Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review & Comments

Thanks to everyone for your feedback these days. This post refers to Apple TV setups only.

I'm about to return my Q950T after a couple of days of failed key tests.

SETUP: ATV4K (Atmos ON) > Q950T (FW 1017.5 / latest) > Panasonic GZ950 (no ARC).

APP: Surround Generator Apple TV + Dolby add-on enabled.

PROBLEMS:
1) PCM: No support at all. PCM 5.1 & 7.1 rear channels test dropouts in a total random fashion. Only way to fix this is switching ATV output to Dolby Digital, thus disabling the Atmos capability (!)

2) ATMOS: Rear, Top Rear and Side sources will originate from the same area. Maybe because PCM DD carrier is not being read properly?

In both cases the SUBWOOFER channel would not even be enabled (!)

JBL 9.1: I have this soundbar as well in order to decide between one of the two. The JBL correctly pass all DD 5.1, 7.1 and Atmos tests, with each discreet speaker being up when selected in the app and each source in the Atmos space well positioned and defined. Also the subwoofer played all tests correctly...

**If you can find a workaround I will be happy to test it**

App used:

IMG_3847.JPG

Has anybody else have to keep turning there sub of and back in each time after it goes into standby. Its starting to do my head in.i think I'm updated .74 for my sub on firmware.
Got the same problem after standby rears and sub are wooing nothing until I pair again . Have you found a solution ?

Thanks to everyone for your feedback these days. This post refers to Apple TV setups only.

I'm about to return my Q950T after a couple of days of failed key tests.

SETUP: ATV4K (Atmos ON) > Q950T (FW 1017.5 / latest) > Panasonic GZ950 (no ARC).

APP: Surround Generator Apple TV + Dolby add-on enabled.

PROBLEMS:
1) PCM: No support at all. PCM 5.1 & 7.1 rear channels test dropouts in a total random fashion. Only way to fix this is switching ATV output to Dolby Digital, thus disabling the Atmos capability (!)

2) ATMOS: Rear, Top Rear and Side sources will originate from the same area. Maybe because PCM DD carrier is not being read properly?

In both cases the SUBWOOFER channel would not even be enabled (!)

JBL 9.1: I have this soundbar as well in order to decide between one of the two. The JBL correctly pass all DD 5.1, 7.1 and Atmos tests, with each discreet speaker being up when selected in the app and each source in the Atmos space well positioned and defined. Also the subwoofer played all tests correctly...

**If you can find a workaround I will be happy to test it**

App used:

View attachment 1388727
Thanks for this, same use case as you and and so it’s a seems a no go for ATV for now.

Got the same problem after standby rears and sub are wooing nothing until I pair again . Have you found a solution ?

Search on this and the other q950t thread mate.. plenty of posts about it, including a few from me as this is a problem affecting Samsung kit with wireless satellites since the 2016 models... however it isn't a blanket issue.. for some it is that the firmware version across all speakers needs to be updated, for others it is related to 5ghz wifi network equipment they have and the channels being used causing interference.. and some don't get it at all..
There's no one-size fits all fix, it depends on your setup

I've now ordered the soundbar.
My set up is going to be a Panasonic 4K blu-ray player and ATKV directly into the two HDMI ports on the soundbar and the soundbar eARC plugging into my 2016 OLED ARC port. Hopefully, this will give me lossless HD audio for my physical disks and lossy Atmos for the Apple TV.

I get that TV will be passing video to the soundbar (via ARC) but I take it the TV 'WON'T be passing the soundbar audio as the audio will be passed directly into the soundbar from the blu-ray and AT4K?
Do I have to tell the TV not to pass sound?
Is it the soundbar that deals with lipsync?

I'll try and get this to work and if it doesn't then I'll purchase the HD Fury Arcana because lots of HW-Q950T users have said the Arcana has fixed their problems.

@luisreg81

Thanks for the feedback. Will give this soundbar a big pass then.

Another question. There are 2 HDMI out on the soundbar but I will have 3 devices;
1. 4K blu-ray
2. ATV4k
3. PS5

Is it better to plug all 3 devices directly into the soundbar via a splitter and then connect the soundbar eARC to ARC on the TV? Or is it better to plug two devices directly into the soundbar and one device (ATV4K) directly into the TV and then connect the soundbar eARC to ARC on the TV?

If the AT4K doesn't have lossless audio does it matter that I wouldn't be plugging directly into the soundbar as the TV ARC HDMI output (apparently) can carry Dolby Digital Plus (lossy Atmos)?

Hi all, I ordered the Q950T and I collected today, all set up and so far so good, although my LG OLED 55EF950V won't send ATMOS from Netflix to the soundbar, so I'll look at a firestick or something that will support this.
I read about the display being on the top, this really is a poor design, question for the people with the soundbar already, how do you select a particular HDMI input without getting up and standing over the soundbar? Everytime I go to Alexa to play music and want to go back to the Sky Q I have to get up to see what input is selected as I scroll through the options.
Also is there anyway to know what sound the bar is receiving? I managed to find an Atmos film (Spiderman3 on Sky Cinema) which shows Dolby Atmos on the display, but it doesn't seem to say DTS or Dolby Digital, etc, so I don't know what its seeing.
Thanks, Richard

Hi all, I ordered the Q950T and I collected today, all set up and so far so good, although my LG OLED 55EF950V won't send ATMOS from Netflix to the soundbar, so I'll look at a firestick or something that will support this.
I read about the display being on the top, this really is a poor design, question for the people with the soundbar already, how do you select a particular HDMI input without getting up and standing over the soundbar? Everytime I go to Alexa to play music and want to go back to the Sky Q I have to get up to see what input is selected as I scroll through the options.
Also is there anyway to know what sound the bar is receiving? I managed to find an Atmos film (Spiderman3 on Sky Cinema) which shows Dolby Atmos on the display, but it doesn't seem to say DTS or Dolby Digital, etc, so I don't know what its seeing.
Thanks, Richard

You can use the Samsung smart things app to see and change the input and soundmode amongst other things

If you have a Samsung t series you can use the tv setting and go to sound and change things in there also .👍

I have a Shield 2019 (not Pro) and have it plugged directly into the Soundbar. I run Plex on it and the combined setup plays everything I throw at it correctly - to my ears - from stereo all the way up to lossless true HD (Atmos) and DTS X
Just seen the Fire TV cube and 4k stick are on offer at Currys and Argos, do either of these offer ATMOS to the soundbar does anyone know?

Last edited:
Can the q950 have Multi room capability? So other Samsung speakers in another room play the same music as Soundbar/sub?

Does anyone have the Q950T bar connected with a LGB9? Do you experience any problems with the soundbar powering on when the TV turns on? I use to have a Q90R but more times than not if wouldn't fire up when the TV turned on. Samsung said it could be a compatibility issue so I returned the soundbar and got the LG SN11RG bar. Not happy with the sound quality and currently having sound pops from the sub bass. So looks like that is going back. Wanna get the Q950T but concerned I might experience the issue again with the bar not turning on with the TV.

I have the same setup, I have owned the Q950t for over month and have never experienced this problem. If that helps.

Hi.i have 1 problem ,I have found that the sub sometimes does not activate even when the blue light is on .have to unplug and plug back in to get it to fire up !.also there is no night mode for quite listening. It gets very loud on atmos even at low volume. But the sound is very good and clear .

Hi.i have 1 problem ,I have found that the sub sometimes does not activate even when the blue light is on .have to unplug and plug back in to get it to fire up !.also there is no night mode for quite listening. It gets very loud on atmos even at low volume. But the sound is very good and clear .
Yeah ive heard about the sub issue.....alot of posts and reviews on youtube say samsung have rushed the bar out and gonna fix things on the fly. Pretty crap on samsungs behalf!

Samsung seem to be rushing alot .a d there help service is the worst I have ever seen.my qled tv is riddled with problems!😩

Hi everyone!

I'm a Sony HT-Z9F soundbar owner. How does this Samsung soundbar compare to that? Would it be a noticeable increase in sound quality or not so much? Looking to see if an upgrade would be in order. Thank you kindly!

First post here, I was a home theater guy in the 90's with Yamaha DSP-A1000, JM-Lab speakers and laserdisc player. ;-) Anyway, this soundbar seems to be 'unfinished business', at least for the software part. Sadly, it is , here (in Thailand), a promotion price at less than 800 USD ... but even at this price, it seems scary to buy a product with frequent disconnections, bad display and poor software. Unfortunately, Yamaha a not many resellers here. Still reading all your comments, and will decide maybe if the price drops more for Black Friday.

... but even at this price, it seems scary to buy a product with frequent disconnections, bad display and poor software. Unfortunately, Yamaha a not many resellers here. Still reading all your comments, and will decide maybe if the price drops more for Black Friday.

I have had it nearly 30 days and I haven't had any disconnection issues. The lack of display on the front is annoying but you get used to the fact it just works and you dont need to see it. I also got a new Samsung TV at the same time and they play really nicely. The sound is epic - I am really enjoying this aspect. Nothing is perfect I know, but this isn't bad :)

I have had it nearly 30 days and I haven't had any disconnection issues. The lack of display on the front is annoying but you get used to the fact it just works and you dont need to see it. I also got a new Samsung TV at the same time and they play really nicely. The sound is epic - I am really enjoying this aspect. Nothing is perfect I know, but this isn't bad :)
Thanks for answers. I am mainly sending downloaded movies with HDMI from Linux computer to TV (or soundbar), and I have no idea if this can bring more or less software problems, compare to a TV Netflix app for example. Also, is it better to use Kodi or Plex to have the maximum Atmos effects ?
Also, is LPCM only for game console, not PC soundcard (forgive me if the question is ...stupid) ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom