Samsung is baffling consumers by sending modified units to review and different units for sale!

Pheeux

Novice Member
Reaction score
View this:

We have to be very careful about what we are going to buy this year because it seems that Samsung is selecting the TVs that sends for analysis/review and placing others with lower parameters for sale.

After the marketing of rebranding SUHD LCDs to Qled (that is no more than a maneuver to shuffle consumers looking for OLED), they are sending TVs with higher brightness peak to review and lower brightness to sale.
I am very disappointed with these behind-the-scenes maneuvers from Samsung. After trying to fool consumers with aggressive marketing, they are trying to fool again with models they send for analysis, too. Consumers deserve to know the truth, so Rtings did the thing right. Hope AVForums do the same and review the models that are for sale and not those that Samsung sends for review.

Somehow i do not think samsung are the only ones doing this, its just that they have been caught out. Well done to rtings for calling them out on this one, i am not sure other reviewing websites would do the same, the fact that rtings actually buy their tvs for review, and do not rely on manufacturers to supply the units, this really does show them as a premium review site.

Their is a lot of people who rely on professional reviewers to inform them on their buying choices, i was one of them, i bought my panasonic 65dx902 mainly on the review of avforums, and after not being too impressed with my tv at first, i am glad to say i found the settings that suit me, i am glad i kept it as it is an impressive picture, sad to say i was too lazy to drive the thirty miles to my nearest currys to see this tv in action, so i relied on prof reviews to inform my choice.

I have said this before on this forum, and i hope avforums take notice, please do not rely on manufacturers to send you tvs to review. In my opinion tvs up for review should be bought either online or the shops, and if possible, two units should be bought, one on release of the new model, and one six months down the line, to make sure their is no downgrade of product, which i am sad to say, would not surprise me if their was.

Yes I agree, also if they are sent review models, if they give terrible reviews they probably won't get more review models sent to them, the review models are probably cherry picked, overall the review is not going to be as accurate.

Somehow i do not think samsung are the only ones doing this, its just that they have been caught out. Well done to rtings for calling them out on this one, i am not sure other reviewing websites would do the same, the fact that rtings actually buy their tvs for review, and do not rely on manufacturers to supply the units, this really does show them as a premium review site.

Their is a lot of people who rely on professional reviewers to inform them on their buying choices, i was one of them, i bought my panasonic 65dx902 mainly on the review of avforums, and after not being too impressed with my tv at first, i am glad to say i found the settings that suit me, i am glad i kept it as it is an impressive picture, sad to say i was too lazy to drive the thirty miles to my nearest currys to see this tv in action, so i relied on prof reviews to inform my choice.

I have said this before on this forum, and i hope avforums take notice, please do not rely on manufacturers to send you tvs to review. In my opinion tvs up for review should be bought either online or the shops, and if possible, two units should be bought, one on release of the new model, and one six months down the line, to make sure their is no downgrade of product, which i am sad to say, would not surprise me if their was.

I'm totally in agreement with you. I would like to see more reviewers to buy TVs for review instead of receiving the TVs chosen by the manufacturers.

I wonder if Steve will buy the TV to review or will receive the TV by Samsung.

I do not blame any prof reviewer for reviewing any particular model of tv, even if it was supplied by the manufacturer, they can only give an honest review of what is put in front of them. I am nearly one hundred per cent certain that tvs sent in to prof reviewers are cherry picked for optimal ratings, that is the only reason that i am now starting to take these reviews with a pinch of salt, maybe it is a good thing, because i will never buy a tv again solely based on a prof reviewers opinions anymore, and i guess the reviewers would say the same, always try to see the tv in the flesh before buying.

This is really nonsense. One incident and Rtings is immediately the premium review site :D. They are not even the only one who review store models :rolleyes: and on top of that their uniformity shots tend to be on the well performing side (hardly different than shots taken by other reviews from so called cherry picked sets).
And would Samsung actually go over there to test the models if they already knew they were not up to spec only for Rtings to be able to say: "we were right and Samsung is a fraud" .
This is a wait and see situation until more reviews come out that are able to replicate the findings ... (where are the other QLED reviews anyway with superunits have that outperform the store models?)

Last edited:
Read the reviews, then check the forums for known issues that seem to be plaguing most owners, then make your mind up if the TV is for you.

That's what I do and I've never had any surprises when I get a new TV home.

Guys a fair amount of reviewing sites have so-called relations with big tv manufacturers, they do get their test models for free after all. We do not know what goes on behind the scenes when prof reviewers come to a different conclusion than the tv companies claims about their new models.

Just because samsung are going over to rtings to test their conclusions does not give them credit for being quick of the ball, it just means they cant let this situation go on any longer, they have to do something, quite frankly this years models from samsung are over hyped nonsense trying to keep up with lg. It would not surprise me if samsung brought over a couple of their own tvs for rtings to test, and then to say that the store bought ones were faulty in some way, maybe transportation knocked them about a bit, i like everyone am only commenting on what i have seen and heard through sites like this, I never heard of rtings until about a year ago, and i quite enjoy their reviews just like avforums reviews.

First and foremost i want reviewers to be honest with what they find on their test models, maybe all this has happened before but different reviewing sites might just email the manufacturers back and forth about their findings before telling the buying public about what they find, and we never know about it, At least they had the balls to put it out their so we can decide what we think about it.

I would like to see added to each review if the manufacturer let the the review site keep the TV afterwards, i have a blogger friend who shant be named but he/she is often allowed to keep reviewed items and funnily enough after some negative reviews were posted some companies no longer send stuff or if they do they aren't allowed to keep it.

I guess when you get something for free to review, you will have a tendency to point out the positives and play down the negatives with the phrase, a future software update should fix that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom