Samsung KS8000 Settings Thread

LazyDonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Having recently purchased a 49KS8000 I started to read the Owners thread looking for the best settings and advise. It's brilliant, but you do tend to end up getting lost amongst lots of repeated negative views.
Taking the lead from PuntNL's thread on the KS7000, I thought it would be good to set up a separate KS8000 thread just for settings and tips. No negative opinions about the TV (those can remain in the Owners thread), just recommended best current settings.
I'm happy to edit and add settings to the first post to keep everything in one place. Feel free to post your best set up tips below - including cleaning tips, apps, functionality, how to reset, reduce screen issues etc....
Hopefully this will help a few other new owners and enable us to fully enjoy the TV :thumbsup:

Reviews (for info)

Settings

Gaming
Sound
  • TBA
Apps
  • TBA
Tips & Tricks
  • 4K UHD Demos to download - HERE

Last edited:
Nice one LazyDonkey.
I have been confused since getting my KS8000 55" recently.
I found two different settings from AVForums which is confusing in itself, the one above and this one.

I am looking forward to watching Moto GP and other motorcycle racing formulas but I want clear and not blurred action so hopefully someone will be able to pass on their recommendations.
There are lots of other videos on settings on YouTube but knowing which one to use is more difficult than it would seem.

I don't understand why you set brighter settings for the day using Standard mode when it is already brighter in the day for instance.

Last edited:
When it's brighter in the room the screen needs to be brighter or the screen can appear dim... Opposite in a darker room which is why some people have a dimmer set of settings for nighttime viewing .. screen can look over bright / washed out in a dark room.

Thanks David.
All the different settings are confusing me and I just want to know what I'm doing and get good settings for upcoming Moto GP

No probs, would guess standard or movie mode with motion plus set to clear would give you a good starting point ...then tweak to your liking

It would be nice if owners actually started posting there settings !!!!

Well today I've spent 5 hours with the 55"KS8000 and picture settings.

Really weird but i kind a like HDR+ enabled (i know you get a slightly softer picture) and upping the sharpness a tad. I have also dived into the 2 point and 10 point settings to try and get a deeper more vivid calibration.

Im not using any calibration tools just adjusting and trying as most folk on here don't have tools to calibrate there own TVs with !!

Im trying to use as much source material as i can ranging from UHD BR via the Samsung UHD player, SkyQ mini (as this TV is in my bedroom) with 1080P output and HD Freeview from a satellite dish, i will have a new Nvidia Shield 4K HDR media player later this week to also add.

Im also trying my hardest to keep the black bars top and bottom of the screen as black as i can during 16.9 film related material (this is hard !!)

So far so good though as I'm quite impressed with how it all looks. Ive got some more small adjustments to keep tweaking and see how that goes but ill let you know some settings when i feel I'm almost at the point of breaking its back so to speak.

Well today I've spent 5 hours with the 55"KS8000 and picture settings.

Really weird but i kind a like HDR+ enabled (i know you get a slightly softer picture) and upping the sharpness a tad. I have also dived into the 2 point and 10 point settings to try and get a deeper more vivid calibration.

Im not using any calibration tools just adjusting and trying as most folk on here don't have tools to calibrate there own TVs with !!

Im trying to use as much source material as i can ranging from UHD BR via the Samsung UHD player, SkyQ mini (as this TV is in my bedroom) with 1080P output and HD Freeview from a satellite dish, i will have a new Nvidia Shield 4K HDR media player later this week to also add.

Im also trying my hardest to keep the black bars top and bottom of the screen as black as i can during 16.9 film related material (this is hard !!)

So far so good though as I'm quite impressed with how it all looks. Ive got some more small adjustments to keep tweaking and see how that goes but ill let you know some settings when i feel I'm almost at the point of breaking its back so to speak.

I'd strongly advise leaving the 10pt settings alone, unless you know what you are doing, you can mess up your picture completely.

Mr experience with HDR+ - I turned it on once and vowed never to turn it on again. It's horrendous IMO

I'd strongly advise leaving the 10pt settings alone, unless you know what you are doing, you can mess up your picture completely.

Mr experience with HDR+ - I turned it on once and vowed never to turn it on again. It's horrendous IMO
Well the reset button is your friend if you don't get anywhere with the 10 point settings..........

As for HDR+ it works with some viewing material and not so good with other material.
What might look 'horrendous' to you may look good for someone else, everybody eyes are different and some peoples eyes are fantastic and some peoples have deteriorated.
Getting the best out of the settings also depends on the environment where the TV is sited. Wall colours, lighting, curtains, natural light all play a part in how the screen looks.

Im just trying to find a happy medium with the settings that look good across the board with general viewing. It could be Eastenders one evening followed by Football or Planet Earth followed by Only Fools N Horses, i just don't want to keep changing settings to suit each program i decide to watch.

Im also trying Dynamic, Standard, Movie etc etc trying to see what pans out the best for me.

I have the 49" KS8000, presume settings for one will work for another?

Does my head in changing settings all the time, I can just about be bothered to enable Game mode when required!

I would be very interested in some catch all settings. My inputs are PS4 Pro, Xbox 1 S and BT 4K YouView box.

One deviation I have made from most other people's settings is using Warm 1 instead of Warm 2. Didn't like the tint on the latter and couldn't correct it with the tint control.

Personally I use Standard as opposed to warm 1 or 2 as the Warm settings add to much of a tint for my liking. Apart from that, I use the 'Movie' settings for SkyQ on HDMI 1 but tweaked the colour settings a bit to match my panel. My Backlight is on 3-5 depending on lighting conditions in my room - 3 when pitch black, 4 for winter day time and 5 in the summer day time. I don't watch with the curtains open so this is sufficient for my conditions.

I also have a PS4 Pro in HDMI 2 and a XB1s on HDMI 3. These are always on Game mode as I only use these for gaming. I use HDMI 4 for ARC to my Home Theatre.

Hi guys could someone please advise on the best connection set up for my ks 8000
I have a yamaha rvx 581 receiver with full 4k pass through and hdmi 2.2 support
How would connect sky Q and xbox one 's and 4k blu ray player sorry I'm a bit of a noon but willing to learn lol
Thanks in advance

Hi guys could someone please advise on the best connection set up for my ks 8000
I have a yamaha rvx 581 receiver with full 4k pass through and hdmi 2.2 support
How would connect sky Q and xbox one 's and 4k blu ray player sorry I'm a bit of a noon but willing to learn lol
Thanks in advance

There are two main methods open to you. First you can connect the three devices straight into the OCB (One Connect Box that's connected to the TV) and then connect the Amp to the TV via the ARC channel for Sound. Alternatively, you can connect all three devices to the Amp and then plug the Amp to the ARC HDMI on the OCB.

The advantage of connecting the devices directly to the OCB, rather than passing through the Amp, is that you can custom the Picture settings to each device. If you only game on your Xbox, that means you can set it up in game mode and just leave it with the settings you prefer. Every time you come to play, its always the same settings. The 'disadvantage' is that you won't get 'lossless' sound this way but you do get a very good 5.1 sound quality. If you are an Audiophile though, its not the 'best' sound quality.

Connecting through the Amp though means you would need to adjust settings for each device - going from SkyQ to XB1 to game would necessitate you going in and switching on game mode and turning it off when you go back to SkyQ or Bluray watching. The advantage though is that you do get the 'best' sound and if your set-up is 'better' than 5.1 (like DTS-X, Dolby Atmos etc), you also get this 'quality' if available. SkyQ is only 5.1 anyway currently. The XB1s can have Atmos, DTS-X (not sure if this is with UHD Blurays only or not) and not sure if the original XB1 can deliver better than 5.1 sound either.

You can of course mix things up if you want - have the bluray player and SkyQ plugged into the Amp to get the 'best' sound and plug the XB1 into the OCB to keep it in game mode without having to keep jumping into the menus to switch on/off game mode. As long as the Amp is connected to the OCB via the ARC HDMI, you can still get 5.1 surround sound in games. Sky and the Bluray player, I assume, would have similar Picture settings. Unless you use Standard for Sky and Movie for Bluray (for example)

Point is though, that there isn't a 'best' way to set-up. Each has its 'pro's and cons'. If sound is most important - especially if you have a greater than 5.1 set-up, plug devices into the Amp and the Amp into the Arc. If having to keep switching between modes or adjusting picture settings every time you switch devices and the sound quality isn't that important (most people can't hear the difference as the areas that are 'lost' are outside the average person's hearing range) then plug into the OCB and use the ARC channel for sound to the Amp. Like I said, you can also have some devices going into the Amp and some direct to the TV too.

Its up to you and your own preference. For me, I prefer to have more control over my devices and their individual Picture Settings and therefore all my devices go direct to the OCB with my Home Theatre (only a 5.1 system) connected via ARC for sound. Sound Quality is 'decent' enough and more than adequate for my needs. I live in a quiet area and neighbours very close so don't need or want to turn my volume up so don't notice any significant differences anyway.

There are two main methods open to you. First you can connect the three devices straight into the OCB (One Connect Box that's connected to the TV) and then connect the Amp to the TV via the ARC channel for Sound. Alternatively, you can connect all three devices to the Amp and then plug the Amp to the ARC HDMI on the OCB.

The advantage of connecting the devices directly to the OCB, rather than passing through the Amp, is that you can custom the Picture settings to each device. If you only game on your Xbox, that means you can set it up in game mode and just leave it with the settings you prefer. Every time you come to play, its always the same settings. The 'disadvantage' is that you won't get 'lossless' sound this way but you do get a very good 5.1 sound quality. If you are an Audiophile though, its not the 'best' sound quality.

Connecting through the Amp though means you would need to adjust settings for each device - going from SkyQ to XB1 to game would necessitate you going in and switching on game mode and turning it off when you go back to SkyQ or Bluray watching. The advantage though is that you do get the 'best' sound and if your set-up is 'better' than 5.1 (like DTS-X, Dolby Atmos etc), you also get this 'quality' if available. SkyQ is only 5.1 anyway currently. The XB1s can have Atmos, DTS-X (not sure if this is with UHD Blurays only or not) and not sure if the original XB1 can deliver better than 5.1 sound either.

You can of course mix things up if you want - have the bluray player and SkyQ plugged into the Amp to get the 'best' sound and plug the XB1 into the OCB to keep it in game mode without having to keep jumping into the menus to switch on/off game mode. As long as the Amp is connected to the OCB via the ARC HDMI, you can still get 5.1 surround sound in games. Sky and the Bluray player, I assume, would have similar Picture settings. Unless you use Standard for Sky and Movie for Bluray (for example)

Point is though, that there isn't a 'best' way to set-up. Each has its 'pro's and cons'. If sound is most important - especially if you have a greater than 5.1 set-up, plug devices into the Amp and the Amp into the Arc. If having to keep switching between modes or adjusting picture settings every time you switch devices and the sound quality isn't that important (most people can't hear the difference as the areas that are 'lost' are outside the average person's hearing range) then plug into the OCB and use the ARC channel for sound to the Amp. Like I said, you can also have some devices going into the Amp and some direct to the TV too.

Its up to you and your own preference. For me, I prefer to have more control over my devices and their individual Picture Settings and therefore all my devices go direct to the OCB with my Home Theatre (only a 5.1 system) connected via ARC for sound. Sound Quality is 'decent' enough and more than adequate for my needs. I live in a quiet area and neighbours very close so don't need or want to turn my volume up so don't notice any significant differences anyway.
Thank you very much that is a massive help
And gives me some options I didn't realise
Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom