Samsung KS9000\8000 Owners Thread Part 2

My KS8000 is still going strong - though I'm now seeing a little bit of light bleed directly above the Samsung logo. Not a biggy at the moment.

Richer Sounds keeps tempting me with offers on new TV :-> Just got email offering the QE55Q90T for £1399. Gets excellent reviews.

I still love my KS8000 and not sure what a Q90T would offer me over and above what I have now. OK I would get native HLG and HDR10+ but support for these is pretty sparse. No DV of course.

My main queries are OLED v QLED and lack of DV. I've never had a OLED or had DV as the KS8000 was my first only only UHD TV

In 2020 should I be insisting on a TV with DV or is it a non issue with a QLED? Confused!

Interested in thoughts from anyone.

Hey up buddy! I have a new (2019) Q950R - absolutely marvellous with it's 8K upscaling. I guess the 90T will have eARC but not sure if it is 8K or not. The 2019 and 2020 QLED's have come on leeps and bounds since our 2016 sets - go and have an audition, I'd say. HDR10+ isn't as sparse as you may think and whilst there's no DV (yet) DV is primarily for OLED set owners as they need something to improve their "Darks" IMHO. The brightness, clarity and colours is really something to see. Hope this helps :)

Hey up buddy! I have a new (2019) Q950R - absolutely marvellous with it's 8K upscaling. I guess the 90T will have eARC but not sure if it is 8K or not. The 2019 and 2020 QLED's have come on leeps and bounds since our 2016 sets - go and have an audition, I'd say. HDR10+ isn't as sparse as you may think and whilst there's no DV (yet) DV is primarily for OLED set owners as they need something to improve their "Darks" IMHO. The brightness, clarity and colours is really something to see. Hope this helps :)
You are incorrect in the sense that DV is primarily for Oled sets to improve “their darks” it shows you have no understanding of Oled TVs. Pretty much every tv manufacture has DV apart from Samsung and Samsung owners are really missing out. Personally having a Samsung Ks9000 series and an Oled, Oled TVs are the best.

Yeah, I came from a KS9000 which was great to an LG C8, no idea what the current Samsungs are like, but it’d take an awful lot for me to come away from a DV oled now.

I won't start a massive argument but you are wrong. DV is for enthusiasts who think their LG sets are better than anyone elses. As stated above the 2019/2020 QLEDs are more than a match for OLEDs and if you follow all the forums, not just DV ones but ones which come across neutral you'll read what I'm saying. DV is more technical and lends itself to being adjusted at the source end, assuming you have the right equipment but just because HDR10+ is what Samsung use and invented, doesn't mean they are inferior. OLEDs provide more contrast, that is a given but because of their organic nature, they lead to potential "burn-in" issues. I've auditioned an LG C9 alongside my new TV and I have to say, IMHO the QLED was better. Maybe in a different environment it could be the other way round but please don't say OLEDs are better - I have years of experience my friend and HDR10+ vs DV is an issue that is being debated, a conclusion for which so far hasn't been reached. So when OLED owners complain, when watching an HDR source of any kind, that the Picture is too dark, it's because like for like they will be compared to QLEDS.

I won't start a massive argument but you are wrong. DV is for enthusiasts who think their LG sets are better than anyone elses. As stated above the 2019/2020 QLEDs are more than a match for OLEDs and if you follow all the forums, not just DV ones but ones which come across neutral you'll read what I'm saying. DV is more technical and lends itself to being adjusted at the source end, assuming you have the right equipment but just because HDR10+ is what Samsung use and invented, doesn't mean they are inferior. OLEDs provide more contrast, that is a given but because of their organic nature, they lead to potential "burn-in" issues. I've auditioned an LG C9 alongside my new TV and I have to say, IMHO the QLED was better. Maybe in a different environment it could be the other way round but please don't say OLEDs are better - I have years of experience my friend and HDR10+ vs DV is an issue that is being debated, a conclusion for which so far hasn't been reached. So when OLED owners complain, when watching an HDR source of any kind, that the Picture is too dark, it's because like for like they will be compared to QLEDS.
Personally I think Oled TVs are way better however that doesn’t mean I am right nor does it mean I’m wrong. I’ve never complained that a HDR picture is too dark, I find it perfectly acceptable and I’m happy with it.

Yep, can only speak from my own experience, but my C8 looks way better than my KS9000 ever did.

Not saying the KS was bad by any stretch, it was a fantastic tv when I bought it, it maybe partly that the C8 was newer tech, but DV definitely looks better to me, than HDR on the Samsung.

Personal opinion and only going by my own viewing conditions, not saying anyone is right or wrong.

Thanks for the input. I need to see OLED and QLED side by side to get a better idea.

I really like the look of the Q90T though!

Or maybe the LG CX!

Last edited:
Yep, can only speak from my own experience, but my C8 looks way better than my KS9000 ever did.

Not saying the KS was bad by any stretch, it was a fantastic tv when I bought it, it maybe partly that the C8 was newer tech, but DV definitely looks better to me, than HDR on the Samsung.

Personal opinion and only going by my own viewing conditions, not saying anyone is right or wrong.

Now I've transferred all my old large collection of DVD films and TV series to a Zidoo X10 (children and grandchildren watching the DVDs multiple times has resulted in many thumb prints and scratches on many of the DVDs), I have stuck with the old KS8000.

Why? Because the KS8000 can handle old SD films and TV series so very well. My blu-ray collection is still viewed on disc and the 55" KS8000 can handle the HD stuff just as well. There are no UHD discs in my library.

So I have no need to change the KS8000.

...Yet.

However, I am keeping up to date with the latest TV releases just in case the lovely well-used KS8000 has to be replaced suddenly due to a fault or a grandchild damaging the screen with a toy.

:D

I also have a KS8000, very nice TV along with my Q950R, but for me the Q950R has a better picture than OLED. its the best quality picture i have ever seen

CX 48 inch OLED
I would second that. I have the Cx 48. Got it as a warranty replacement for my KS8000. Overall I much preferred the Ks. Gaming & HDR sources are much superior in the Oled but the upscaling & picture processing just aren’t in the same league as the KS. Lots of noise where things should be in soft focus. 1080 streamed football is practically unwatchable because the pitch is flashing & pulsating. Colour banding is evident a lot more. Lower bitrate sources look absolutely awful. If I could turn back time & get the KS back I would. Oled is undoubtably a better Tech but LG are definitely not getting the best out of it. They never mention any of this in the reviews.

Well the last four years three months have been fun. But tomorrow I get an LG CX 55 to replace my KS8000. It's been a great TV but time to try something new and move on.

Well the last four years three months have been fun. But tomorrow I get an LG CX 55 to replace my KS8000. It's been a great TV but time to try something new and move on.
Let me know how you get on. See post above.

Hello everyone.
I bought the KS8000 a couple of years ago was really happy with it but seems to be a bit pawley at the bottom :(
Its a strange light blue or purple light accross the bottom edge.
Can anyone advise if this can be fixed ?
And if so is it expensive?

I've attached a picture..

Many thanks for any advise help. :lesson:

Attachments

• 15995630015234160261732480507631.jpg
    15995630015234160261732480507631.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 119
Hello everyone.
I bought the KS8000 a couple of years ago was really happy with it but seems to be a bit pawley at the bottom :(
Its a strange light blue or purple light accross the bottom edge.
Can anyone advise if this can be fixed ?
And if so is it expensive?

I've attached a picture..

Many thanks for any advise help. :lesson:
I’m afraid to say that will need a new panel. Happened to mine twice! Mine was deemed uneconomical to repair the second time.

I’m afraid to say that will need a new panel. Happened to mine twice! Mine was deemed uneconomical to repair the second time.
Ahh bugger!
Thanks for that. It wouldn't be so bad if i didn't notice it all the time! :facepalm:
Did the new panel and repair cost much?

Mine has gone the same way, around 7 light blooms along the bottom edge, just waiting to hear back from the seller and warranty company.

Mine has gone the same way, around 7 light blooms along the bottom edge, just waiting to hear back from the seller and warranty company.
Uhhh damn. Hope you get that sorted. I've been told a new screen would cost me £680 plus £99 labour...
I turned my backlight down to 5 and altered my settings a bit and it is much better at least watching movies. Will do until I save up for an Oled.

Ahh bugger!
Thanks for that. It wouldn't be so bad if i didn't notice it all the time! :facepalm:
Did the new panel and repair cost much?
Had mine done under warranty the first time. Second time it was deemed too expensive & taken away.I’ve got an LG CX now. Had to pay an extra £500 though. Its worth enquiring though. Did you get an extended warranty?

Had mine done under warranty the first time. Second time it was deemed too expensive & taken away.I’ve got an LG CX now. Had to pay an extra £500 though. Its worth enquiring though. Did you get an extended warranty?
Nope sadly I bought pre owned.
The seller bought it from Currys before I had it. He mentioned hed had it almost 2 year so Its out by now.

Those LG's look great enjoy it!!
That is what Im saving for and I will buy new!

Hi all

Sorry if this has been discussed before but too many pages to look through.

Problem I have is I have a Samsung KS9000 and bought a JBL 9.1 Atmos bar. I have tried sources directly into the bar but cant get Atmos signal only Dolby Surround. Sources plugged in were Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen with Atmos and Dolby Vision and also Nvidia shield Pro 2019 also with Atmos and Dolby Vision but when playing programs from Netflix and Prime Video in Dolby Atmos I have Atmos symbol displayed in prgram info and HDR but only can get Dolby Surround not full Atmos when Atmos signal goes through the bar it should display Atmos on display not Dolby Surround.

Any help appreciated

Have also posted in JBL forum but no has of yet been able to help.

For info TV audio been set to Bitstream and PCM but no full Atmos only Dolby Surround

Thanks
Eggie

Hi all

Sorry if this has been discussed before but too many pages to look through.

Problem I have is I have a Samsung KS9000 and bought a JBL 9.1 Atmos bar. I have tried sources directly into the bar but cant get Atmos signal only Dolby Surround. Sources plugged in were Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen with Atmos and Dolby Vision and also Nvidia shield Pro 2019 also with Atmos and Dolby Vision but when playing programs from Netflix and Prime Video in Dolby Atmos I have Atmos symbol displayed in prgram info and HDR but only can get Dolby Surround not full Atmos when Atmos signal goes through the bar it should display Atmos on display not Dolby Surround.

Any help appreciated

Have also posted in JBL forum but no has of yet been able to help.

For info TV audio been set to Bitstream and PCM but no full Atmos only Dolby Surround

Thanks
Eggie
I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying there's an issue with your soundbar decoding from source directly, or are you trying to run it through TV and/or including OTT apps?

There's a soundbar sub-forum if you think the issue is the bar. For the sake of starting with the obvious, I assume you've enabled the relevant CEC handshakes...?

If the problem is the latter one, I don't think there will be enough bandwidth to push lossless Atmos. It should still give you Atmos performance (though lossy), but encoded via a Dolby Digital Plus. You'd need eARC for full Atmos otherwise.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your issue, which is entirely possible.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom