Samsung HW-S60A Soundbar Review & Comments

steve33shoreham

Would love a comparison with this against the Denon Home 550, but reviews seem to be lacking on the Denon.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Would love a comparison with this against the Denon Home 550, but reviews seem to be lacking on the Denon.
I've been trying to get a review sample of the Denon 550 for months, so I'm glad it's not just me!

socom23

How does this compare to the Sonos Arc?

steve33shoreham

I've been trying to get a review sample of the Denon 550 for months, so I'm glad it's not just me!

I have one, and have and have a well documented opinion on the Denon 500 thread. But it would be nice if there were reviews on the 550 out there, as reviewers have experience with the competition and can give their comparative opinions.

It appears the advantage this Samsung has over the Denon, is that the lack of bass and surrounds can be addressed with the addition of a wireless sub and surrounds, but the Denon is still lacking in this function even though it was advertised as coming soon at launch.

socom23

I don't know because I haven't reviewed the Sonos Arc.

Should get one in, a few might like to hear your opinion on it being a soundbar expert and as its so popular.

mike7

Distinguished Member
I was in the market for a soundbar as I was pensioning off my surround system so I auditioned this. It was on a demo display with a Samsung Frame. I was sorry to find the performance was more than disappointing with a noticeable lack of much in the bass department. I've always been a bit suspicious about the 'surround' radiating tricks of soundbars. They may work well in a uniformly shaped room, which mine isn't. The 'bells and whistles' features of this bar might appeal to some, but I'd rather put my money in a core of good quality sound. I Iistened to similarly priced items, some of which were frankly awful. Although their aim is to, at the very least, sound better than the TVs they accompany I eventually settled for a Sonos Beam.

Last edited:

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
I was in the market for a soundbar as I was pensioning off my surround system so I auditioned this. It was on a demo display with a Samsung Frame. I was sorry to find the performance was more than disappointing with a noticeable lack of much in the bass department. I've always been a bit suspicious about the 'surround' radiating tricks of soundbars. They may work well in a uniformly shaped room, which mine isn't. The 'bells and whistles' features of this bar might appeal to some, but I'd rather put my money in a core of good quality sound. I Iistened to similarly priced items, some of which were frankly awful. Although their aim is to, at the very least, sound better than the TVs they accompany I eventually settled for a Sonos Beam.
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of music did you play during the audition, and what was the source?

mike7

Distinguished Member
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of music did you play during the audition, and what was the source?
It was on a special Samsung display stand combined with a Frame. There were demo buttons incorporated on the display which triggered the operation of the soundbar with various music samples. A tweet I have had from Samsung indicates that the white version is being bundled free with certain Frame TVs.

Incidentally, reference to the review, although the Beam does not have a Bluetooth connection you can easily play tracks from another source, ie my phone, as long as they are on the same network. Shame the Beam does not have a remote though.

Last edited:

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
Incidentally, reference to the review, although the Beam does not have a Bluetooth connection you can easily play tracks from another source, ie my phone, as long as they are on the same network. Shame the Beam does not have a remote though.
I was rather curious if you had a chance to test it with your own music. As everyone has their own taste, one test might have totally different conclusions than the other (but both can be valuable, though). Nonetheless, I'm thankful for your mini-review.

mike7

Distinguished Member
I was rather curious if you had a chance to test it with your own music. As everyone has their own taste, one test might have totally different conclusions than the other (but both can be valuable, though). Nonetheless, I'm thankful for your mini-review.
Quite agree. A large open store (Hughes) is hardly the best situation to audition. I guess the price wlll drop later in the year especially as Samsung are discounting it for Frame purchasers. Might be worth waiting a while.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
@mike4444 I think you are right. Unless I am mistaken, it seems that HW-S60A supports Dolby Digital and DTS, but not Dolby Digital Plus.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom