Samsung LCD 2012 TV recommended picture settings shown with menu examples

Steve, as I mentioned earlier I believe the microdimming is not enabled in movie mode on the ES8000 and this is the mode you tested in. What difference would this make to the black levels as to me and a lot of other owners movie mode looks washed out? there is a massive visible difference in black levels between movie and standard mode. Maybe you could retest one on standard mode?? thanks

OK, well on the ES8000 review sample I used a Gamma setting of +2.

When I set this at +2 the screen gets brighter,but as quoted from the campaign

"The gamma control on a TV usually includes a selection of different curves that are identified by numbers, such as 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 and the higher the number, the darker the overall image. As a general rule, we recommend a gamma setting of 2.2 and this is normally the gamma used in the Movie, Cinema or THX mode"

So if I need to go darker surely I need -2 to achieve a gamma of 2.2

As I said before, without testing there is no way of knowing what gamma setting to use on a Samsung, it might well be that -2 equates to 2.4; if I was you I'd leave it at 0.

Will we be getting instructions in part 3 for the using/adjusting the picture using the Samsung expert test patterns ?

I'm not sure what you mean by Samsung expert test patterns but Step 3 will take you through setting controls like Brightness and Contrast using test patterns. If you head over to the Step 3 page, all will be explained.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by Samsung expert test patterns but Step 3 will take you through setting controls like Brightness and Contrast using test patterns. If you head over to the Step 3 page, all will be explained.

Hi, sorry if I'm missing something here - is there a 'Samsung LCD 2012' step 3 (only step 1 and 2 on here), or are you referring to the 'general' tv set up step 3?

Thanks.

This thread is just for basic set up of a Samsung LCD TV and essentially covers Steps 1 & 2. In Step 3 we cover fine tuning the Brightness, Contrast, Colour and Sharpness controls but to do this you will need to use some basic test patterns. We explain where to get the test patterns, how to use them and how to adjust the particular controls in Step 3.

Hi guys,

Under "picture options" for "film mode" mine is greyed out and defaulting to "off".
How come I cannot change it?
I have the Samsung smart 3d led 45" inch 7500 series.

If the Film Mode is greyed out it means your sending a progessive signal to the TV, the Film Mode only works with an interlaced signal and is therefore not needed.

Thanks Steve. I'm not too clued up on progressive and interlaced but what I have read on the Internet, progressive is good.

I have also been trying the step 3 on the campaign. And I was wondering if there is a step by step guide to get the patterns using a bluray on the ps3. I tried to type the code 7769 on the menu screen but nothing is happening. I tried with the avengers 3d bluray disc.
Any help will be appreciated.

Using the 7769 code only works on Sony Pictures discs, The Avengers is a Disney movie. So you need to find a Blu-ray from Sony in your collection or if you have a THX certified disc (which can apply to a number of different studios) you can use the THX Optimizer.

Steve Withers said:
If the Film Mode is greyed out it means your sending a progessive signal to the TV, the Film Mode only works with an interlaced signal and is therefore not needed.

Hi Steve. My tv seems to let me turn on film mode regardless if it's progressive or interlaced. If I enable film mode whilst I'm sending it a progressive image, will it effect it in some way?

Tyrone.

If the TV doesn't automatically do it, then I'd turn film mode off if you're sending a progressive signal, just to avoid any confusion on the part of the video processing.

Hi, would these menu settings also apply for the 65 inch UA65ES8000. I think it may be the same type just and Aussie model and larger as the one noted in this thread has UE

Is is an LED TV

Last edited:
I've noticed by the pictures of the samsung menus that it's very similar to the samsung ue40d7000. Would the settings for the previous model be just the same as the one you were reviewing?

I have set up my D8000 with a Humax Freesat HD receiver, using the Advanced option. I want to use the same settings for Freeview HD, but the option is now greyed out (when the source is the Humax box) so I cannot access them.

I can still access "Advanced" but only when the source is set to "TV".

What would cause the "Advanced" option to be greyed out now, given that I have used it before?

I have set up my D8000 with a Humax Freesat HD receiver, using the Advanced option. I want to use the same settings for Freeview HD, but the option is now greyed out (when the source is the Humax box) so I cannot access them.

I can still access "Advanced" but only when the source is set to "TV".

What would cause the "Advanced" option to be greyed out now, given that I have used it before?

Are you saying you can't access the Advanced sub-menu when using the built-in Freeview HD tuner?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom