Samsung LCD or Panny Plasma?

Spears93

Ok, I know initially people will say plasma without even thinking but let me say a little first :)

model numbers: Panasonic tx-p42u20b
Samsung le40c580
(also, I know a lot about the samsung as i have had my eye on it for a while, I know very little about the panny as I saw it on an advert earlier today and it took my attention)

my budget is £450 max - The panny is £450 (down from £999! and the Sam is £430 (originally £500)
My only uses are gaming and SDTV - now this is where I start to wonder; the samsung has a freeview HD tuner built in and I dont recall seeing anything about any tuner in the panny. however i imagine it'll have a freeview tuner built in anyway right?

as for gaming, i know plasmas are meant to be the t!ts but i've never had an LCD let me down before, PLUS the Sam has a gaming mode so will the panny still be the one?

and just to clear up, from what I've seen, the panny is not a neoPDP panel.
What exactly are neoPDP's? I know they are higher end models but with an original price of £1000 and a contrast ratio of 2M:1 this tv can't be THAT inferior to a neoPDP can it?

and finally, thiis may be a silly question but if you dont know, you dont know :blush:
will freeview HD be available through a basic digital areal or does it require a certain type? providing it is available in my area

^ sorry thats all a bit loose and all over the place but i get myself so stupidly confused over things xD

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
NeoPDP is the newer panel with lower energy consumption for same level of brightness, or higher brightness level at the same level of consumption. They have deeper blacks and a higher contrast ratio claiming 5000,000:1, better motion handling on this years models and improved colour range I believe...cant think of anything else.

IMHO its worth paying the extra for the S20 or G20 if you can. I prefer plasma over LCD, plasma inherantly have better motion handling and lower lag for gaming, also deeper black levels......Im not going to turn this into a Vs so will stop. The U20 I believe is based on last years tech and both my mates happily game on both a G10 and 15 from last year....ok based on last years tho indeed without neopdp. its the x20 but worth a read http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/plasma/panasonic_tx-p42x20.htm

Oh and yes you can get HD via arial when available.

Last edited:

Spears93

Thanks scooby
I have seen people mentioning the G's on here a few times before but didn't look into them.

I'm presuming the G1x fits into the model number like the u20 in my example, right?

Spears93

Thanks guys!

What makes the S and G TVs better?
The U20 seems to have pretty good reviews

Spears93

As much as I agree with you, I'm afraid the U20 is the only one I can afford; I'm 17 ^.^
I have 2 things to say though:

1) If the U20 was originally £1000 then it can't be a bad set at all! I know the G20 is better for neoPDP etc but by all means the U20 should be a fantastic set by itself.

2) How come I can find NOTHING on panny's website about the U20?
I thought that was particularly strange.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Its 09 tech but a 2010 set. Spears mate, the best thing you can do is get the S20 from richer if you can, its great for the money, if your cheeky you may be able to get a cable thrown in, just play on the ''well its a bit over my budget........if you threw a hdmi in I could prob do it'' summit like that anyway, always worth a go :). If you cant get the S then whilst in the shop look for a deal on older lg models. The guys at my local store are really friendly and have done some great deals for me in the past, Richer sounds generally have great customer service and dont mind a bit of a haggle.:smashin:

.....oh and where you see a U20 for1000? its a realy low end set, the G20 was 900-1000 when it first cam out.

Last edited:

Blademanx

Standard Member
For games dont you need to have better colours? LCD should be better

if you go for plasma just dont pause a game on it lol

vickster

Spears93

Your all tempting me now :p
You really shouldn't be though because at 17 I should be spending 500/600 quid NOT on tvs xD

So for the extra £50, what does the S20 have over the U20?

I'd look myself but I'm typing this on my phone on the way to school lol

Ben Jammin

It just looks better. A lot better. Not sure how to describe anymore than that.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Your all tempting me now :p
You really shouldn't be though because at 17 I should be spending 500/600 quid NOT on tvs xD

So for the extra £50, what does the S20 have over the U20?

I'd look myself but I'm typing this on my phone on the way to school lol
LOL why does this now feel like peer pressure. For the extra you get: Brighter screen, deeper blacks, these in turn get you a far better contrast ratio, better colours, better SD, Im guessing better connections and if the U isn't 1080p you get that too. You get the lates tech and all that comes with it basically, IR may well be less on the S20 too.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
For games dont you need to have better colours? LCD should be better

if you go for plasma just dont pause a game on it lol
? buy better colours you mean more accurate or brighter? Plasma is great for games as it has lower lag. Its a personal thing but for me an over bright/saturated and sharper pic can actually show up some not so good graphics, a softer image also helps with jaggies. Gaming on my plasma is shear joy.

IR with games can be an issue with cheaper sets, but its only temporary unless you leave your game on paus for over a week. I game for over 4 hours at a time with no visible IR on my set.:smashin:

Ben Jammin

The cheaper TV will still be good. But the S will be better. For the small amount of money the difference is, i would say well worth it.

Spears93

The cheaper TV will still be good. But the S will be better. For the small amount of money the difference is, i would say well worth it.
Though that small amount of money is another pay day and giving Richer an old TV.

I can't remember who, also said that the S will have 1080p if the U doesn't

The U is a true HD set, its also got a 2000000:1 cont. ratio which is the same as the S

tbh, im going to comet at the weekend and i'll ask for a good look at the U. I'll basically interrogate the thing and probably walk out of the shop with it

..im not trying to be snappy if it sounds like that :)

from what ive seen, the only feature the S offers that I'd like/use is freeview HD
I only plan to use 2 HDMI ports anyway :laugh:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
I guess we get too used to talking in the hundreds, 50 squid is a lot of money for many, I sound patronising but cant think of any other way of putting it, I dont mean it to be.:)

Dude. You really seem to like the set so go get it, its not a bad set by any means, at 17 I had a 14'' CRT ***, go for it:smashin:... get em to throw a HDMI in for free, I ask for free stuff all the time :laugh: Let us know how u get on.:)

Spears93

Well as I see it, the only HDMI source will be the ps3 meaning there is no need for the extra bits and extra inputs.

Everyone says panny plasmas are the t!ts so I have more than faith in it :)

Spears93

Going to pick up the U20 tomorrow; reserved one earlier

Went into comet with one of my mates and they had it hooked up to a home cinema system *wooo* so i got them to slap on one of the demo presentations and it looks bloody amazing!

Top Bottom