Answered Samsung KU6000 or Sony XD80?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by CorruptTimeLord, Sep 24, 2016.

1. CorruptTimeLord

CorruptTimeLord
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #17 by FarleyUK, Oct 1, 2016 (1 points)
  3. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    The Samsung only has an 8 bit screen so is incapable of displaying to HDR10 standard.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,050
    HDR won't look good on either TV, you want to be aiming for a Samsung KS7000 or higher for decent HDR. Any cheaper TV doesn't get bright enough.

There's a big difference between reading HDR and displaying it.

Out of those two though the Sony is the better if a bad bunch though as it has better colours.

5. CorruptTimeLord

CorruptTimeLord
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have a hard enough time saving 800+ for the XD80, let alone the 1100+ for the KS7000. If there's not that much difference between the XD80 and KU6000...might as well go for the cheaper option. Was going to save for the XD80 but this does output HDR10 despite having 8-bit screen.

Sure it's not going to look the best for the price, but looks decent enough to me.

6. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the Samsung 55" 6000 and couldn't be happier with it's general performance. Over the weekend I noticed a new option in the Video settings, HDR+. Once engaged, I was treated to enhanced colour saturation as well as a more uniform contrast levels. I accept that this is an entry level 8 bit panel but having watched a few Bluray's via my PS3, I was very impressed with black level, colour saturation and shadow detail (especially on movies such as Gravity). Having said all that, I have always been impressed by the Bravia range of TV's. It would be interesting to have both for a side by side comparison.

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,050
    Without getting the KS7000 there's very little difference between the KU6000 and XD80 as far as HDR is concerned. HDR on those TVs will give you better colours but that's it. You won't get good local dimming or brightness which is what HDR is all about. The main drawback with the KU6000 is judder in films. If that's a concern I would look at the Panasonic DX-700 instead.

8. tygn

tygn
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Dodgexander,

Still looking for TV's, for my budget and needs Samsung KU series will serve better. But whenever I'm close to buy Samsung KU6000 for example, your judder warning coming to my mind. Is there any judder free models in KU series or I should save money for the KS series?

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,050
    I think all the tv's have judder, just the same as the JU series last year. Don't be put off by it unless you know you notice it though. Its only visible to some and will only affect watching films at 24fps.

If you want to avoid judder you can look at alternatives from Philips or Panasonic too. Philips 6401 or 6501, Panasonic DX-700 too.

10. tygn

tygn
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you,

Thing is, I am not fully sure if I realize judder. Is there any way to get rid of judder issue by converting movies into different formats? For example, I will usually watch .mkv files, but I assume it's nothing to do with video format. I've never considered Philips because many people advising to stay away like it's a disease, not sure why. But I will check the model you wrote. Panasonic is little above my budget, but if I was sure it would play all the movie files from USB, I could save some extra for that.

11. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,050
    I think the Panasonic doesn't support DTS sound from usb/network but I'm not sure.

As for Philips, they are improving, especially in the budget sector.

Judder is just caused by a tv not being able to display a film frame rate correctly. Films are shot in 24p or 24hz (your mkv rips will be too most likely) and a TV has to find a way of display exactly that on its display without changing it. Its when tv's can't play exactly that they they have judder. They have to divide 24 in to their panel refresh rate instead for instance 24/60 and its the extra frames they have to repeat that cause the judder. If a tv can change its panel to 24hz or a multiple of 24 without trouble you don't get judder. See if you notice judder on the link here: Judder-free 24p on TVs

12. FarleyUK

FarleyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    I've got the XD80 (the 55" version) and am seriously impressed with it. Very very good colours, SD, HD and 4K look excellent on it, and it's a 10-bit HDR panel. I was looking at the 55" KS7000 as well, but for £300 less, I'm very very happy with the Sony!

13. AndrewP84

AndrewP84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Really tempted by the 55XD8005 as John Lewis are currently have it for sale for £999.95 with a free Sony HT-CT390 soundbar which looks pretty decent.

I have a PS4 Pro on pre order, and I am looking to buy a new TV before that comes, how do you think this TV will perform when using it with a PS4 Pro?

If there is anything else that would suit my needs, please feel free to reccomend any other products. I was looking at the KS7000 but saw the Sony on offer and thought it looked a good buy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Andrew

14. FarleyUK

FarleyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    I've hopefully got an Xbox One S arriving tomorrow as well to run it through it's paces. Heard a lot of great things about the game mode and HDR on the TV though. I can confirm that the PS4 and Xbone look great on it though, and are very smooth.

15. AndrewP84

AndrewP84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks for your reply Farley, let me know what you think when you get your Xbox One S and put the TV through its paces :)

Do you know what the difference is between the 55DX8005 and the model below?

Buy Sony Bravia 55XD8577/8599 LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Android TV, 55" With Youview/Freeview HD, Playstation Now & Silver Slate Design | John Lewis

Is there anything thats worth the £150.00 extra over the DX8005?

Cheers

Andrew

16. FarleyUK

FarleyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Looks like it has a higher refresh rate - but there's a certain point of diminishing returns with the refresh, and TBH, the 400hz on the XD80005 is superb.

17. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,050
    @Farely do you know if your 55" XD80 is an IPS or VA panel?

XD80 will display the better colour of HDR well but it won't get as bright nor have good enough local dimming to display it well. For that you need a Samsung KS7000 or higher.

It should have only a 50/60hz panel. The 400 (8*50hz)is the fake refresh rate Sony made up when you have motionflow enabled and at its strongest strength. All motion flow does is insert frames to fake the appearance of a higher refresh rate. It's not a true refresh rate. It may make the backlight refresh faster but it won't affect the panel.

See: The truth about Ultra HD 4K TV refresh rates

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  18. FarleyUK

FarleyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Best Answer
    How can I tell about the panel type? Have a feeling it's IPS as viewing angles are very good.

I'm trying to transfer things from my PC to the attached USB HDD on the TV, but it's not accessible from the PC (via Windows or direct to the IP). Anyone have any idea how to access the HDD over the network?

19. FarleyUK

FarleyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Another quick question with regards to consoles and Full or Limited range...

I've read that all consoles should be set to limited, even if they have the 'Full' ability - is that right? When I set the XBone to Full, the calibration doesn't show all the black levels even when the TV is set to 'Auto' Dynamic Range (or manually put on 'Full').

I'm trying to get to a point where I can ideally use one display preset (i.e. Game mode) fopr both PS4 and Xbox S, but if the PS4 is on Full and XBone S on Limited, that's going to cause some issues.....

20. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,050
    IPS screens fair better from an angle. VA screens don't. If you notice the colours and contrast change when over a 20 degree angle its VA, if around 30-35 its IPS. There's a more definitive way to check by taking a picture close up of the pixels too.

As for serving the HDD connected to your tv. I'm not sure if you can do that or not, you could try downloading an app on the play store that serves the files but i'm not sure if its technically possible.

Both consoles should be set to full range, I don't see why they should be set to limited. If you play them limited you're clipping colours in games, if you set to full they should correctly leave out the lower and higher black levels which is actually correct for movies. If you are testing with a video test pattern and seeing this that's correct because films aren't full range.

21. King Carlos III

King Carlos III
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, just been reading through the thread and seems to be a lot of knowledge on show, much more knowledge than I have on this subject so I wonder if I can ask dodgexander for their opinion on the best TV to buy with my £800 budget? I have been looking at the 4 brands of LG, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung and my head is spinning trying to work out which tv is best for me. I'm not really a gamer, will mainly be watching tv and movies, sometimes streamed, sometimes downloaded and watched via USB HDD and some sport. I want 4K HDR. Would really appreciate your opinion.