Samsung KS9000\8000 Owners Thread Part 2

difusion

Novice Member
I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying there's an issue with your soundbar decoding from source directly, or are you trying to run it through TV and/or including OTT apps?

There's a soundbar sub-forum if you think the issue is the bar. For the sake of starting with the obvious, I assume you've enabled the relevant CEC handshakes...?

If the problem is the latter one, I don't think there will be enough bandwidth to push lossless Atmos. It should still give you Atmos performance (though lossy), but encoded via a Dolby Digital Plus. You'd need eARC for full Atmos otherwise.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your issue, which is entirely possible.
Hi

What I'm doing pushing both sources Fire TV Cube and Nvidia shield Pro 2019 through the HDMI in on bar both Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision enabled

Tried each source one at a time but cant get Dolby Atmos Signal through both sources the bar only decodes to Dolby Surround sound and not Atmos even if I get lossy Atmos it will be better than Dolby Surround.

But on each source I try Netflix and Prime Video enabled programs I only get Dol y Surround where in theory I should get has yku said lossy Atmos but dont only Dolby Surround.

I have CEc enabled on TV and Sky Q but with Sky Q the Audio id enabled to Dolby Digital plus but that also gives Dolby Surround.

So at a loss why I can't get Dolby Atmos even if lossy would be better than Dolby Surround.

Any help appreciated

Eggie

Billy Goodgun

Hi

What I'm doing pushing both sources Fire TV Cube and Nvidia shield Pro 2019 through the HDMI in on bar both Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision enabled

Tried each source one at a time but cant get Dolby Atmos Signal through both sources the bar only decodes to Dolby Surround sound and not Atmos even if I get lossy Atmos it will be better than Dolby Surround.

But on each source I try Netflix and Prime Video enabled programs I only get Dol y Surround where in theory I should get has yku said lossy Atmos but dont only Dolby Surround.

I have CEc enabled on TV and Sky Q but with Sky Q the Audio id enabled to Dolby Digital plus but that also gives Dolby Surround.

So at a loss why I can't get Dolby Atmos even if lossy would be better than Dolby Surround.

Any help appreciated

Eggie
You might be better talking to Samsung customer service tbh, but I don't know that it would show as Dolby Atmos even if it's lossy - it might just show as a lower bitrate Dolby signal (like Surround), where it's encoded in DD+.

difusion

Novice Member
You might be better talking to Samsung customer service tbh, but I don't know that it would show as Dolby Atmos even if it's lossy - it might just show as a lower bitrate Dolby signal (like Surround), where it's encoded in DD+.

Thanks for info that's what I'm actually experiencing just Dolby Surround has you said Atmos lossy so being decoded has Dolby Surround in 5.1

Eggie

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member
If you are playing a source directly into the soundbar and passing the image through to the TV, that has nothing to do with the TV but the set-up on those devices and/or the Soundbar. If you are trying to pass sound through ARC from the TV to the Soundbar, you will NOT get anything more than 5.1 because ARC can only handle up to 5.1 Audio.

If, as it seems, you have those devices connected directly to your soundbar, you are better off contacting JBL or seeking answers from those people with those devices - in case there is some setting you may need to adjust. I assume you are using the right HDMI cable so bandwidth isn't an issue - High Speed HDMI cables are 18Gb/s compared to standard at ~11Gb/s.

You may also need to check the specs of the HDMI input ports on your soundbar - not all may be HDMI2.0 either so may not have the bandwidth. Its possible that you only have 1 port that can support Atmos due to bandwidth requirements...

difusion

Novice Member
If you are playing a source directly into the soundbar and passing the image through to the TV, that has nothing to do with the TV but the set-up on those devices and/or the Soundbar. If you are trying to pass sound through ARC from the TV to the Soundbar, you will NOT get anything more than 5.1 because ARC can only handle up to 5.1 Audio.

If, as it seems, you have those devices connected directly to your soundbar, you are better off contacting JBL or seeking answers from those people with those devices - in case there is some setting you may need to adjust. I assume you are using the right HDMI cable so bandwidth isn't an issue - High Speed HDMI cables are 18Gb/s compared to standard at ~11Gb/s.

You may also need to check the specs of the HDMI input ports on your soundbar - not all may be HDMI2.0 either so may not have the bandwidth. Its possible that you only have 1 port that can support Atmos due to bandwidth requirements...
Hi

Thanks for your detailed info but got my Nvidia shield Pro to work and give Atmos when playing Atmos movie. One member JBL forum said I needed to disable Dolby processing in nvidia sheild after disabling the Dolby processing in nvidia sheild I get Atmos through the bar and am using a high speed 18Gbit HDMI cable and goes to the TV HDMI labelled ARC.

Eggie

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member
Hi

Thanks for your detailed info but got my Nvidia shield Pro to work and give Atmos when playing Atmos movie. One member JBL forum said I needed to disable Dolby processing in nvidia sheild after disabling the Dolby processing in nvidia sheild I get Atmos through the bar and am using a high speed 18Gbit HDMI cable and goes to the TV HDMI labelled ARC.

Eggie
Cool - as I said, its most likely to be a set up issue and best to ask those with those devices and/or soundbar - nothing to do with the TV. At least it was just a setting that needed to be adjusted - the first thing I suggested maybe the problem. The HDMI cabling was a suggestion if EVERYTHING else had been set-up with the correct settings and still not working...

Blenky

Let me know how you get on. See post above.
Just got it today and wow! Still tweaking to get it how I like it but so far its a stunner. The KS is still a great set but tech has moved on in four years.

Finbow

Just got it today and wow! Still tweaking to get it how I like it but so far its a stunner. The KS is still a great set but tech has moved on in four years.
Glad to hear it. I’m running really hot & cold with mine. Looks stunning at times & garbage at others. See you on the CX owners forum!

razy60

Hi all

Sorry if this has been discussed before but too many pages to look through.

Problem I have is I have a Samsung KS9000 and bought a JBL 9.1 Atmos bar. I have tried sources directly into the bar but cant get Atmos signal only Dolby Surround. Sources plugged in were Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen with Atmos and Dolby Vision and also Nvidia shield Pro 2019 also with Atmos and Dolby Vision but when playing programs from Netflix and Prime Video in Dolby Atmos I have Atmos symbol displayed in prgram info and HDR but only can get Dolby Surround not full Atmos when Atmos signal goes through the bar it should display Atmos on display not Dolby Surround.

Any help appreciated

Have also posted in JBL forum but no has of yet been able to help.

For info TV audio been set to Bitstream and PCM but no full Atmos only Dolby Surround

Thanks
Eggie
Hi, your TV will not output anything higher than 5.1. So if your devices are going into the TV then going into the JBL via arc then no atmos, if your devices connect to the JBL then the TV then you should be able to get atmos.

Blenky

I've put my KS8000 on eBay for collection only. Can't really find much info on what I should expect for second hand KS. Mine is in excellent condition with only very small light bleed at centre bottom.

Samsung UE55KS8000T 55in QLED Quantum Dot Ultra HD Premium HDR 1000 TV | eBay

I've put in on auction for £195 start and buy it now for £595. Had offer for £400 cash which I've rejected. Came back asking what would be lowest I would go.

Not sure how to respond - don't want to go too low! Any thoughts? Thanks.

Domgears

Standard Member
I've put my KS8000 on eBay for collection only. Can't really find much info on what I should expect for second hand KS. Mine is in excellent condition with only very small light bleed at centre bottom.

Samsung UE55KS8000T 55in QLED Quantum Dot Ultra HD Premium HDR 1000 TV | eBay

I've put in on auction for £195 start and buy it now for £595. Had offer for £400 cash which I've rejected. Came back asking what would be lowest I would go.

Not sure how to respond - don't want to go too low! Any thoughts? Thanks.
Suggest £530, he will likely counter offer and you can finally settle on £500!

Blenky

Is there an Apple TV+ app for the KS ranges? Never looked for it on mine and its's now disconnected.

Also does it support Apple Airplay?

Cheers

Blenky

Is there an Apple TV+ app for the KS ranges? Never looked for it on mine and its's now disconnected.

Also does it support Apple Airplay?

Cheers
Anyone?

Harlem

Is it just me or has the menus become super sluggish when you initially turn it on these days.
Sorts itself after a minute or so, but seems choppy, jumpy and unresponsive on start

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member
Is it just me or has the menus become super sluggish when you initially turn it on these days.
Sorts itself after a minute or so, but seems choppy, jumpy and unresponsive on start
Have you tried a Soft Reset??

on the Smart controller, hold down the power off button until the TV switches off and starts to reboot (about 5s) - This clears all the caches and makes things a lot more responsive...

Can anyone shed some light on why my ks8000 looks dimmer when watching hdr content from the sky q box than when watching normal hd content from the same source?
In the tv picture settings I am on movie mode with backlight set to 13, brightness at 40, contrast at 80 sharpness 40, colour 45, dynamic contrast at medium, colour tone standard, all other processing is off. When I watch gangs of lemur island as an example, the backlight and contrast max out, so it is recognising the hdr content, but to my eye the picture seems a bit darker! Is it me??

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member
Can anyone shed some light on why my ks8000 looks dimmer when watching hdr content from the sky q box than when watching normal hd content from the same source?
In the tv picture settings I am on movie mode with backlight set to 13, brightness at 40, contrast at 80 sharpness 40, colour 45, dynamic contrast at medium, colour tone standard, all other processing is off. When I watch gangs of lemur island as an example, the backlight and contrast max out, so it is recognising the hdr content, but to my eye the picture seems a bit darker! Is it me??
If your TV settings are the same, then its down to Skys own output settings or the app they are using. I have been waiting for SkyQ to contact me to get my upgraded SkyQ box

In all honesty, setting the backlight to 13 for normal SDR is excessively bright so the difference when HDR kicks in isn't going to be as impressive. If you set the Backlight to around 7-8, you are getting around 250nits peak brightness - more than enough for daytime viewing (let alone night/dark room) as the content is only mastered to 100-120nits anyway. Setting the backlight to 13 is MUCH brighter than any Non-HDR TV could reach before with Backlights on Maximum.

What you have to remember is that these TVs are HDR and that the Max peak Brightness reaches nearly 1500nits on Maximum. Setting the TV on 8 for example, is brighter than many SDR TV's were capable of and 13 is brighter than some HDR TV's can reach (particularly some of the early cheaper 'HDR' enabled TV's could reach) and nearly as bright as an OLED can get in its HDR mode.

I know 4 or 5 may seem LOW if you came from an SDR TV where you had it set on 13-15 before, BUT you have to remember that 0-20 before was 0-250/300nits with SDR and now you have a TV where 0-20 is 0-1500nits....

Thanks for the info - I think part of the problem is that until recently I had been watching everything with the tv in the HDR+ special viewing mode which rely bumps up the brightness and contrast.

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the info - I think part of the problem is that until recently I had been watching everything with the tv in the HDR+ special viewing mode which rely bumps up the brightness and contrast.
Yeah - fake HDR which also over saturates colours too so that will make proper HDR look a bit darker as well. You are blowing out some SDR detail by running it too high but I know the TV in SDR can seem 'dim' if you get used to HDR, fake or otherwise if you set the backlight properly

Domgears

Standard Member
Hello esteemed forumites,

As most of you are aware, Disney Plus wasn't working for a while on our sets but this has since been fixed and is now available again.

I have a KS8000, however, I have noticed that on the app it is only showing HD and not 4K or HDR, if I access via Sky + it does show 4K and HDR but the app in Sky + is appalling, the 4K HDR on SKY is worse than the HD in the direct app.

Has anybody else noticed this and does anybody know of a fix to get the app to show 4K HDR, I have uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times, much to the annoyance of SWMBO.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,

Dom

dazzasky

Hello esteemed forumites,

As most of you are aware, Disney Plus wasn't working for a while on our sets but this has since been fixed and is now available again.

I have a KS8000, however, I have noticed that on the app it is only showing HD and not 4K or HDR, if I access via Sky + it does show 4K and HDR but the app in Sky + is appalling, the 4K HDR on SKY is worse than the HD in the direct app.

Has anybody else noticed this and does anybody know of a fix to get the app to show 4K HDR, I have uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times, much to the annoyance of SWMBO.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,

Dom
Sky + doesn’t have apps nor does it do UHD.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett