Samsung launches QLED TVs at CES - news discussion

There is no such thing as 'very deep blacks', it is either black or it isn't. What they mean is very deep greys that are still not black.

Also, if the brightness levels are up to 2,000 nits, I can't wait to see how much light bleed, clouding and/or haloing they have.

"Q"LED, this wont be confusing for people.

QLED? Really? Clearly trying to capture people wanting an OLED tv and hoping they'll think it's the same thing. Typical marketing BS!

None of the QLED sets are FALD, I gather.
But they do have better viewing angles than normal LCD sets.

just cant get excited about any LED TV's, this is likely just another minute improvement on last years TV, which was a minor improvement on the previous years, etc etc.

The only TV's worth buying these days are OLEDS and this years crop may well address some of the issues on the first and second gens.

I thought the whole point of QLED was that each individual pixel was self-emitting, like an OLED...?

What is QDLED?

I hadn't expected true QLED until next year at the earliest, tbh. If this is the first generation of proper QLED sets, then it's big news indeed.

If it isn't this technology, then my view is that it isn't really QLED, just quantum dot tech. Which is not news at this point.

Their new pixel structure has a wiff of pentile about it.

"Q"LED, this wont be confusing for people.
"Hey honey, I bought you that Qled tv you've been talking about over the last few years"
o_O

So, is this the real deal now? A legit QLED TV, as in self-emitting and superior to OLED?

Or just Samsung trying to mess with and confuse consumers so they think they're buying something completely new and superior but are instead investing in old LCD tech yet again?

It seems surprisingly early for QLED to hit consumers, that's why I can't really believe it's legit.

Be interesting to find out more once someone has a hands on with the range and clarifies some of the finer details. It would appear that QLED has simply replaced their SUHD in terms of their flagship name rather than being what many expected it to be.

I wasn't expecting these to come out until March time. When do you think they will be on sale. I have literally just bought a 78KS9500 but have 30 days to return it if these are going to be a marked upgrade...

There are various eyes on reports from HDTV Test, AVS Forum, Forbes...etc. Abandoning FALD at the top end is curious. I wonder what sets the Q8 and Q9 apart in which case (Q7, Q8,and Q9 are the three flavours this year's Samsung sets come in).

I wasn't expecting these to come out until March time. When do you think they will be on sale. I have literally just bought a 78KS9500 but have 30 days to return it if these are going to be a marked upgrade...

A majority of the new TVs won't be on sale until April/May at the earliest, always best to hold off from buying now until newer models are announced as then you can save a few quid on one of the current models, or decide if it's worth waiting for one of the newer ones.

So, is this the real deal now? A legit QLED TV, as in self-emitting and superior to OLED?

Or just Samsung trying to mess with and confuse consumers so they think they're buying something completely new and superior but are instead investing in old LCD tech yet again?

It seems surprisingly early for QLED to hit consumers, that's why I can't really believe it's legit.
I made the same point in post #8. Seems to me after a bit more reading that it's still an edge-lit tech, which means it's not really QLED as far as I'm concerned.

More marketing chicanery from Samsung. Thumbs down.

I made the same point in post #8. Seems to me after a bit more reading that it's still an edge-lit tech, which means it's not really QLED as far as I'm concerned.

More marketing chicanery from Samsung. Thumbs down.
Seems so, yes. I read your comment and, sadly, I expected as much. I did a bit of research myself over the last hour and especially the article over at hdtvtest cleared things up for me.

It's still LCD with LED backlight, but apparently they have revamped their panels quite a bit. The new pixel matrix could prove bothersome if you're too colse to the TV, though. It will be interesting to see whether there are really any noticeable improvements in terms of viewing angle stability and black level, which they claim. In any case, they won't come close to OLED on any of those fronts. Unless you want the best and brightest HDR performance, then you're set with those "QLEDs".

Probably going to pick up that 55EG910V later today now.

Seems so, yes. I read your comment and, sadly, I expected as much. I did a bit of research myself over the last hour and especially the article over at hdtvtest cleared things up for me.

It's still LCD with LED backlight, but apparently they have revamped their panels quite a bit. The new pixel matrix could prove bothersome if you're too colse to the TV, though. It will be interesting to see whether there are really any noticeable improvements in terms of viewing angle stability and black level, which they claim. In any case, they won't come close to OLED on any of those fronts. Unless you want the best and brightest HDR performance, then you're set with those "QLEDs".

Probably going to pick up that 55EG910V later today now.
Why have they ditched the FALD from the KS9500? I had the KS9000 for a couple of weeks and the KS9500 is a significant upgrade in terms of light bleed and LED visibility.

@Sebinho9
I don't know. Maybe they're planing on releasing a FALD Q95 later this year. They did the same thing last year, didn't they?

@Sebinho9
I don't know. Maybe they're planing on releasing a FALD Q95 later this year. They did the same thing last year, didn't they?
Yeah. I just thought they might put FALD in all the models this year to keep up with OLED.

@Sebinho9
That's probably too optimistic thinking. FALD on LCD has usually always been a kind of luxury reserved for only the most expensive flagship models. I would never expect to see FALD on something like the 7 series for example. Also prices would go up further.

Maybe the black level improvements on those new sets are so significant, you won't miss FALD? Probably wishful thinking...

It would be a lot better instead of silly improvements with silly names is to improve there customer after sales service which treat us like complete Idiots! It is no good bringing out new TVs when the after sales is totally CRAP.Ask Them about that when you interview Samsung about there up and coming new TVs for this year New TVs need good after sales service as well as bells & whistles TVs

I actually like a lot the aesthetics of the Q9, it looks slim, nice from every angle, and the stand is much nicer (IMO) than any other I've seen: Simple, low and matte (not chromed). The thing that WORRIES ME right now is that I have the feeling that the Q9 will not be made in sizes below 65", and I am in the market for a 55" only. Everything will be confirmed tonight, and I hope I'm wrong. The Q7, which is flat as well, will be in 55" and lower sizes for sure (same as the Q8), but I'm not into curved screens, and probably the P.Q. will be lower on the Q7.

If Samsung wants to be up there with the 55E6, the 55E7 in 2017, they definitely need a 55".
Q9.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom