Samsung Laptop Issue (Returning To Comet) !

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by judethedude, Dec 31, 2011.

1. judethedude

judethedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    On 3/12/11 I bought a Samsung NP300E7-A04UK (after reading several favorable reviews) for my wife as a Christmas present. The laptop has an Intel I3 processor and 6gb of RAM. She started using the laptop on Christmas day but found that it was both extremely slow and the cursor would often radomly disappear and then reappear somewhere else on the screen.

As we've been away for a few days it was only today that I was able to take the laptop back to Comet which, fortunately, turned out to be the 28th day after purchase after which, I was informed by Comet, they could not have done anything ! Apparently, Comets policy (within the 28 days) is to call the manufacturer and then, based on the response, offer either a replacement or a repair ! Unfortunately it was after 4pm and the Samsung repairs/service center was closed until January 2nd and so I was asked to return on the 2nd.

I refused as it would then be after the 28 days so I made Comet keep the laptop and give me a receipt confirming that it was now in their posession. I was then told that, in advance of calling Samsung, they would put the laptop on a bench Monday morning and see if they could reproduce the cursor problem and see if they thought the laptop was slower than would be expected ! They also said that the problem was probably caused by a virus (I dont think so as its only been used for a couple of hours) and that it would probably be fixed by a full factory reset ! A slow laptop is a slow laptop IMO.

Basically, the laptop has a jumping cursor issue and is far slower than my sons Acer which is also new and was £150 cheaper. It's also slower than my wifes 6 year old Acer which the Samsung was bought to replace. I'm not after a refund but just a replacement (not a Samsung) but, if Comet consider the speed to be acceptable and cannot reproduce the jumping cursor issue, they will not call Samsung and I'm stuck with it. What would you do ?

Has anybody had either a similar issue with a Samsung laptop and/or returned a laptop to Comet ?

Thank you & Happy New Year !

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  2. wezzywebb

wezzywebb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,001
    its probably too late now,but did you check to see what performance mode it was running in,most laptops have various modes ie powersaver,balanced,and performance,if it was running in powersaver this basicaly downclocks the cpu etc and would make it run slow,the easiest way to check is right click on the battery icon and select power options,also the laptop was probably running a lot of unwanted bloatware ,again this is something that can be eliminated,as for the cursor issue,this could be a fault or just a poor driver or settings

3. judethedude

judethedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Thanks for the response Wezzywebb.

To be honest, I didn't check the performance mode and didn't have time to check how much "bloatware" was running in the background in the short time we had the laptop running. My sons new Acer laptop was running perfectly straight out of the box and I assumed that would have been the same with the Samsung !

However, the cursor problem is certainly an issue which I hope Comet will notice and confirm as a fault !

4. judethedude

judethedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I should also add that the Samsung was running slow even when plugged into the mains !

5. wezzywebb

wezzywebb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,001
    the powersaver settings etc still apply when running off mains,anyway ,fingers crossed you get this sorted ,and all the best for 2012:thumbsup:

6. judethedude

judethedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Fingers crossed.

Happy New Year Wezzyweb :)

7. SUMMONER

SUMMONER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    99% of problems are cause by software, so there is a very good chance that the laptop will work perfectly fine after the Windows software restore.

The 28day rule is something that the retail sector made up, there is no law to support it. In fact the Sales of Goods Act that governs your purchase (as a consumer) gives you 6month to return goods to the seller "if they have never worked properly". It is then up to the seller to proof that the goods were in fact working properly at the time of the sale. If they can't provide the proof they must replace/refund the item. After 6month the onus of proof shifts to the buyer.

8. judethedude

judethedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Great info Summoner, thank you very much. I'm hoping they will see the problem and I will not have to resort to reading the riot act but I will do if necessary.

Thanks again and Happy New year.

9. NWHornet

NWHornet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Had same cursor issues with Samsung (not same model) laptop, but sorted in 5 mins after d/l updated driver for touchpad. First thing I do with any new pc/laptop is update drivers asap and remove unneccesary software before I install any required software. Not much help I know while Comet have your laptop.

10. judethedude

judethedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Thanks for that NWHornet.

I guess I should have posted on here before taking the laptop back to Comet as it seems the issues would probably have been resolved :facepalm:

I'll have to wait and see what Comet have to say tomorrow.

11. NWHornet

NWHornet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    No probs.
    Learnt the hard way after their "PC experts" tried to baffle me with science years ago. Soon learnt forums are great places to learn, and not being afraid to have a go yourself. Hope you get it sorted.