Samsung introduces a Dual Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocDVD

Established Member
Reaction score
Seems like Samsung ist building a Dual Format player that supports both formats with all features:
Link

Sounds way better than the half-baked LG player that does not even support all mandatory features of HD DVD.

Still, the problem remains that you have one regionless format and one regioncoded format in the same player (not counting standard DVD) - would be interesting to see which disc would sell better then...
:D

"As a member of the DVD Forum and contributor to the DVD Industry, we recognize that both HD-DVD and BD formats have merits. As such, we have decided to market a dual format player. Samsung is flexible to market a stand-alone HD-DVD player whenever consumers demand it."

This will sell well. Another one jumps the ship...why didn't I see this coming ;)

just a quickie then - it saves me researching.... who were samsung and LG originally backing?

:clap: This has to start stirring things up a bit amongst the other manufacturers...

just a quickie then - it saves me researching.... who were samsung and LG originally backing?

Well I'm not sure if Samsung ever stated that they would never release a HD-DVD player, but they did release the first BR player, and have always supported BR, so a Dual format player as well as stating they will release a HD-DVD only player if there is demand, is a very strong political message if not a massive change of position...

BTW, LG were the same I believe, never said they wouldn't but were backing BR

surely this makes it *less* likely studios will go neutral? If more and more manufacturers go dual format then Universal can just stick with making HDDVD only releases, as a growing overall proportion of the HD owners will be able to play it. Same with Fox etc on the bluray side

To me, this makes things confusing for the studios that are neutral. If dual format takes off, then why bother mastering two different releases? Eventually single format players will become a small percentage of overall players so this could actually sway neutral content providers to go to one format.

If I recall right, it was Samsung who first announced a dual format player sometime early 2006. But then they suddenly fell silent on that with rumours that some prominent BD backer politically exerciised some clout to prevail over that move.

hoorah !!!
the war is over at last then,
as long as the sammy dual player hits the shops at under £200 of course.:clap:

Samsung released the first Blu Ray player, LG I think were originally going to release a Blu Ray only player, but then released a dual player (although it's doesn't support all of the HD DVD features).

surely this makes it *less* likely studios will go neutral?

Perhaps in the short term if other manufacturers follow, Although it also makes it far less important which studios release in which formats. :D It'll be more important which discs have which features etc, so hopefully it'll push those along and worries about what colour the disc is will be long forgotten. :eek:

To me, this makes things confusing for the studios that are neutral. If dual format takes off, then why bother mastering two different releases?

Agreed - surely then it will then come down to production costs - whichever is the cheaper version to get to market?

Interestingly if BR Java (or whatever it is exactly :D ) is finalised in October, and we see new BR releases utilising these features around then. All those people who bought early BR players, and want to upgrade will have the choice between a BR only player or a Dual format player....... :rolleyes: Great timing by Samsung, looks like they want back what they lost from the inital BR PQ fiasco. :D

One more potential thought...
For the general public, why would most ever choose a standalone player over the PS3? After all, it's cheaper than the RRP of any of the standalones, is just as fast in operation, the same video quality (according to what I've read on here), outputs HDMI1.3 so supports the correct sound outputs and you get a free leading edge games machine thrown in.

So maybe this is Samsung admitting that Sony is probably going to clean up in the BD market with the PS3. The only thing the PS3 doesn't do, is also play HD-DVD disks. As such, Sammy suddenly have a USP over the PS3. Makes sense to me.

Multichannel analogue outputs are a very desirable feature to many and the reason they have gone stand alone as is the 'conventional shape'.

hoorah !!!
the war is over at last then,
as long as the sammy dual player hits the shops at under £200 of course.:clap:

Think more like £800 and in November in the US, thats along way away.

surely then it will then come down to production costs - whichever is the cheaper version to get to market?

That will be HD DVD disks then.

could anyone post the rumours about specs please? Nov delivery sound great as we will get a new profile.

surely this makes it *less* likely studios will go neutral? If more and more manufacturers go dual format then Universal can just stick with making HDDVD only releases, as a growing overall proportion of the HD owners will be able to play it. Same with Fox etc on the bluray side

To me, this makes things confusing for the studios that are neutral. If dual format takes off, then why bother mastering two different releases? Eventually single format players will become a small percentage of overall players so this could actually sway neutral content providers to go to one format.

If mass adoption of dual format takes place then there will be little or no point in neutral studios mastering two versions. I think, purely on the basis of cost to the distributer, they will end up being predominantly HD DVD with Blu Ray versions of the most popular titles. Of course, it will take dual format sales to seriously outnumber Blu Ray for that to happen and I don't think we are going to be in that situation anytime soon.

Will be interesting to see what sony does in the next couple of months.......I am sure this announcement has caught their attention and I am sure it will worry them, if only a little bit.

The PS3 isn't selling like they expected and that was a big card for them in the HD format war. Now they have this to deal with as well....

Will they carry on unfaltering or start slashing prices?

Overall I think this is a good move, but for me having 2 x A1s and 2 x PS3's (US models) it wont mean much.

But more competition in terms of HD-DVD capable players is a good thing as I'm not terribly impressed with Toshiba.

I'm not sure the general public will ever accept any games console as a mainstream standalone player, no matter how good it is. Time will tell I guess.

I agree with your second point - currently the PS3 has left little room in the standalone BD player market.

I'd agree with both those points. It is going to be very interesting going forward; November is great timing as well, hopefully that is a global release date?

what will be just as interesting are the price of movies going to come crashing down ?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom