1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LCD 32"

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by AndyX, Aug 14, 2003.

1. AndyX

AndyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I spotted a new Samsung LDC panel LW-32A23W in Curries yesterday. It was 32" and had a bright sharp picture which made it stand out compared to the plasmas it shared a row with. It had 2 component inputs, 2 scarts, optical and coaxil sound inputs, a computer input, and speaker outputs. It was dolby digital and DTS. I would, however, that the remote control was not as intuitive as it could be. The price Curries was asking was £2,999. It is also available on line

I believe Toshiba launches a similar panel at the end of this month. It will be interesting to compare the 2 together side by side.

I notice that the screen is plastic rather than glass which explains it's light weight.

It was interesting to note that the extended warrenty fo an LCD screen was much less than for a plasma screen.

The war between plasma and LCD is hotting up.
    :cool:

2. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    if you check on pricerunner you can get it for £2100 im waiting for the new 40 inch version

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,982
    I have the equivalent 22 inch item (as a secondary device for routine TV use) and am hugely impressed by its clarity, sharpness, detail, colour rendition, connectivity - everything, in fact, except the classic LCD greyness of black, which is only noticeable at all when the set is used in extremely subdued lighting. Mainly used with a freeview box, although results from Long Play SVHS are surprisingly good.

4. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Please be warned that unlike all other LCDs, Samsung model can actually suffer from screenburn.

5. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i saw the philips 30inch lcd and was amazed by its quility i bought one there and then superp picture no burnin issues and a fast response time

6. AndyX

AndyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is the sceen burn problem still applicable to the new range of Samsung LCD?

7. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,982
    I have seen it reported as an issue with Samsungs. I have not seen it occur on mine (and it does spend prolonged periods on TMF) but in any event it is NOT screen burn-in. I gather it is something to do with electrical capacitance and isn't permanent. The damage done to CRT and Plasma (ie phosphor-based devices) is permanent.

8. AndyX

AndyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have seen the effects of screen burn on a Pioneer plasma display where I work where the opening image ,which is on the screen before the public pushes a button in their language, is repeated throughout the moving sequence that follows.

Someone I know had a plasma that had had a sky menu screen burned on to it but managed to get rid of the effect by feeding a black AV signal to it for 8 hours. If this is true, maybe this suggests that there is a cure.

9. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Usually the way to get rid of screen-burn is to feed a white image image to the plasma for a few hours. :confused:

10. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,982
    Indeed - and it doesn't get rid of the burn-in. What it does is burn ALL of the screen to the same extent i.e., damage it equally all over, so the specific damage of the logo is no longer visible.

11. AndyX

AndyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    so, the shop in a certain chain, that tried to correct the plasma burn is going to sell a screen that is now damaged all over :eek:

Surely a case for making sure one does not get the display model

12. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You're right.

Burn-in has aged the pixels where logo was. The white-screen methods tries to aged all the other pixels on the screen to the same extent.

I agree that going for the display model is not worthwhile, especially in shop where the lazy salesmen can't be bothered to simply press play on the DVD's menu.

13. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,982
    Going back to the 'Samsung' issue - I'm pretty certain that the issue reported by TheBoingoBandit was raised, originally, specifically in respect of laptop monitor screens (is that right?)

I'm also pretty sure that the LCD glass used in this range of TVs is not the same as their smaller monitor range; the main evidence for this is their hugely improved vertical viewing angle. So, it is quite feasible (although it would be difficult to prove at present) that the capacitance memory effect is not a factor in the range in question.

14. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

I originally reported seeing burn-in on a Samsung 40" in Harrods a few weeks back.

It shocked me because lack of burn-in issues was LCD's main benefit for many people over plasma. Since the Samsung suffered from it anyway, why spend thousands more when you could get a plasma from a better brand?

15. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    the screen burn isnt permanent like a plasma .on an lcd it will go away

16. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,982
    .....because it isn't 'burn in'. It would perhaps more properly be described as an electrical memory effect.

As for the original report - clearly my recollection was mistaken - sorry Boingo. In any event, it remains to be seen, I think, whether this is a real issue for real users or whether its passing nature makes it a non-event. Time will tell.

17. AndyX

AndyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    On further research, the Samsung 32A2 is on the Samsung worldwide site and on the Samsung Germany site. It is not listed on the Samsung UK site.

Could it be that the sets available are grey imports? It seems a shame that the Germans are getting first bite at the cherry. If I see another one in a shop I might check for the changed plug from a european one to a British one- a good tell tale sign!

It will be interesting to see if there is any movement on price on this product once it is 'officially' available.

18. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,982
    The LW22A13 isn't listed on the UK site either. Last time I looked, the copyright date on the UK site was 2002, and it included a 24inch LCD that first went on sale about 5 years ago.

Grey import? Well - the product I bought from Unbeatable came with a properly packaged UK spec mains lead (ie no evidence of it having been tampered with, opened, replaced) and the UK section of the manual contains the statutory warning about the colouring of the wires in the lead. I therefore have NO reason to believe that this was not intended for UK use as shipped.

19. Redmeat

Redmeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw on the specification that it has "only" two scart connections, which is ok, as long as both of them handle RGB. Can anyone verify what the capabilities of the Scart connections are?

20. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,982
    Haven't tested RGB on SCART 2. You should note, though, that (if it's the same as the 22) it ALSO has separate inputs for Audio L&R, Composite and SVideo on the back (3xRCA phonos+SVideo DIN) which are all selectable from the remote, plus a DVI input.

21. Redmeat

Redmeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I would buy the tv, I was planning to connect my HTPC to DVI, my XBox to component, but that still leaves me with two gadgets (digital cable box and dvd player), that would require RGB scart (for best picture quality that is, I could of course connect one of them to s-video, but it wouldn't feel right to buy a tv that expensive, and not be able to get best possible picture quality from all my visual sources...) If the Samsung isn't up to it, feel free to enlighten me about any lcd tvs that would meet my requirements.