Samsung KS9000\8000 Owners Thread Part 2

And I was responding about Physical media, not streamed content, thanks.

The initial point about Blue Planet was regarding the HLG version coming to iPlayer, not the Physical version. After being promised that our TV's will support HLG, the first time HLG is available, our TV's won't be getting the iPlayer update to view HLG content. A major disappointment for many here.

Whilst we 'could' buy the Bluray, assuming we already have a device to play it on, its an additional cost that should be unnecessary with a 4k HDR TV that is supposed to support HLG. I can't see BBC offering HLG content OTA so iPlayer is the most logical method of delivery.

Samsung's approach has been terrible - a TV that should have no issues with supporting the UHD and HLG iPlayer is not going to get it for reasons only known to Samsung. Its essentially confirmation that they have lied to us - saying the TV would support HLG and yet won't play HLG via iPlayer.

Because you don’t know how good an hdr picture is going to look until you spend time with the Tv. Also the Hd picture in a premium Samsung Tv is better than on an entry level. Believe me, I’ve been through an awful lot of TV’s in the last 3 years!
Some movies look good but anything with dark scenes in either SDR or HDR is not great -not something you expect from a high end TV, same applies to gaming, only good this TV has is game mode response, this TV cannot strike balance between brightness and details, I will wait for screen repair and see if it is faulty set or the algorithm same content on two other TVs look great)
Samsung support is terrible all they rely on is picture test, if screen wasn't coming apart they wouldn't have sent for repair

Last edited:
Em... I've had adverts start to pop up in the interface.. never happened before? I know that samsung were doing this in the US but has it only just been enabled in the UK?

There’s been ads for ages. I think they come and go.

Don’t think they should be there at all personally, but looks like we’re stuck with them.

There’s been ads for ages. I think they come and go.

Don’t think they should be there at all personally, but looks like we’re stuck with them.

Well they must be coming from a server and a server can be detected and blocked...

The initial point about Blue Planet was regarding the HLG version coming to iPlayer, not the Physical version. After being promised that our TV's will support HLG, the first time HLG is available, our TV's won't be getting the iPlayer update to view HLG content. A major disappointment for many here.

Whilst we 'could' buy the Bluray, assuming we already have a device to play it on, its an additional cost that should be unnecessary with a 4k HDR TV that is supposed to support HLG. I can't see BBC offering HLG content OTA so iPlayer is the most logical method of delivery.

Samsung's approach has been terrible - a TV that should have no issues with supporting the UHD and HLG iPlayer is not going to get it for reasons only known to Samsung. Its essentially confirmation that they have lied to us - saying the TV would support HLG and yet won't play HLG via iPlayer.
Samsung saving money, it costs money to implement changes and test, one more possibility is design flaws in HLG APIs requiring lot of rework to support iPlayer app

Samsung saving money, it costs money to implement changes and test, one more possibility is design flaws in HLG APIs requiring lot of rework to support iPlayer app
More likely Samsung are trying to sell their newer models by making their older ones not compatible with the latest tech.

Thanks for that! :)

I'm using a Mac. Do I just copy the .EXE file to my USB drive or do I need to do something to the file or drive first?

The USB drive should be formatted correctly and I already have some demo 4K HDR videos on it, which play on the TV.

Thanks.

On a Mac, change the end of the .exe file to .zip.

Unzip the file, pop it on the root folder of your usb stick and pop it in the telly......

Had mine done yesterday, took less than an hour from them knocking on the door.

They open it up for from the back and pull a of load of bits outs, get a new screen from a box and just screw all the old bits on to the back of the new screen, put the plastic cover back on and that’s it.

You don’t lose anything you’ve suck as picture settings account details etc

Awesome, not that I'm too worried about losing settings...
Screen shipped with a big un-cleanable mark right in the centre. Going to be thrilled to get rid of it. Its all I see when watching movies/gaming.

Will certainly make sure that I'm around to watch the fitting of the new panel!

More likely Samsung are trying to sell their newer models by making their older ones not compatible with the latest tech.
That's why the consumer always gets the rough end of the stick, technology always being changed every year, I bet our top of the range sets are only this for about 6 months before the manufacturers start feeding us with the next big thing and we the consumers are fooled into upgrading our TV's to keep up with the so called "new tech". We enthusiasts fall for it every time. I bet most consumers don't care about the difference between 1080 and 4k, HDR, UHD, etc, and they make up the biggest percentage of buyers.

It's not just TV's, it's phones, hi-fi, cars, we live in a "must have the latest" world, and begger the cost. Very sad.

Last edited:
Just got the new software update from the uk samsung support. Put it on the usb. Once its been installed on the tv do i need to unplug the tv so it does a hard reset?

That's why the consumer always gets the rough end of the stick, technology always being changed every year, I bet our top of the range sets are only this for about 6 months before the manufacturers start feeding us with the next big thing and we the consumers are fooled into upgrading our TV's to keep up with the so called "new tech". We enthusiasts fall for it every time. I bet most consumers don't care about the difference between 1080 and 4k, HDR, UHD, etc, and they make up the biggest percentage of buyers.

It's not just TV's, it's phones, hi-fi, cars, we live in a "must have the latest" world, and begger the cost. Very sad.
Of course, that's why im not surprised at all by this HLG stuff. We can complain until we're blue in the face but it's the same with all tech, that new £1000 product you bought 6months ago will be starting to becoming obsolete.

Just got the new software update from the uk samsung support. Put it on the usb. Once its been installed on the tv do i need to unplug the tv so it does a hard reset?

You should never need to do a 'Hard' reset for anything at least not for minor things like updates. At most a 'soft' reset is all that is required.

You should never need to do a 'Hard' reset for anything at least not for minor things like updates. At most a 'soft' reset is all that is required.
Just read some where in order for the update to go through its recomended to unplug the tv afterwards. So whats a soft reset?

Just read some where in order for the update to go through its recomended to unplug the tv afterwards. So whats a soft reset?

You don't need to do any thing after the firmware update, the tv will handle everything.

You can do a soft reset by keeping your finger on the remotes power button, it will reboot the tv.

A soft reset requires you to hold down the power off button on the Smart Remote (not the standard remote) for around 5secs. It will power off, perform a 'soft reset' and power back up showing the Samsung sUHD logo.

Its Never been necessary to unplug the TV to ensure the update goes through properly. I bet that was started because their TV needed to clear its Cache at around the same time (coincidence) as an update and they 'unplugged' it because they had NO idea how to perform a Soft Reset. Upon switching it back-on, it worked. Because of that, they 'recommend' you do it 'every' time but its really unnecessary.

It does 'work' because you are performing a Hard Reset, clearing any cache etc but its not necessary - It would work 99.99% of the time if you never perform a reset - 100% of the time if you regularly perform a soft reset - depending on how much you use Apps etc - and 100% of the time if you were to perform a Soft reset after an update - whether you need to or not.

Its like saying I hit it with a hammer and it worked so I recommend you do that everytime too because it worked for me.

Just had my tv repaired. Different set of fellas, nowhere near as good. Finger prints on the screen, marks and oil stains here and there. I wasn' here for the last but me old dear said they had gloves on and the lot. Within an hour the back panel that was previously fixed has now separated again. I've had enough! The screen would've been perfect if it wasnt for the marks. Refused a future repair and it's now been escalated to head office. They said they could give me a replacement but I'm out of sync in what sets are better so I've asked for a refund.
IMG_20171229_151513.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171229_151218.jpg
    IMG_20171229_151218.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 58
A soft reset requires you to hold down the power off button on the Smart Remote (not the standard remote) for around 5secs. It will power off, perform a 'soft reset' and power back up showing the Samsung sUHD logo.

Its Never been necessary to unplug the TV to ensure the update goes through properly. I bet that was started because their TV needed to clear its Cache at around the same time (coincidence) as an update and they 'unplugged' it because they had NO idea how to perform a Soft Reset. Upon switching it back-on, it worked. Because of that, they 'recommend' you do it 'every' time but its really unnecessary.

It does 'work' because you are performing a Hard Reset, clearing any cache etc but its not necessary - It would work 99.99% of the time if you never perform a reset - 100% of the time if you regularly perform a soft reset - depending on how much you use Apps etc - and 100% of the time if you were to perform a Soft reset after an update - whether you need to or not.

Its like saying I hit it with a hammer and it worked so I recommend you do that everytime too because it worked for me.
Cheers for the advice. What update are you currently on?

Cheers for the advice. What update are you currently on?

Currently on 1201 as I can't be bothered to download, unzip and install 1208 from the website - especially as it seems it adds 'nothing' that I want/need. The only 'App' I ever use is youtube and use that rarely - just for the odd HDR video and very occasionally for a 4k video. My laptop gives me up to 1440p youtube - but most of the content I watch is not worth watching on my TV.

1201 hasn't affected my ability to access youtube at the level I want, doesn't interfere with my gaming or SkyQ and 1208 doesn't seem to do anything that would be of benefit. Therefore I am happy to keep with 1201 until it is updated automatically.

If 1208 for example was required to use the iPlayer app to access 4k HLG version of Blue Planet 2, I would bother. Don't know if I would bother if it was needed for 4k as I can use SkyQ for that.

Hi Guys, new to this forum. I own the 55KS8000 UK version and am on firmware 1208 which downloaded via the TV about 3 weeks ago But just seen this Youtube video by this guy from the US who claims he's on 1209 which supports HDR 10+ is this true?

Not sure how you're on 1208 by the TV as don't think anyone else is.
But apparently we aint getting HDR10+ over here

Hi Guys, new to this forum. I own the 55KS8000 UK version and am on firmware 1208 which downloaded via the TV about 3 weeks ago But just seen this Youtube video by this guy from the US who claims he's on 1209 which supports HDR 10+ is this true?
UK isn't getting HDR10+ on Amazon.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom