1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE-26R41 & XBox

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by tom123, Sep 12, 2005.

1. tom123

tom123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys.
    Sorry for my English but I'm Italian.
    I've got the Samsung 26R41 and an Xbox modded with High def cable.
    I don't understand why ALL games with 480p mode activated looks so pixelated and so ugly. 720p/1080 looks great but 480p is very very pixelated.

Moreover, sometimes I see some ugly spots showing parts of the old screens like a memory effect of the panel.

Any idea?

Sorry for the bad language.

2. tom123

tom123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobody can help me?

3. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Maybe they need a little more time than 30 mins :D ;)

I'm sure people will be along soon to help you? welcome to AV by the way. :smashin:

4. tom123

tom123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry.

5. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Hi Tom,

480p will look ugly and pixellated because most games don't use anti-aliasing (jaggy-smoothing) to remove those staircase-edges and the Samsung LCD will just highlight those rough edges due to the sharpness and clarity of the display. At 720p and 1080i the lack of anti-aliasing is less noticeable but it's still there. Try playing a game like MotoGP 2 or 3 which does use anti-aliasing and you'll see that it looks much nicer even though it's only running in 480p.

A good tip is to turn off 480p and only leave 720p and 1080i on. That way all 480p games will run in 480i which actually looks blurrier and therefore those rough edges don't look as bad. That's what I do anyway. It seems you can either have the superior colours and sharpness of component video or the duller colours, ghosting and blurriness of RGB SCART, which ironically mask the "jaggies" just as normal TV does.

As for the 'ugly spots' that sounds like a fault to me but it's not clear exactly what you mean by that.

6. tom123

tom123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the answer. I haven't tried motoGP2 or 3 but Forza Motorsport, Worms 4, Halo 1 and 2 and much more...

I don't know how can I say this problem in English.
    When I'm playing some games like Worms 4, during the initial logo animation or during the loading screen, I can see some black circular spots like a ghosting of the logo movement.
    I can see this effect also during the inital XBox animation.

7. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Your English is certainly much better than my Italian that's for sure. If you hadn't said you were Italian, I don't think anyone would have known... :cool:

Anyway, what you are describing is like nothing I've got on my current TV but my previous one, which had a fault, showed patches of dark coloured pixels where there should not have been any. That affected all inputs though including HDMI and RGB SCART and it doesn't sound quite like what you have described anyway.

If your problem is related only to the Xbox and component video, it is more likely that it is the cable itself that is the problem. Have you checked it's connected properly? Can you check component video with a DVD player to see if you have the same problem as with your Xbox? If you still have the same problem with DVD playback via component video and no other input then it would mean that the component video ports on the TV might be faulty.

8. stormflood

stormflood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean. It seems new frames aren't 'clean' - so if you get a picture fading to black, you'll still see very slightly grey pixels left over - you get a 'ghost' of the last frames. These are compression artifacts. It may help to turn down the brightness, and up the contrast, thus reducing these pixels to black.

I'm not sure whether the artifacts are from the consoles FMV compression, or from the upscaling. I've seen it on my PS2 at the end of a realtime cutscene in MGS3 when it faded to black.

9. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Weird. Maybe I'm not very observant but I can't recall seeing anything like that on my TV and I'm sure if I did it would likely annoy me. Guess I'd better not look too closely for it then... :rolleyes:

10. tom123

tom123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm so glad.... Thanks!.

The fault that you had is something like mine....
    But there isn't dark pixel but very dark spots..

The problems is related only to the Xbox but the cables are OK because I've another LCD and it works well....Except for the 480p thats appear very pixelated.

11. tom123

tom123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, this is the matter......
    Compression artifacts of the Xbox or the Samsung?
    I've another LCD and this problems doesn't exist.
    I'll try to reduce the brightness too....

Thaks so much.

12. tom123

tom123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also Burnout 3, forza motorsport and PGR dosn't have antialiasing?
    in 480p looks very ugly.

13. stormflood

stormflood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try running a PC in 640x480. Now imagine it on 26" screen. Not pretty is it? Normal CRT's blur all that pixellation out. That's why the next-gen will be 720p Hi-Def at least, with decent anti-aliasing ... thank god.

14. tom123

tom123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, but why many people (also in this forum) say that PGR or Forza motorsport is awesome on Samsung r41 in 480p????? It isn't true......

15. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Are you useing the microsoft official hidef component leads.

16. tom123

tom123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah bought on Lik Sang.

17. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Good question that, when i used a gamester pack (or whatever it was called?) on my panasonic 42" the picture looked poor. I bought the M$ one and the picture is stunning using 480p/720

18. tom123

tom123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Yep me to bought the gamester pack when i first got my xbox chipped then got official xbox one and wow what a difference.Have you tryed any 720p xbox games like amped 2 or soulcalibur 2 they should look great on your tv.

20. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Tom - PGR 2 looks good on the Samsung because unlike the first game it has anti-aliasing!

If the jaggies in 480p games bother you as much as they do me I'd seriously suggest sticking with RGB SCART because it blurs the picture sufficiently to mask the rough edges. The fact is that the majority of 480p games on any console will look ugly because most of them don't use anti-aliasing and the resolution is too low for the size of the TV so the pixels show.

This is why Microsoft emphasised the importance of anti-aliasing for the Xbox 360 even in 720p. At least we can be sure that all Xbox 360 games will look good if nothing else.

21. tom123

tom123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried MX vs ATV, Soulcalibur 2, Fifa street. Looks great.
    But I've disabled 480p. If I enable 480p in the dashboard, games like burnout 3, forza motorsport, PGR, are horrible.

22. tom123

tom123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

PGR2 is ugly in my TV......I'll check later one time more...
    Also forza motorsport isn't antialiased?

23. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Tom - You're not alone. I agreed with you which is why I also have 480p turned off for Xbox games. The fact that you can see all those rough edges is a testament to how good the TV actually is but for some people they prefer the improved colour and sharpness and are willing to or don't notice the aliasing.

24. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    PGR 2 definitely uses 2 X Quincunx anti-aliasing. That's the reason the framerate was cut in half from 50/60fps in the first game to 25/30 in PGR 2.

Forza Motorsport doesn't use anti-aliasing on the cars unlike PGR 2 but it does blur the backgrounds slightly to prevent them looking messy.

25. tom123

tom123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. I understand
    What about burnout 3?

26. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    what cable would you use to connect a ps2 to the samsung? And what games are "upscalable"?

thanks, Matt.

27. tom123

tom123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried moto gp 2 in 480p. Looks great. Moto gp as antialias and it's wonderful in 480p.

I will try PGR2 too....

28. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Burnout 3 does not use anti-aliasing but I've tried a demo of the new Burnout Revenge and it looks much nicer than the last game. The cars don't look quite as jaggy for example. Might be just that level though and the fact that Burnout uses excessive blurring effects because I'm sure the game isn't anti-aliased at all. The fact is that very few Xbox games use anti-aliasing at all apart from the few I've mentioned so unless they support a higher resolution like 720p (1280x720) they are going to look pretty nasty at 640x480 on an LCD.

Roll on Xbox 360, eh? ;)

29. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Well very few PS2 games actually support component video, Matt, unlike the Xbox and none support 720p as far as I'm aware, only 480p. I've not tried my PS2 with a component lead but if it's anything like the Xbox you should be able to run the games in 480i, which will give a crisper picture, less ghosting and better colours than RGB SCART. However be prepared to see all those infamous PS2 jaggies in all their glory in the few 480p games that exist...

For a list of PS2 games that support progressive scan try this site: http://www.hdtvarcade.com/ps2list.htm.

30. Paulando

Paulando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I wanted to ask this actually (for connecting my PS2). So even in 480i, component video looks better than RGB scart? Does it look that much better?