1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE-26R41BD Picture Problem

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Doctor Hades, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I bought a Samsung LE-26R41BD about a month ago now and bar the minor tearing issue in 720p@60Hz with component video and HDMI I've been delighted with the TV.

When I first turned the TV on for the first time, the picture was awful though, suffering from unnatural looking contrast levels with the picture looking more like it used only 256 colours instead of 16.2 million. However, afer an hour or so, the picture "cleared" up and it's been excellent ever since.

However in the last few days, I've noticed some colour banding that "flickers" and the same type of high contrasting as when I first turned it on, but nowhere near as bad, especially noticeable on faces. Also colours flicker and you can sometimes see dark blue pixels in white clouds etc. Trouble is it doesn't happen all the time, it seems to come and go, but it happens whether I'm watching Sky Digital (RGB SCART), DVDs (HDMI) or playing Xbox games (component video). It was particularly bad last night while I was watching Boogeyman on DVD but then my TV has been on all day non-stop for over nine hours, the first time I've ever left it on that long since I bought it.

I thought maybe it would have cleared up this morning - stupidly I was hoping it was a one off - but I noticed it again while played MotoGP 2 and Juiced on my Xbox and while watching Sky.

Thinking my surround speakers were causing the interference, as they'd been on all day yesterday too, I turned them off and the picture "glitch" went but it came back after 15 minutes so it's obviously nothing to do with that.

The window was open and there was a cold breeze coming through near the TV and I often have a tower fan on so could they be causing the LCD display to become sluggish - I've heard that they need to be warm to work at their best - or is my TV faulty? It's becoming a major distraction and I'm constantly looking for the "fault" to the point where I can't concentrate on the programme I'm watching or the game I'm playing.

Anyone else had this problem?

2. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    :lease:

3. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Dont have a clue, i would say give samsung a ring but talking to them is like talking to a brick wall. But still give them a ring see what there technician says. If they aren`t interested phone up your dealer. Mine does nothing like you described so it definatly looks like an issue with your tv somewhere.

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    When I woned the LE-32R41B I noted that the Auto Contrast feature (whatever it's called) was extremely poor and had the tendency to blow the range out totally. Are any of those misfeatures turned off?

5. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    All the processing features except for the Brightness Sensor are off. When I go to My Colour Control, the picture of the women looks fine except for the red of her top which shows a flickering bright red patch with darker patches high contrast areas and not how it should appear (when the fault happens otherwise it's fine).

It seemed that it was nothing to do with the cold since my TV was fine all day yesterday once I'd closed the window but the problem returned this morning intermittently. Noticing that my surround sound system was on I thought maybe the front speaker (which is underneath the TV) was causing the interference. Sadly turning it off doesn't get rid of it. It's not there all the time, it comes and goes at random and it's becoming seriouisly distracting. I can only assume it's a fault with the picture processing which seems to go from handling 16.2 millions colours to less than a thousand at times judging by the obvious colour banding and flickering. It happens with a variety of picture souces and via different connections so it's not an isolated cause.

It's hard to explain the glitch - is it what people refer to as tizzing? - but if you look at white clouds in the sky sometimes you can see dark blue pixel patches where there should be light grey shadows or a brick wall will be reduced from being detailed to being a splodgy patch of two shades of brown, one light and one dark.

Anyway it's clearly a fault of the TV so I'll first try ringing TribalUK who I bought the TV from and then Samsung since I'm more likely to get a replacement straight away from the former. Needless to say I'm not happy... :(

6. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    TribalUK are collecting my TV on Wednesday and as well as the picture fault, which seems to be a problem with the red colour processing, I've also mentioned the 720p/60Hz tearing. Might as well kill two birds with one stone so to speak. I'm not happy about my less than one month old TV being taken away for a couple of weeks but it looks like I don't have any choice. There is clearly a fault with it. :(