Samsung LCD AV2 Input

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by RJC_Aus, Dec 19, 2006.

Tags:
  1. RJC_Aus

RJC_Aus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I have a Samsung LCD, model number LA40M61B (here in Australia).

I am trying to connect my Airport Express via the AV2 connection on the side of the TV. The connection cable is a 3.5mm headphone-style jack from the Airport to 2 RCA at the other end.

The TV will not detect a signal when only the audio channels (red and white) are connected. I have tested the cable by connecting a video camera to the AV2 connection (inc. yellow video channel) and this works fine.
    However, whenever I remove the yellow connection the TV again displays "no signal."

I've very little knowledge about this beyond a basic understanding. Is it possible to connect to the AV2 without the video channel? Can I connect the Airport Express? Any help is most welcome.

Thanks.

2. JAK

JAK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So clearly the composite connection (yellow) works on the TV as your Camera displays a picture on the TV. You need to understand what is coming out of the 3.5mm jack at the Airport Express end - In my experience this is usually just audio, but check with the manual - if there are three leads coming out of this (ie Yellow White and Red) then Yellow is usually composite video with White and Red being stereo audio, but some numpty might have wired the cable up incorrectly - Do you get stereo audio? Have you tried another cable or checked the cable continuity.

3. RJC_Aus

RJC_Aus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The output from the Airport should be just audio as its a standard 3.5mm jack. I've not checked the output yet, left headphones at work. However, I'm using the exact cable recommended by Apple to connect the AirPort to an AV input.

I've tried two other cables with the same result so suspect it may a TV problem.

4. JAK

JAK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ah right.
    In that case I think that Audio only will not work - The Sammy will only switch to valid sources (as it is not a hi-fi it needs a valid Video Source) You will notice that if you press the Source button on the remote repeatedly it will switch between the inputs that have a valid video source (ie if you have nithing in the SCART 2 socket it will just skip it - the same will apply for the AV2 on the side - As your Airport Express is Audio only you will struggle and plugging a 'blank' into the composite will just leave the Sammy thinking you have no source.
    What you could try is connecting the Airport Express into a VCR or something and pass through the audio with its video.

5. RJC_Aus

RJC_Aus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, that's exactly what it's doing.

I'll give it a try through the DVD player and see what happens. Thanks for the help.