Samsung J3 (2017): customising the messages display

Bert Coules

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've searched around for information on this but not found anything useful so I'd be grateful fior any thoughts.

After using a venerable Samsung Sll for many years I've now replaced it with a J3. I'm surprised to discover that in some respects my old phone was much more customisable: there were options for changing the display style of text messages, for example, which the newer model doesn't have.

Apart from using a saved image, is there a way of altering the messaging background beyond the tiny number of frankly unimpressive options provided by the J3? And can I alter the shape and colours of the text bubbles?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Probably not on the built in text app, but you can download a different one, some free, some relatively cheap and they let you customise everything, layout, background, font, size, colours. It's one of the things I miss about being back on iPhone, but when my upgrade is due I'm going back to Android for a while.

Thanks very much for that. I'll have a look through what's available, but is there any particular app that you'd recommend?

The J range of phones is lower down the Samsung pecking order than the S range, so reduced features is common even though it's a newer phone. There's endless messaging apps out the & it's largely going to be a case of trial & error until you find one you like.

Here's a few suggestions:

Best Text Messaging Apps for Android

Last edited:
Many thanks for that link: I'll take a look.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom