a) is cleared, assuming you are using HDMI 1.3 compatible cables (HDMI cable geeks - no comments please).

Sony are notorious for not incorporating HDMI CEC standard protocols. Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp etc follow these HDMI signalling protocols - but not Sony, so (b) could be the problem.

I don't have a PS3 so cannot comment about (c). But other people have had major HDMI handshaking issue using PS3 with other equipment. Recommend doing a search on the internet.

As a double-check make sure the HDMI cable is OK. I'll stay clear of talking about HDMI cable standards.

sikpete

Standard Member
Hey have a samsung le40656a1 uk . i have had it for nearly 3 years. no problems up till now. Last night finished playing an xbox session changed to dtv and the picture has a red rinse to it. Now every black has a red tint to as if its lost contast . the tv flickers for 3 min every now and then, during these flickers for a second or so the tv goes correct. tried updating fw didnt change anything. not been into service menu to do fac reset as i dont know what im doing. any ideas?

sikpete

Standard Member
update: ran the factory reset no change so im now guessing its a hardware fault could just be a loose cable/connector?:confused:

Stanman

Two questions, can the telly power a aerial like some PVR can as I cant get any pictures via freeview - am in a FV area.

2. IS there any way it can auto detect and switch to an input source as every time I need to do it manually.

Thanks in advance.

CellZapper

Standard Member
Hi all

I have an intermitant menu fault on my LE52A656A1FXXU

The set puts up the menu screen intermitantly, or switches channel, or switches to analogue, or turns the volume down to zero, or just switches off.

I have cleaned the TV bezel as advised online by Samsung (for the volume problem) with no effect.

I have taken the batteries out of my remote controls, no effect.

The set has been getting worse, It used to only occur on freeview, but now occurs on hdmi as well (worse since freeview/digital upgrade, (I now have no analogue signal)).

I origianlly thought it was caused by very poor freview signal, but an aerial upgrade did not fix it

Am I looking at a psu problem, or intermitant cable ?????

Thanks for any clues

Where can I buy reliable spare parts.

Thanks Chris

EarthRod

Distinguished Member
Hi all

The set puts up the menu screen intermitantly, or switches channel, or switches to analogue, or turns the volume down to zero, or just switches off.

I have cleaned the TV bezel as advised online by Samsung (for the volume problem) with no effect.

The set has been getting worse, It used to only occur on freeview, but now occurs on hdmi as well (worse since freeview/digital upgrade, (I now have no analogue signal)).

I origianlly thought it was caused by very poor freview signal, but an aerial upgrade did not fix it

Thanks for any clues

Thanks Chris

Haven't looked in this thread for some time - I thought it was dead!

From what you are saying it looks like you have an external interference problem which is randomly causing your TV to think the remote buttons have been pressed.

This can be caused by:
* Stress on the TV bezel pulling the sensor circuit board.
* Other remotes.
* Energy-saving light bulbs close to the TV.
* Microwave cookers.

It will difficult to find the cause of this form of interference because it might not be your TV or remote.

CellZapper

Standard Member
Haven't looked in this thread for some time - I thought it was dead!

From what you are saying it looks like you have an external interference problem which is randomly causing your TV to think the remote buttons have been pressed.

This can be caused by:
* Stress on the TV bezel pulling the sensor circuit board.
* Other remotes.
* Energy-saving light bulbs close to the TV.
* Microwave cookers.

It will difficult to find the cause of this form of interference because it might not be your TV or remote.

Thanks for your reply Alan CD

(1) Bezel more later....

(2) Other remotes, I am sure that I have removed all remotes from the room in the past, I will try again soon.

(3) The problem occurs with the CFL lights off (lots), in the dark at night and in daylight.

(4) The Microwave is several rooms away and not in use when the problem occurs.

More on the bezel,

I have just had 2 days almost problem free, only about 4 glitches,
BUT NONE with various lights on (testing) and all my remotes on the room.

WHAT CLEARED IT, well since some building work caused my wife to vacuum clean the set ..... She fixed it... almost... back with a vengeance this morning, switching to analogue every 2 minutes (no analogue signal just white fizz) or rapidly moving up channels when pressing the info button on remote.

This maybe answers the problem, why it has got worse recently, due to the use of an auto mount fitted a while back, when the set turns of randomly it can confuse the mount, and last night it turned off randomly, and when turned back on the auto mount tapped the bezel on the wall .......and the fault has returned. (note the fault has been on the set from new, 3 years, with various levels of annoyance)

Can you offer any advice how to get at the rear of the bezel to examine (hopefully fix) the problem. Are there any service manuals available on the web ? (I am an retired electronics engineer so the set is (reasonably) safe in my hands)

Thanks Chris

Mod Edit: font tags removed

Last edited by a moderator:

peachdesk

Standard Member
I have this TV for 4 years just recently it switches on by itself every one hour or so from standy. Any idea whats causing it ?

richardr

I have this TV for 4 years just recently it switches on by itself every one hour or so from standy. Any idea whats causing it ?
No help to you, but funnily enough mine has recently started doing the same (although I can't vouch for the time gap from standby.

After working fine since new, for a short while it did as CellZapper's did - mainly switching to its own tuner and changing channel (I mostly use one of the HDMI inputs). Thus now seems to have stopped, but it now switches itself on when in standby.

Thus happens both:

1 - at night in the dark with no light in the room
2 - at day when there is no artificial light

It has been happening every evening and every daytime consistently for the past few days.

It turns on to the input last watched, and as that is usually a Sky box via HDMI, there is no picture or sound input (and what's more I have the sound at nil anyway as I use a separate amp.

Landon

Standard Member
Hiya,

I have a bit of a problem with my 3-year-old 40" A656. There are faint but noticeable dark spots/blotches in the top left and right corners of the screen. These 'cloudy' spots are relatively small and they can only be noticed on brightly coloured or white backgrounds. I wouldn't lose any sleep over this since it's not a big issue but still I would like to know what causes these dark spots and if there is a way to fix them.

All you answers are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

hot-fuzz

Landon said:
Hiya,

I have a bit of a problem with my 3-year-old 40" A656. There are faint but noticeable dark spots/blotches in the top left and right corners of the screen. These 'cloudy' spots are relatively small and they can only be noticed on brightly coloured or white backgrounds. I wouldn't lose any sleep over this since it's not a big issue but still I would like to know what causes these dark spots and if there is a way to fix them.

All you answers are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Amazingly thats what ive come here to post.
Mine is 2 1/2 years old and i too have got a dirty, cloudy patch in the bottom left of my screen.

No idea what it is.

AxelLNo1

Standard Member
Hi all!

I recently find out, that a newer Samsung TV in an other room can access digital channels from my cable provider.. tried to find it with this TV, no luck..
First I thought to upgrade the firmware, it had to be, because it was not the newest. Btw. I tried my luck with a card reader, and a mobile modem stick so despite the file was good, the card was FAT32, the TV just won't go for it.. the typical few seconds, and nothing.. so in the end my digital camera did the trick. :smashin:

My question is this.. What is the most recent TV tuner firmware, because this has not changed with the TV firmware upgrade an where can I download it.. And if you know, how do I install it.. :) It could help to get those channels, or is it possible to change just the tuner in this TV to get the digital channels too?

The inside looks like this:
tunerv.jpg
so it seems that it has a DVB-C place.. It would be nice to see those digital channels too.. :rolleyes:

Marry Christmass to everyone!

Attachments

• tuner.jpg
    tuner.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 278

Martinoslav

Standard Member
Please, help... I´m trying to get to service menu, but the sequence INFO-MENU-MUTE-POWER is not working for me :( My model asi LE52A656. Is there any other way to get to service menu?

YFU

Standard Member
CellZapper said:
Hi all

Thanks for any clues

Thanks Chris

I am having exactly this same problem and it's driving me crazy! Every morning I turn the TV on and it cycles through channels and turns itself off. Any news on what the cause is? Is it the bezel? It's really annoying!

GreggusMaximus

its the touch buttons on the side just remove the back and unplug the control board and it should be fine the only problem if you dont replace is you wont have a standby light but just think of it as an environmentally friendly action lol

YFU

Standard Member
This might sound silly but once I get the back off will it be pretty obvious to do? I'm no engineer! :)

altair4

Standard Member
I got a very weird problem with this TV that started a few weeks ago. When I turn off the TV it seemingly turns off without any problems. But about 20-40mins after I turn it off, the TV clicks again. And it's only now that it seems to completely turn off. With TV connected to computer it's only after this second click that the computer stops detecting it. Even when I have no cables connected to the TV it still does the delayed shutdown. Any ideas what is going on here?

SnookDude

Standard Member
Hi all,

Please if you can help me with this. My TV is Samsung Series 6, 46", which I bought few years ago, brand new.

I set my UPC digital tv box to the HDMI2, and my Yamaha receiver to HDMI3.

When I switch on one of those boxes, then switch on my TV, the TV will not change to the connected HDMI. Even if I tried to change it using the official remotely.

The TV will go one-by-one rotating from all inputs until it gets to the connected HDMI.

It still works, but I must wait until it gets to the HDMI2 or HDMI3.

So, it is very annoying.

Is it possible to completely turned off other inputs? Probably via the Service Menu?

And I was thinking this can be fixed via firmware update? I made a screenshot of my TV firmware (see attachment). I think it is quite old as I have never updated it.

Oh btw, I tried to get the firmware from the #1 post, but all the links are dead. Anyone can point to a working download links?

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20120829_074843.jpg
    IMG_20120829_074843.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 217

redcat1

Thread Bump

my LE40A656A is having trouble turning on. I've always turned my tv off at the mains when not in use, over the last couple days when i turn on the mains the red light just keeps flashing and it takes about 3mins for a display to appear. Once i have a picture there are no other problems. Anyone else had the same problem ?

Also as mentioned above, can someone link the latest firmware version ?

EarthRod

Distinguished Member
my LE40A656A is having trouble turning on. I've always turned my tv off at the mains when not in use, over the last couple days when i turn on the mains the red light just keeps flashing and it takes about 3mins for a display to appear. Once i have a picture there are no other problems. Anyone else had the same problem ?

Also as mentioned above, can someone link the latest firmware version ?

Looks like the battery has discharged.

The answer is to leave the TV on standby and not switch off at the mains. The TV draws about 1W on standby - virtually nothing.

I have never switched mine off at the mains for nearly 5 years!

The latest FW version is T-AMBPEUMD-1020.1 which you will have to do a search for.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches the Zen Stream Wi-Fi audio transport
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ruark R1 Mk4 radio gets summer makeover
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd June 2021
  • By Phil Hinton