Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review & Comments

Are there any other reviews of the HW-Q950T out currently, aside from AVForums (and that one guy on YouTube that didn't seem to like but loves Sonos)? I cant seem to find any, which seems strange considering its flagship product from tech giant, that's been available to purchase for a while. What gives!

Are there any other reviews of the HW-Q950T out currently, aside from AVForums (and that one guy on YouTube that didn't seem to like but loves Sonos)? I cant seem to find any, which seems strange considering its flagship product from tech giant, that's been available to purchase for a while. What gives!

Yup, not many reviews other than two on YouTube, which includes the dude with the annoying Sonos twinkle drool. Pretty surprising indeed! The AVForums review seems pretty high-level, a tad superficial (is it semi-sponsored?). The best and the most comprehensive review and testing I have seen so far is from PlanetaryReference. The Rtings review seems to be currently available only to their paid subscribers.

Yup, not many reviews other than two on YouTube, which includes the dude with the annoying Sonos twinkle drool. Pretty surprising indeed! The AVForums review seems pretty high-level, a tad superficial (is it semi-sponsored?). The best and the most comprehensive review and testing I have seen so far is from PlanetaryReference. The Rtings review seems to be currently available only to their paid subscribers.
I agree that PlaneraryReference has given quite detailed feedback about their experiences with the bar. The only thing is that they openly admitted that they don't use Atmos or DTSX, so this makes it hard to judge the bar based on these opinions.
I brought the bar for the Atmos and DTSX features on movies and games. It has lots of bugs, but there are workarounds for all of them that result in perfect playback once understood.
If I can watch a movie all the way through without any audio dropouts or crackles then that's already better than about 80% of the soundbars I've owned.
It also helps that the 9.1.4 sounds amazing.

What remote do you have over there? Samsung intended to mark the mute button it seems

Pages 10&11 refer.

And the press of volume is meant to be mute as well - just the lack of the mute button being marked is strange?....

My remote looks the same as the manual. I think pressing the volume button is a nifty way of muting. I just wish they had done the same with the sub volume, instead of resetting its level back to 0. Which makes little sense to me, given it's only 6 steps either side of 0.

Just wanted to include a link to this, back in this review thread:

Mod. Can we please merge the 2 threads. It’s getting tiresome going back and forth between the two?

Mod. Can we please merge the 2 threads. It’s getting tiresome going back and forth between the two?
Thanks for the suggestion @antsims - this has been considered already (by me as it happens :) ) but unfortunately we can’t merge or otherwise alter an editorial (review and comments) thread like this one.

The other thread is a member’s review and comments thread so unsurprisingly owner’s comments have been posted in both. It is a bit of a pain looking in both I agree - but that is all we can do I’m afraid.

Last edited by a moderator:
50% Cashback off q950t at currys, will be in stock in a few days, must buy a tv(Cheapest at £200) but just sell it on 😇 price at full is £1499, saving of about £850. Vs other retailers
It's this deal:
Not any any TV, only select Samsung ones.
This is not unique to Currys.

Rtings released early testing results for both the q950t and q900t in the beginning of September. It’s been a few weeks now, not sure what’s taking so long. Their reviews have been all over the map recently though. They need to refine their method a bit

Rtings dont seem overly impressed. They've graded it lower than the Q90R.

yeah, pretty surprised how bad the surrounds and height fx tested. From user reviews, that sounded like a strength of the q950t

Totally disagree with these ratings and seriously feel they must have either a faulty unit or just didn't update the firmware.
The facts about the eArc we know to be wrong for a start.
The Q950t is superior to the Q90 in every area in my room setup so not sure how they've tested it to get there results.

Question for those who may have some input. I have my Nvidia shield pro plugged into HDMI 1 of the Soundbar and my PS4 plugged into HDMI 2. My soundbar is then plugged by Arc into my Sony X900F (which doesn't support eARC). Is there any way to adjust the video settings of each individual HDMI input of the soundbar or have them show up as different inputs on the tv? I ask because I would like to turn off all motion processing for the PS4 but I do leave on some processing for my Shield for movies. Thanks.

Question for those who may have some input. I have my Nvidia shield pro plugged into HDMI 1 of the Soundbar and my PS4 plugged into HDMI 2. My soundbar is then plugged by Arc into my Sony X900F (which doesn't support eARC). Is there any way to adjust the video settings of each individual HDMI input of the soundbar or have them show up as different inputs on the tv? I ask because I would like to turn off all motion processing for the PS4 but I do leave on some processing for my Shield for movies. Thanks.
Nope.

Watched Godzilla king of the monsters and the atmos mix was insane. Fab sound with rears and heights.

As per rtings the lowest frequency rating is 29Hz which is the same as Q90R and SN11. Wondering if the bass is impactful as that's my only issue with the SN11.

Hi guys,

First post here on the forum.
I just bought a Q950 T to go with my 65Q90T.
My question is. How do I connect my stuff haha.

20200926_192516.jpg

I have a Nvidia Shield pro and a PS4 pro.
To get Atmos out of my Shield do I need to connect it to the soundbar or leave it in the tv? I have EARC but I thought the Samsung tv's doesn't support Atmos passthrough. Is this true?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

First post here on the forum.
I just bought a Q950 T to go with my 65Q90T.
My question is. How do I connect my stuff haha.

View attachment 1372434

I have a Nvidia Shield pro and a PS4 pro.
To get Atmos out of my Shield do I need to connect it to the soundbar or leave it in the tv? I have EARC but I thought the Samsung tv's doesn't support Atmos passthrough. Is this true?
To get full Atmos plug directly into the soundbars 2 HDMI sockets and HDMI out to tv eARC input.
Atmos over eARC from the tv is compressed and uses DD+ format.....An upgrade to rectify this and a few other short comings are eagerly awaited...i wouldnt hold your breath though.

Hi all, looking to get this today with the cashback offer.
As there are very few reviews online atm what are owners thoughts on it?

I have a 3020i 5.1 in the man cave but the OH wouldn't have in the lounge. Steve's review was very complimentary but would be good to hear a few more opinions.

Cheers everyone 👍

Hi all, looking to get this today with the cashback offer.
As there are very few reviews online atm what are owners thoughts on it?

I have a 3020i 5.1 in the man cave but the OH wouldn't have in the lounge. Steve's review was very complimentary but would be good to hear a few more opinions.

Cheers everyone 👍
Amazing, best sounding soundbar setup there is.
Plug everything into the bar and ignore eArc and everything will work well.
It's significantly better than all the competition and I've heard them all in my living room.

Amazing, best sounding soundbar setup there is.
Plug everything into the bar and ignore eArc and everything will work well.
It's significantly better than all the competition and I've heard them all in my living room.

Brilliant thanks for your message. Is the atmos any good with it? I have about 9ft high ceilings so should be perfect for it

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom