Samsung LCD 2012 TV recommended picture settings shown with menu examples

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
pictureperfect_130.png
The following menu examples are from the Samsung ES8000 (UE55ES8000) Flagship 3D LED LCD TV reviewed here, other Samsung TVs may have fewer settings.

Note: if your TV has been previously calibrated by a professional, then making adjustments to your TV's picture will undo that work.

Disclaimer: we have suggested the settings below as a starting point from which you can proceed to Step 3 of our guide to further refine your TV's picture. We make no guarantee that making the above adjustments here will improve your TV's picture, but broadly speaking, it *should* do.

Basic Settings Page 1.
This is the first page of settings in the picture menu.
Select the Movie Picture Mode but do not change any of the other settings on this page without the appropriate tools, such as test patterns. We will show you how to do this in Step 3 of the PicturePerfect campaign.

Samsung_2012_LCD_Menu1.jpg

Scroll down at the bottom of basic settings page 1 to see page 2.

Basic Settings Page 2.
The Picture sub-menus (Screen Adjustment, Advanced Settings and Picture Options) are found on this page of the basic settings.

Samsung_2012_LCD_Menu2.jpg

Note : If you think you have made a mistake with any of your TV picture adjustments, selecting the Reset Picture option will return the TV picture to its default settings. From here you can start your picture adjustments from the beginning.

From Basic Settings Page 2 select Screen Adjustment.
On this menu page, for High Definition content, select a Picture Size of Screen Fit.

Samsung_2012_LCD_Menu3.jpg

From Basic Settings Page 2 select Advanced Settings to get this first of two advanced settings pages.
We recommend you copy these settings to your Samsung TV.

Samsung_2012_LCD_Menu4.jpg

On the Advanced Settings page, navigate to the bottom and scroll down to see Advanced Settings Page 2.

Samsung_2012_LCD_Menu5.jpg

From Basic Settings Page 2 select Picture Options.

Samsung_2012_LCD_Menu6.jpg

And that's it for Step 2 on 2012 Samsung LCD TVs. Proceed to Step 3 for information on how to adjust the final controls.

Last edited:
Are these setting suitable across the board.eg are they ok for a hd source the built in freesat a ps3 etc etc.
Also are you using the Eco settings as I use the Eco sensor

Sorry but these settings are terrible, dark, crushing blacks, washed out and orange faces. Also motion controls off? why, it's terrible without being set to clear and on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also at this stage are we just setting to movie mode,as the contrast and sharpness have been adjusted in the first picture.
A massive thanks for the campaign btw

Sorry but these settings are terrible, dark, crushing blacks, washed out and orange faces. Also motion controls off? why, it's terrible without being set to clear and on.

original post said:
Select the Movie Picture Mode but do not change any of the other settings on this page without the appropriate tools, such as test patterns. We will show you how to do this in Step 3 of the PicturePerfect campaign.

original post said:
We make no guarantee that making the above adjustments here will improve your TV's picture, but broadly speaking, it *should* do.

Have you followed all the steps and ignored the settings as advised? We have not covered setting black level via the brightness controls so you might find that it crushes black until that stage is reached. We are not there yet. But it is interesting that you have proven a major point about copying settings on the internet (other than what to switch off). It is about setting these things yourself with test patterns, a subject we cover at step 3.

As for motion controls. It is up to you how you set these, we advise to switch off for film viewing as it affects film content. But it is up to you.

Have you followed all the steps and ignored the settings as advised? We have not covered setting black level via the brightness controls so you might find that it crushes black until that stage is reached. We are not there yet. But it is interesting that you have proven a major point about copying settings on the internet (other than what to switch off). It is about setting these things yourself with test patterns, a subject we cover at step 3.

As for motion controls. It is up to you how you set these, we advise to switch off for film viewing as it affects film content. But it is up to you.

OK, thanks, where's step 3?

Step 2 launches this week, Step 3 is coming soon.

I have said thankyou for the campaign but I will also say a thankyou for the more detailed es8000 settings that you have and I assume will carry on in this thread

Step 3 coming soon.

like arenaman - I've had the set since launch, I will reserve judgement once step 3 is revealed, but so far i will stick to my settings (which are simliar to arenamans)

like arenaman - I've had the set since launch, I will reserve judgement once step 3 is revealed, but so far i will stick to my settings (which are simliar to arenamans)

Guys, if you don't want to follow our advice, we won't go overboard trying to persuade you. We're interested in
  • making people aware that setting up their TV can make a big difference to the picture quality
  • making people aware that key elements of getting towards a better picture (Step 1 and Step 2) are quick and easy
  • producing the advice and video guides to help people go through the setup process to produce a better picture at the end of it
  • make people aware that changing the settings will make their TV look different, and they would be well advised to give themselves chance to get used to the new look of their TV before rejecting it as 'worse'. (Which is a bit like rejecting free money because you don't like the new width of your wallet).

With respect, our advice comes from passing ISF and THX training, using very expensive test equipment to review hundreds of TVs and working closely with manufacturers to understand how their technology works and advise them how we think they should improve their TVs for the benefit of (us) consumers.
Despite the advice being totally free, we think it has real value.
But at the end of the day it's your TV and it's your choice whether you take or ignore our advice.

Step 3 coming soon.

Thanks, I'll give it every chance and appreciate the effort, I've gone through both steps and an now ready for the tweaking of Step 3.

I'm currently viewing my own Standard mode settings as they look awesome but I'm prepared to be blown away by yours :smashin:

I understand US owners are complaining of problems with the microdimming not working correctly in movie mode, I trust we have no such issues?

Hello all,

I was trying to adjust my ue46es8000 with the settings provided in this thread, unfortunately on step 3 Screen Size, I wasn't able to select the option screen fit. It's greyed out and it doesn't allow me to select.
Any hints about why this is happening? I am running fw 1014.

Thx in advance!

Tavarini

Hi!

I used TV as source (analogue antenna cable) and also USB with a 720 movie connected on usb hdd port.

Sorry for not explaining that well, but I am really new into this.

Regards,

Tavarini

OK that explains it, the Screen Fit option only applies to 1080i or 1080p content (so basically high def TV or Blu-ray) because it literally matches each pixel of the 1080 source to each pixel of your 1080 panel. So if you select one of the Freeview HD channels you'll then be able to choose Screen Fit.

Ok!

Thanks for the info!!

Also, if I calibrate my tv on a HD source in , e.g., movie mode, will that movie mode have the same definitions for other sources??

Thx in advance.

Ok!

Thanks for the info!!

Also, if I calibrate my tv on a HD source in , e.g., movie mode, will that movie mode have the same definitions for other sources??

Thx in advance.

Yes it will, most of the content we watch (TV broadcasts, PAL DVD and Blu-ray) all use the same set of standards.

I am having trouble setting the picture on my Samsung UA32EH4000M. When l am watching the tv from a distance, the tv has a blurry picture. and closer it is a very bright picture. It would be much appreciated, if you could help me to get the right picture settings,

just to clarify,are we leaving the gamma settings on zero as the pictures indicate or are we cranking up to 2.2 as indicated in step 2?

A gamma of 2.2 is our target but the problem is that the gamma control on the Samsungs go from -2 to +2, so you don't know if you're actually getting a curve of 2.2 without measuring it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom