Samsung KS7000 Vs Sony XD85

AshDavis3

Standard Member
Reaction score
I was set on the Samsung after reading countless great reviews of it but after taking a look in store, they were telling me the Sony XD85 is superior. It's the same price but apparently it has better upscaling and darker blacks and overall contrast looks better.

I can't find many reviews on the Sony nor any side by side revoess. only this:

Comparison between: 54.6" Samsung UE55KS7000, 54.6" Sony KD-55XD8505

Any advice

Curry's by any chance ? , The Samsung is far better for the reasons they mentioned the Sony is ....

Terrible advice! The Sony uses an IPS panel whilst the Samsung a VA. That alone tells you the Samsung has higher contrast and deeper blacks. So why they try and sell the Sony? Who knows. Misinformed or they are trying to budge stock.

Terrible advice! The Sony uses an IPS panel whilst the Samsung a VA. That alone tells you the Samsung has higher contrast and deeper blacks. So why they try and sell the Sony? Who knows. Misinformed or they are trying to budge stock.

Thanks very much. I'll keep with the Sammy in that case. Love forums like this :)

Now to decide whether to get 55 or 65"

Thanks very much. I'll keep with the Sammy in that case. Love forums like this :)

Now to decide whether to get 55 or 65"
Man up and get the 65" , I wish I had now [emoji26] , never mind , 3 year cycle for me and I will go for it next time !!!

I was just in Curry's looking at the KS7000 and the salesman was pushing the XD85 Sony for the reasons mentioned above.

Glad I checked the forums. I think I will order the Samsung.

I was just in Curry's looking at the KS7000 and the salesman was pushing the XD85 Sony for the reasons mentioned above.

Glad I checked the forums. I think I will order the Samsung.

They must tell them to push certain models. Maybe they do deals with the manufacturers.

Puts me off ever wanting to buy anything from them knowing they would give biased advice that isn't true

I'm going to order it online as there is 10% cash back with Quidco and you can get the Samsung UHD Blu Ray player with £155 off. Result

I'm going to order it online as there is 10% cash back with Quidco and you can get the Samsung UHD Blu Ray player with £155 off. Result

Oh nice, thanks. I'll do the same, never heard of quidco

If I recall correctly. You can get the ks7000 in 60"

So a sweet spot inbetween maybe.

Currys must be second only to PC World for their sheer ineptitude when it comes to consumer product advice. Thing is, you can all but guarantee the donut who told you this actually believed it... he's just repeating what he's been told by his boss in order shift more of the Sony. They must hire morons on purpose. If I sold TV's for a living I'd be online every day checking customer feedback for all new models and know the specs inside out.

From where? Curry's has it for £999 (like most places) but it's only 1.5% back, so £15. You found a better deal?

haha the exact same thing happened to me during the week. My only concern with the KS7000 is the back panel peeling issue. The 60 inch model in store was fine but the 55 inch had some peeling. Should this be a concern?

Well I mean I couldn't see a more solid reason to return a TV if it's back is peeling off so if it does, then you can return it. Just make sure you get a decent warranty. Curry's offer a 5 year warranty but if you are concerned about after sales Currys is always a risk. Just because there customer service is tosh.

Now a warranty is a warranty but I've heard cases of Currys arguing with customers about what is regarded as a fault on their TV. I don't know details and who knows the customer may have been picky but knowing their reputation, understand that you are much better off purchasing elsewhere. Stores like richer sounds and John Lewis may even price match and are a much safer bet.

I'm based in Dublin so will probably order from Richer Sound in Belfast where I can avail of the cheaper UK prices and better warranty. Fingers crossed the price will drop in the BF sales and I get a unit without any issues. What's your opinion on the DX750B? Is it worth considering for the better build quality at the sacrifice of the HDR performance?

It depends how much you value HDR. The Panasonic DX-750 is close to as good as the Samsung in other areas. So for SDR it's worth considering.

I'm not sure if the Panasonic TVs are built better than the Samsung's. All we know on here is one or two people have complained or seen the backs come loose in stores? Maybe that's because the Samsung's are more popular, because more are sold? Overall failure rates of TVs rank Samsung only 1% worse than other brands. That's an insignificance not worth thinking about IMO. Just have to make sure you get a good warranty from a reputable store.

I think in general there doesn't seem to be too much of a difference in build quality between Panasonic and Samsung TV's but from reading a number of KS7000 user reviews and owner forums the KS7000 does seem to have a serious issue with the back panel. Most of these users seem to be happy to overlook this issue because of what the KS7000 offers in performance vs price but I think it is still something to consider from people looking to buy it. Personally, I need to ask myself whether I want the potential hassle of needing to return a TV over the Christmas period or if I can sacrifice HDR performance for a little peace of mind.

To make the decision even more difficult, I just noticed that Steve has recently reviewed the Hisense M7000 (Hisense H65M7000 4K UHD TV Review) and recommends it as another Best Buy.

You can also look at it like this.

Samsung sell more than Sony
More TVs sold=more likely you'll see someone post on a forum with a problem.

More Samsung TVs are sold and about 90% or more of their sales will be customers who are happy and never feel the need to visit a forum.

That's why you just can't believe user reviews. You don't even know if they have it securely mounted or if they have even damaged it during shipping/installation.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom