Samsung LCD TV burn-in question

S

SupremeAC

Hi all,

I, as so many of you here, am about to purchase a new TV, and am looking into HDTVs to enhance my gaming experience. I was thinking of getting a Samsung LE26R51, but read on here, and a number of other places (say, the online manual for that TV) that their LCD TVs are prone to burn-in. Now my question is: can such a thing happen during regular use, or is it something that will most likely only pop up on say display TVs in stores that show the same images/stations for hours on end, day after day? Would I get burn in from watching telly/playing games with black borders around them for around 2 hours a day?

Thanks for your imput!

I really don't know what that's about, because it's not supposed to be a problem for LCDs. I've heard of temporary burn-in, that's probably what's been discussed. This isn't anything to really worry about because like I said - it's temporary.

LCDs don't burn. No permanent damage is done by constant displays (eg of channel logos, or game contents) on LCDs.

What does happen on some LCD glass (and I believe that some Samsung is included) is that an electrical charge builds up which leaves a feint ghost of a previous image. However, as with anything electrical, it eventually leaks away, and takes the ghost with it. In a separate thread on this forum, the same thing was discussed; in that particular case, it took a couple of days for the latent image to disappear to the satisfaction of the poster.

In any case, it most certainly is not screen burn.

Thanks for the swift replies. Not that I'm doubting any of your answers, but the downloadable manual for Samsung LCD TVs ( http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200506/20050629183629734_BN68-00858F-00Eng.pdf ) states, and I quote "A still image may cause permanent damage to the TV screen."

Whatever the truth is, I'll just asume that the chances of such a thing causing permanent damage to the screen are minimal enough to be ignored.

Thanks again for your help.

A still image may cause permanent damage to the TV screen
was, I suspect, copied & pasted by someone who doesn't know any better (or even, doesn't know there is a difference at all), from a Plasma manual.

That'll just be a generic warning they slap at the start of all their TV manuals, I'm assuming. Or perhaps it's just in there to make sure their Service Center isn't flooded with calls about temporary "burn" in?

Lyris said:
That'll just be a generic warning they slap at the start of all their TV manuals, I'm assuming. Or perhaps it's just in there to make sure their Service Center isn't flooded with calls about temporary "burn" in?

That's what I'm starting to think too...

In reply to LV246: No, it's in the official manual downloadable from Samsungs official site. On the first page it clearly states LCD TV, and the following 3 pages talk about screen damage through portraying the same colors/images for a prolongued time.

SupremeAC said:
In reply to LV246: No, it's in the official manual downloadable from Samsungs official site. On the first page it clearly states LCD TV, and the following 3 pages talk about screen damage through portraying the same colors/images for a prolongued time.

Probably exact same text as in samsung plasma owner manual.

Yes that's what I meant. Perhgaps I should have said

was, I suspect, copied & pasted by someone at Samsung who doesn't know any better (or even, doesn't know there is a difference at all), from a Plasma manual.

I've compared two manuals, one for LCD one for Plasma, just different sizes 7 technology but functionally identical - I think it was the Hitachi 32PD5200 and 28PD5200 from a year or so back but could be wrong. They were pretty much word for word even with errors. From what I recall, they both mentioned image burn even though it was not applicable to the LCD model.

-Ian

Either there really is a problem with permanent 'image burn' on LCDs or there's a distinct case of copy-and-paste-itus amongst the documentation people for these TVs!

LG 32LP1D Manual:
4. Avoid keeping a fixed image on the TV's screen for
a long period of time. The fixed image may become
permanently imprinted on the screen.
Samsung LE32R51BD manual has a whole page full of warnings even about the black bars for 4:3 viewing etc - and with pictures!
Precautions When Displaying a Still Image
A still image may cause permanent damage to the TV screen.
.../...
Note : If the borders at the left, right and the
center of the screen remain fixed for
an extended period of time, the
amount of light transmission will also
remain varied and as a result the
borders may leave traces.

Do not leave the screen in pause mode for
extended periods of time as you may
experience temporary or permanent image
burn.
I don't want to be alarmist and I really hope that these are 'typos' - or as you say, done to stop people calling customer support with temporary image burn issues. However, if that is what plasma TVs are liable to suffer from then I certainly don't want one of them! :thumbsdow

If LCD's were susceptible to 'real' screen burn then, for example, the Windows Taskbar would get permanetly burnt into LCD computer monitors something which I've never seen and worked with a lot of LCD monitors.

John

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom