1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LCD RPTV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by coolio, May 17, 2004.

1. coolio

coolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have an LCD 43 inch RPTV on order. I know this seems the wrong way rounf but can someone tell me what the difference is between a normal RPTV and this LCD one. Also, I think its the SP43L2HX

Anyone seen one of these/got any feedback?

Is this type of screen less liable to screen burn?

2. the_dead_parrot

the_dead_parrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the sammy SP43L2HX on order, after seeing it down comet i couldnt say no really, Its DLP (possibly the best dlp as the LG one seems to have a lot of rainbowing issues) and becuase its LCD the picture Lighter/brighter with better viewing angles apparently... this set also has dvi input which im fairly sure the normal rptv doesnt have...

3. coolio

coolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I thought DLP was different to LCD

4. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got an SP43L2HX and had nothing but problems with it since I bought it.

Firstly there were picture quality issues but I managed to tweek them out using the service menu so in the end the pictur looked good.

Secondly, the tv keeps on locking up, forcing me to turn off the set via the on/off switch rather than putting it into standby. This is NOT good for the bulb. I had the TV taken away from me for 4 weeks by samsung to fix the issue, and when they sent it back NOTHING was different.
    Last night it crashed again, but this time when I turned it on there was no sound. So now the sound is dead too!

Im getting comet to come round tommorow for the second time. Im gonna try and get the set replaced as obviously ive gotten a dud set. Its VERY unlikely they are all like this. This one has too many problems.

O, and regards the black levels. They are not very good. Not a problem during the day, when the TV looks AMAZING! ( try doing that with a CRT based tv ). But in a dark room, the image is very washed out. Basically, if you dont watch tv in dark rooms, its not a real problem.
    Stay away if you like dark horror movies! They dont look to hot.

5. coolio

coolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Good luck with getting your set sorted. I only paid £600 for my set so hopefully I will chuffed with what I get

6. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Samsung SP42W4HF which I have had for just under 2 weeks and the picture is easily the worst I have ever seen on a TV, I had 2 faulty Toshiba 42WH36's and the picture was easily superior. The samsungs image is blurred (not just soft I mean out of focus), there is a huge amount of ghosting and motion blur, and the colours are horrible. I've had an engineer out at it and he said there was nothing wroing with it (see my post "am I going to be stuck with a duff TV" for more info).

From what I know of DLP they are all very subjectible to the rainbow effect except for the very best ones and I doubt that Samsung will use the very best, this would make the TV 3 or 4 grand. And LCDs seem to have their own issues like ghosting and motion blur.

Unless you have seen this TV in action with a decent input I would be very very cautious. My experience with Samsungs are not that good.