Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review & Comments

the thing is your eyes should be level with the centre of your screen . you cant do both so soundbar as near as poss to screen bottom is my set up option

the thing is your eyes should be level with the centre of your screen . you cant do both so soundbar as near as poss to screen bottom is my set up option
How well does that work for you immersion wise both from the surround channels and height channels built in to the soundbar?

How well does that work for you immersion wise both from the surround channels and height channels built in to the soundbar?
Its fine.as said its supposed to sit under your tv anyway.also if you have a Samsung qled tv you can add the tv speakers into the mix as well

Its fine.as said its supposed to sit under your tv anyway.also if you have a Samsung qled tv you can add the tv speakers into the mix as well
I don't have a Samsung TV. In my setup, the soundbar would be close to the bottom of the TV, and would be about 53cm from the ground. Do you think that would work well enough for the Dolby Atmos immersion?

If I bought one of these soundbars from somewhere like Currys, am I able to try it at home and then return if I don't like it?

i have the n950 and imo it works great

What's the best way for me to get a home demo of this soundbar - order online and then return within 14 days if I don't like it.

What's the best way for me to get a home demo of this soundbar - order online and then return within 14 days if I don't like it.
That's what few people do .not sure how it works though.i think you will find it's fine ,for your set up .

Is there a recommended distance you need to sit from the soundbar in order to optimize the surround and height speakers effect?

Is there a recommended distance you need to sit from the soundbar in order to optimize the surround and height speakers effect?
a rule of thumb for me is as near centre of front and rear with the rears the same distance from my seating postion

I'm looking to purchase this to replace my Samsung HK N950 which I'm extremely happy with.

My sounder is wall mounted on a chimney breast with the Sub to the left of chimney would this impact sound performance on the Q950T? (apologies if this sounds a ridiculous question)

Also will it fit straight onto the wall mounts already attached to mount my N950?

appreciate any help!!

I'm looking to purchase this to replace my Samsung HK N950 which I'm extremely happy with.

My sounder is wall mounted on a chimney breast with the Sub to the left of chimney would this impact sound performance on the Q950T? (apologies if this sounds a ridiculous question)

Also will it fit straight onto the wall mounts already attached to mount my N950?

appreciate any help!!
The sub location is fine, but the Q950T uses a different chassis to the N950, so I don't know if you can simply use the existing wall mounts.

appreciate any help!!
I did the same. Switched my N950 for the Q950T.
While I am happy now (with the new Firmware) to have everything working as before, I still do have the annoying sound drops. Never had that with the N950. Soundwise, the Q950T sounds a tiny bit better for the Center, other than that I don't notice that much difference.
I guess what im trying to say: If it worked with the N950, it will work with the Q950T.
Additionally, If you can upgrade for "free or almost free" definitely go for it. I was able to sell my N950 for almost the same price as i paid for the Q950T.. So that was a no-brainer for me... until i learned about the issues (like no LPCM until the latest firmware)

As to you question about mounting:

The Rear Speakers fit in the same mount as the previous Rear Speakers. For the Soundbar, itself, I actually do not know as i never mounted it, but looking in both manuals they have the same part numbers:
Wall Mount Guide (AH63-04369C)
Bracket-Wall Mount (AH61-04119A)

so should fit without a problem

Last edited:
If you can afford it the new 950a is supposed to have a room calibration built in to it and 2 extra speakers .🤷‍♂️

Randomly. I only observe it with FireTV Cube directly connected to the Bar. Doesnt matter what codec. Even with Atmos i get these 0.5s of silence in the middle of a movie. Maybe once an hour.
Oh, same like me with a FireTV4K stick. Doesn't mater what I use (Disney+, Prime). I could observe them with my Bluray player (hdmi2 in) too. So this seems to be a hdmi in port issue on this soundbar.

Hi everyone. I just purchased the Samsung Soundbar HW-Q950T after trying to decide between it and the Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2.4 after my Pioneer Receiver died after 12 years. The Klipsch Cinema 1200 looks interesting too. All the reviews said the Q950T. I'm not impressed yet. The LCD being on the top is driving me nuts. I decided to swap TV's today and brought my 4k TV up from the basement to the living room. The plan was to get an 8k tv at some point and that was going into the living room, but thought I spend more time in the living room why is that 4k down there, might as well use it. Well ever since the rear left speaker now has a popping sound that is driving me nuts. Not sure why the TV would make a difference, but never heard it until the swap. Almost sound like someone tapping on a microphone testing to see if it's working and happens every so often. Doesn't matter if its from the dish box or apple tv 4k. The old TV was a LG 55LW6500 and the 4k tv is a LG 55UN7300PUF. This 4k tv has PCM/Auto/Pass Through in the settings and tried each one manually, but no luck. Anyone know what this could be, not sure if I can live with it. Spoiled now on the 4k, hate to swap them.

Last edited:
Think it's ok now. Unplugged speaker and plugged back in and also adjusted speaker settings to the way some listed here. Didn't hear it the rest of the night. Hope that isn't a common issue of having to reset speakers or unit for it to work correctly?

Think it's ok now. Unplugged speaker and plugged back in and also adjusted speaker settings to the way some listed here. Didn't hear it the rest of the night. Hope that isn't a common issue of having to reset speakers or unit for it to work correctly?
I have to unplug my sub all the time.blue light is on but no sound.turn it off then on again its fine 😡👍

Randomly. I only observe it with FireTV Cube directly connected to the Bar. Doesnt matter what codec. Even with Atmos i get these 0.5s of silence in the middle of a movie. Maybe once an hour.
Have exactly the same setup and same issue. Annoying. I don't think its hardware related, but Samsung wants me to send it in, cause "its not an software issue"... By the way you won't get these dropouts when streaming through ARC (you lose the ability of lossless audio tho) and eARC right?

Hi everyone. I just purchased the Samsung Soundbar HW-Q950T after trying to decide between it and the Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2.4 after my Pioneer Receiver died after 12 years. The Klipsch Cinema 1200 looks interesting too. All the reviews said the Q950T. I'm not impressed yet. The LCD being on the top is driving me nuts. I decided to swap TV's today and brought my 4k TV up from the basement to the living room. The plan was to get an 8k tv at some point and that was going into the living room, but thought I spend more time in the living room why is that 4k down there, might as well use it. Well ever since the rear left speaker now has a popping sound that is driving me nuts. Not sure why the TV would make a difference, but never heard it until the swap. Almost sound like someone tapping on a microphone testing to see if it's working and happens every so often. Doesn't matter if its from the dish box or apple tv 4k. The old TV was a LG 55LW6500 and the 4k tv is a LG 55UN7300PUF. This 4k tv has PCM/Auto/Pass Through in the settings and tried each one manually, but no luck. Anyone know what this could be, not sure if I can live with it. Spoiled now on the 4k, hate to swap them.

Still doing it. I give up, it's back in the box for return. I bought the Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2.4 and blows away the HW-Q950T for movies. The 950 has slightly better sound while watching TV and maybe surround, still testing that, but movies the Nakamichi rules with the bass. Also has the LCD in the front so you know what you are setting. So far doesn't have that tapping bass sound from the left rear surround.

Hi
I want to check my 950t for levels and a bit of EQ'ing.
Does anyone know of some encoded test tones I can download, that will allow me to test and level each channel separately?

Last edited:
Found a site with the test tones :-
AtmosTestFiles – Google Drive

While looking for these test tones I have been trying to level and EQ my 950T, with mixed success.

1. There appears to be no level adjustment on the L & R front mains.
I guess you set all the other speakers to match the front L & Rs, or adjust to your liking.

2. The "filters" that are available for the channels at various frequencies DO NOTHING!!!!
I've tested each channel using REW, and saved the basic SPL.
Using the Centre as a test, I then applied a +6 filter at 600Hz and a -6 filter at 10kHz, and re-tested.
There was absolutely NO CHANGE to the SPL graph.

I don't believe I am doing anything wrong, but willing to listen to any advice.
BTW, I am in Standard Mode.

I've played with the sound for a long time .there is not a great deal of difference between the -6 and +6.i have centre at plus 4 and sides top wide at -1and rears at 1 and top rear at 2.woofer at 3.i then tweaked the eq setting to my liking. Also put treble option to -3 and bass to 1.it works for me but ever one else room eq will be different. 😁👍

I've played with the sound for a long time .there is not a great deal of difference between the -6 and +6.i have centre at plus 4 and sides top wide at -1and rears at 1 and top rear at 2.woofer at 3.i then tweaked the eq setting to my liking. Also put treble option to -3 and bass to 1.it works for me but ever one else room eq will be different. 😁👍
The level adjustments definitely work on some channels, but it's the equalisers that appear to do absolutely nothing. The SPL readings before and after adjustment are identical. i.e. nothing happened.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom