Samsung LCD A656 cracking/cracks

alchemistkevin

Prominent Member
Reaction score
There are some cracks generating in my Samsung LE46A656 bezel. I've seen some other reports here (only 3 members) that have had the same problem.

Has anyone else heard about or had the same problems?

What's the best way to get this sorted? TV is around 6 months old and bought brand new from Dixons.

A picture from another member below:

7702samsung.jpg

hi,

yeah, i've noticed this too. Mine has got progressively worse however so far it's confined to the bottom right-hand corner. Still unsure as to whether to enquire about a replacement. See everything else is fine with my set and would be worried about getting a TV back with maybe dead pixels or backlight bleeding!

Also, I'm not sure if they're cracks as such - just looks like the adhesive not being 'adhesive' enough and becoming unstuck!

Asked some of the inital posters on this topic as to whether they resolved this problem (i.e.got a replacement) but no replies since unfortunately :lease:

Last edited:
Hi,
Apologies but haven't logged on for a while.

anyway, I did get a replacement TV as it was less than 28 days old.

I raised it with samsung also and they gave me a reference number.

If they claim never to have heard about this problem before, contact me and I will supply the number!

I agree though, as opposed to cracking, more like the glue coming away.

Even so, this shouldn't happen and needs sorting!!!!!

As the TV is still in the warranty period, I'd get it replaced.

A cracked screen surround is a manufacturing/ assembly defect. That's Samsung's issue, not yours ! :smashin:

Paul

Thanks for your inputs, I'll get sorted and call them today.

Would it be faster going to/via dixons?

Just noticed two stuck pixels on my set last night - managed to get rid of one but not the other! Anyway that's the last straw - stuck pixels plus the cracking...reckon it's time I got a replacement!

Hi again,

Let us know what Dixons say.

My initial 'cracking' problem was different to the one on your photo.

Just noticed that the new TV has the same signs of cracking, although its only about 1mm at the moment.

Also, how do you spot a stuck pixel?

Cheers,

Hi Alchemistkevin,

Thanks for starting this post. I looked all over the web for this problem, and it doesn't seem to come up too often. I even went to a Fry's Electronics and BestBuy and examined every Samsung LCD on display, and didn't find any cracks in the bezels. I asked the associates about the bezel cracks, and they had no idea what I was talking about. I purchased a brand new Samsung LN40A750 on Amazon on 11/28/08, and after 20 days of use discovered two growing cracks. One on the bottom left corner of the bezel approximately 1.5-2 inches, and one to the right of the center approximately 2 inches. It looks to me like the factory did a poor job applying the adhesive to the bezel, and the cracks are direct results. I can actually see a line of glue on the display in the corner where the crack developed. Blows my mind how Samsung would allow their "Bentley" 40 inch LCD to leave the factory with such craftsmanship. I called Amazon reps within the 30 day period, and requested a replacement. They shipped out a new LCD next day, and I will get it delivered tomorrow. The delivery service will take the defective set back to Amazon. Just glad these cracks showed up so early. Hope the new one doesn't have any problems.

Attachments

• LN40A750 01.jpg
    LN40A750 01.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,632
  • LN40A750 02.jpg
    LN40A750 02.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,123
  • LN40A750 03.jpg
    LN40A750 03.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,083
Hi guys

Not a common fault luckily, but does show that the bezel has a flaw in the design.

The double-sided tape that holds the two halves of the bezel together sometimes comes detached with heat (over time), or twisting the panel in transit or on unpacking and setting up.

It's not a quality inspection issue as the TV is OK when it leaves the factory.

The problem is, not that it affects the picture, it just looks so unsightly!

Alan

I had the bezel replaced but I can see cracks again! :suicide:

Will call them again and get another replacement! :(

Mine has started to crack to. I called Samsung and they sent someone from their 3rd party repair team to have a look (visual fx i think they're called?).

Anyway, he said he'd never seen anything like it and took photos. He said they would change the bezel.

2 weeks later I called the 3rd party repair team again and they said they won't change it because I said i used chemical cleaner - blatent liars!!!

I'm currently trying to find out who said that and samsung is trying to help too. It seems this 3rd party repair service is one of those types that refuses to any any work.

The saga continues...

Samsung got back to me after a while and said they will not change the frame since they do not believe the crack can happen without using chemical cleaners.

I told them that the crack happened without using any cleaners but they refused to listen.

Any advice on what I can do from here onwards?

Samsung got back to me after a while and said they will not change the frame since they do not believe the crack can happen without using chemical cleaners.

I told them that the crack happened without using any cleaners but they refused to listen.

Contact trading standards and let them know. Even if you did use a chemical cleaner it would not bubble glue on the inside of a bezel so i cant see samsung getting away with that excuse.

Theres is another thread about this exact issue here with pics so refer samsung to it as well:-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/909582-samsung-rose-bezel-mark-flaw.html

Just to add im having the same issues and have an engineer coming out from Comet on tuesday to have a look.

Sadly it does seem like a common fault with these tellys.

Last edited:
Mine has started to crack to. I called Samsung and they sent someone from their 3rd party repair team to have a look (visual fx i think they're called?).

Anyway, he said he'd never seen anything like it and took photos. He said they would change the bezel.

2 weeks later I called the 3rd party repair team again and they said they won't change it because I said i used chemical cleaner - blatent liars!!!

I'm currently trying to find out who said that and samsung is trying to help too. It seems this 3rd party repair service is one of those types that refuses to any any work.

The saga continues...
hello mate,got the same problem as u,cracks in bezel and dealing with visual fx(are u based in essex)...the engineer took pics im now waiting for samsung to repair it.Dont get fobbed off man,explain that this problem is known by samsung,and demand a repair..i keep u posted on my progress ..good luck..

hello mate,got the same problem as u,cracks in bezel and dealing with visual fx(are u based in essex)...the engineer took pics im now waiting for samsung to repair it.Dont get fobbed off man,explain that this problem is known by samsung,and demand a repair..i keep u posted on my progress ..good luck..

The engineer took pics of mine too. I'm in London. Let me know how it goes.

just to add - im in exactly the same situation.. they've had my telly for over 6 weeks now..

and are waiting for a senior engineer to look at it and have suggested "user damage" using chemical cleaners!

this is the second time it has happened.. the first time it took them (samsung/visualfx) over a month to fix it.

this time they're taking longer.

i'm open to exchanging details / samsung repair numbers etc.. if anybody is considering taking the legal route.

Just point them to this and the other thread where other users are having issues. Also just tell them to google it lol

Anyway, using a chemical cleaner would not damage the inside of a frame. Its impossible. It would damage the outside.

actualy had a result on this now.I went back to comet took my report slip from the engineer and told them that i m refusing repair due to the fact it could crack again.The manager then turned around and said ok pick out a new tv.Apparently comet are aware of this problem so they didnt have a leg to stand on,so if anyone else bought from a brick and molter shop have a go at getting exchanged,my tv was 3 months old by the way.On another note gonna miss my 656 best tv i ever bought,but had no luck with it.Any way peace out and good luck....

Last edited:
actualy had a result on this now.I went back to comet took my report slip from the engineer and told them that i m refusing repair due to the fact it could crack again.The manager then turned around and said ok pick out a new tv.Apparently comet are aware of this problem so they didnt have a leg to stand on,so if anyone else bought from a brick and molter shop have a go at getting exchanged,my tv was only 3 months old by the way.But by the sounds of it alot of people have been sending these back for the same reason.Any way peace out and good luck.

Can i ask a huge favour?

Can you Pm me the name of the manager and the store this happened at?

Im just asking because i have an engineer coming out tomorrow to see mine and im a bit worried they come out with this "used chemical cleaners" with me. If they do then i can tell them to contact this manager.

Cheers.

Well, just had the comet engineer out who said hes seen 3 of these tellys with the same fault in the last 2 working days. Mine was the 4th.

I refused the repair but he wouldnt write the telly off so now im having to go through head office to get the damn thing swapped out for a new one :mad::mad:

Comet even admit to it being a fault but wont exchange it because its over 28 days old. I got mine on the 1st november last year.

So now sitting waiting for a call from the service center to see what they say about it :thumbsdow

I bought mine from John Lewis, they're usually pretty good when it comes to customer service so I might go through them since I've had no luck with Samsung.

My one year warranty with Samsung has finished but I still have 4 years left with John Lewis.

Zubair, get back to Samsung, tell them you 'DID NOT' use any cleaner and demand a repair or swap. They will have to do something with it. The guys who handle the calls are well aware of this issue and if no cleaner has been used a repair should be getting booked. Don't let them fob you off.

Getting nowhere fast here.

Comet are refusing to acknowledge its a fault now and are unwilling to exchange the telly and are trying to push ahead for a repair.

Told the service center its a known issue and was asked "how can you possibly know that?" Cheek :mad:

They are calling their technical department to see if it is a known issue with them and gonna call me back but i hold out little hope :mad:

Samsung have informed Dixons that they believe it's user damage, but will repair the TV only "this once" as a "gesture of good will".

Just to remind everyone, its the second time my TV has been in for repair. This time it has taken them 7 weeks to come to this conclusion. The last time it took them over a month.

I therefore asked the lady at Dixons if they had evidence of user damage, or if it was just a theory. She would not answer.

I faxed through a print out of this thread and the other one as evidence of other consumers who are having the exact same problem as me in terms of product defect and the reasons Samsung are giving for the defect.

She dismissed it as hearsay.

I therefore asked if Samsung had provided evidence of user damage. She refused to listen and stated that it was entirely my responsibility to obtain the report from Samsung and there is nothing further Dixons would do.

I therefore attempted to explain consumer direct's advise:

“The trader must sort out your problem, not the manufacturer

Remember, if you are entitled to a refund, replacement, repair or compensation, it is the trader who must sort out your problem. The trader cannot tell you to go back to the manufacturer.”

“A repair should be carried out within a reasonable period of time and without causing you significant inconvenience. Any repair should restore goods to a satisfactory condition.”

Consumer Direct - Electrical and gas appliances

She did not give me the opportunity read that out to her stating that she know's consumer direct and trading standards law.

I just don't wanna go through weeks of frustation again as it is a problem thats likely to occur again.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom