Samsung KS9000\8000 Owners Thread Part 2

HDR10+ is basically Dolby Vision tech in an HDR10 set isn't it?

In simple terms - I guess you could say that its similar.

HDR10+ is HDR10 with Dynamic Metadata. Dolby Vision also has Dynamic Metadata but also uses 12bit colour depth and mastered (currently) to 4000nits but could be mastered up to 10000nits. HDR10 can be mastered at 1000 or 4000nits and 10bit colour depth. Its also open source where as Dolby Vision is licensed and requires a fee to be paid by studios and manufacturers to use Dolby Vision.

If/when HDR10+ comes to Bluray, it will be handled in the same way. the base layer will be HDR10 so anyone with a 4k HDR TV and Player will get HDR10. those with a Dolby Vision or HDR10+ TV and player will get access to a layer on top of HDR10. The layer is different for Dolby Vision (SMPTE ST-2094 10) and HDR10+ (SMPTE ST 2094-40). Dolby use Parametric Tone Mapping whilst HDR10+ use Scene-based Color Volume Mapping - both different types of metadata so essentially they are different.

For the average consumer, the two formats are very similar and should be delivered by similar methods but the metadata itself is different. The end result for us though is that we get a 'better' HDR experience as the scenes themselves will be optimised for our TV's.

Contacting John Lewis today re: the attached images. Bought a new KS8000 in June last year, had it replaced within the first month due to dead pixels. This set was ok for a few months when it developed an image issue similar to the attached. The panel was replaced but I've arrived at the same point several months later (attached images should highlight 4 separate instances of a white blotch or line - the previous panel only had the one).

I'm 18 months into the John Lewis 5 year warranty - will it be standard for them to carry out another screen replacement or am I likely to be initially fobbed off with a standard 'within acceptable limits' response? Would honestly jump at the chance to swap to another model (preferably an OLED) at this stage!

Attachments

• 20171213_123519.jpg
    20171213_123519.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 138
  • 20171213_123736.jpg
    20171213_123736.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 135
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I’ve noticed increasing light bleed and torch effect from my 65ks9000, when watching HDR content much worse!

Do Samsung sort the light bleed/ torch effect issues ?

I don’t think so...
No support for hdr10+ in 2016 TVs...

It’s sad Samsung.

It was confirmed by Samsung that HDR10+ support would come to 2016 KS TV's. They said it would come first to 2017 TV's with the KS range coming later. They did say the latter half of 2017 but it seems that a lot of things have been delayed - HDR10+ has only just come to Amazon and that was expected months ago. HDMI 2.1 was also expected to launch in late 2017 but that looks like its now not going to launch until 2018 now. Things seem to be a lot later than expected so maybe the HDR10+ support that the 2016 TV's were supposed to be getting has been delayed too.

What makes it really annoying in regards to the HLG issue is that some tv's that only cost £399 will support it.

What makes it really annoying in regards to the HLG issue is that some tv's that only cost £399 will support it.
Like the generic branded rubbish they sell in supermarket's , I would rather have my ks7000 without HLG then one of them !!!!

It was confirmed by Samsung that HDR10+ support would come to 2016 KS TV's. They said it would come first to 2017 TV's with the KS range coming later. They did say the latter half of 2017 but it seems that a lot of things have been delayed - HDR10+ has only just come to Amazon and that was expected months ago. HDMI 2.1 was also expected to launch in late 2017 but that looks like its now not going to launch until 2018 now. Things seem to be a lot later than expected so maybe the HDR10+ support that the 2016 TV's were supposed to be getting has been delayed too.

Pat of article of 21/09/2017
"All of Samsung’s 2017 HDR TVs can support it, and the brand initially said that its 2016 TVs would be updated to handle it too. Though they sounded a touch less certain of this latter fact the last time I spoke to them about it."

is not sure HDR10+ in 2016 models tv

Regarding the non arraival of Blue Planet 2 HLG HDR via the TVs iPlayer app - I got this DM from Samsung Support

"We have enabled all 2016 UHD TV with UHD HDR HLG for Broadcast Services as promised, provided that the latest firmware version is installed. It must be noted this does not include IHD HDR HLG Content delivered via the BBC iPlayer Application as this is not a Broadcast Service."

What do they mean. Surely the TV's native app should be OK?

Not looked in on this thread for a while now - still a very happy KS8000 owner.
Was excited to see the news about 4K Blue Planet II on iPlayer but can't see it. Is that related to the post above? Does this mean they've added HLG as far as they're concerned and that's it? Fuming if so..

How does everybody else’s tv cope with light bleed when watching HDR content ?

How does everybody else’s tv cope with light bleed when watching HDR content ?
I don't get much bleed but bias light helps a lot

Shouldn’t have to use bias lighting though. I’m gunna get in touch with Samsung tomorrow.

I know and thanks. I’ll see what Samsung say today, it’s less than 12 month old so I’ll see if they can sort it.

Last edited:
Just a head up. samsunguk have told me that the ks series will not be supporting BBC HLG HDR format. This means that we wont be getting BBC in HDR when they begin broadcasting it. They will only enable it for 2017 products. Outrageous...

"Hi there, Chris. We are pleased to confirm all 2016 Samsung UHD TV’s have been enabled to support UHD HDR HLG content via TV broadcast as was promised. (Ensure the latest software version is installed). Please note this differs from that used by the BBC iPlayer Online Streaming service and there are no plans at this time to enable it for 2016 devices."

Just a head up. samsunguk have told me that the ks series will not be supporting BBC HLG HDR format. This means that we wont be getting BBC in HDR when they begin broadcasting it. They will only enable it for 2017 products. Outrageous...

"Hi there, Chris. We are pleased to confirm all 2016 Samsung UHD TV’s have been enabled to support UHD HDR HLG content via TV broadcast as was promised. (Ensure the latest software version is installed). Please note this differs from that used by the BBC iPlayer Online Streaming service and there are no plans at this time to enable it for 2016 devices."
So if I am reading that right the KS series will get HDR HLG on TV broadcast but not on iPlayer online as in the TV app ?

Outrageous that a near two year old tv won’t be updated to support something? Disappointing maybe, hardly outrageous.

Did you buy the tv with the promise from Samsung of it being updated?

Personally, I’d say any outrage should be directed at the paid for by licence fee BBC for not using the same standard of HDR already universally available on UHD discs, but choosing to do something different.

iplayer streaming is a test of the broadcast platform that they will be using, so its the same thing. yes it is outrageous, the tv cost £1500 a year ago and they are hobbling it just because they can. Also i dont believe that they are using a custom HLG platform as it works on other TV's. its a lame excuse from samsung as to why they are trying to force you to upgrade.

If you’re that bothered maybe you should’ve waited and bought a later model?

Having said that, whatever model you buy, no matter when you buy it, there’s always going to be something newer or better around the corner.

At the end of the day, you buy what’s on offer now, or you wait and seen what’s coming next.

Isn’t there a new HDMI Standard in the pipeline? Should we be outraged that Samsung’s old models won’t support that too?

Should I be outraged that my AV amp that I bought last year only has 3 HDCP compatible HDMI inputs, but now I find I need more than 3?

Like I said, direct your outrage towards the BBC for not using something more widely supported.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom