Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review & Comments

Skeeze85

Standard Member
I really think this review needs adjusting taking into account the problems with the bar not playing very well with consoles

richardw

Thanks for the excellent, thorough review. I just installed one today and have a question re volume control. Mine's connected via earc to a Sony A8H 65", what should the TV's volume control be set at? I assumed it would disable once earc connects but it doesn't, it controls the output of the soundbar but it's not at all the same level the actual soundbar's volume control outputs, weird I know.

I'm trying to like this, it's a pretty easy solution for HT. It's quirky, for sure missing some basic functions like displaying output, there totally should be a way to know what audio format is being played. Also level adjustments and maybe some tools to assist like noise generator. It sounds very good. Not great, very good, kind of a multipurpose sound workhorse. Lacks some dynamic range and definition but gives a good theater experience to chill and watch movies. I wish they would have gone one step above for drivers and build quality, they are close to a really strong device with a few tweeks, IMO.

Last edited:

Rev007

If you pair it with a 2020 qled Samsung tv you can see all the different sound settings in the sound setting in the tv.do you see them on the screen and not on the small sound bar led.if you use the smartthings app on you phone or tablet you can see the sound output on there.

Asherek

Novice Member
Sorry to ask this, if it's already been answered - is there a way to adjust dynamic sound with this bar? I find it's way too loud during movies during special effects but then the dialog is too low. I end up having to constantly adjust the volume up during quiet moments/dialog time and then frantically lowering the volume during loud moments.

Setup is - Samsung Q90T TV, soundbar plugged into eARC port. Using a nVidia Shield Pro in HDMI slot 4, PS5 in slot 1. Same problem across the board for the nVidia Shield as well as the PS5.

Rev007

Yes I also have this issue.there seems to be a very big difference between the loud action and normal scene. I also find myself grabbing for the remote to turn it down.it could do with a night mode also as I can not watch anything at night without waking kids up !.like you say a dynamic eq would be great .

Turr1c4n

Sorry to ask this, if it's already been answered - is there a way to adjust dynamic sound with this bar? I find it's way too loud during movies during special effects but then the dialog is too low. I end up having to constantly adjust the volume up during quiet moments/dialog time and then frantically lowering the volume during loud moments.

Setup is - Samsung Q90T TV, soundbar plugged into eARC port. Using a nVidia Shield Pro in HDMI slot 4, PS5 in slot 1. Same problem across the board for the nVidia Shield as well as the PS5.

Have you tried adaptive sound mode? Only "problem" is that the sub can't be muted.

Rev007

Does this make all loud scenes more level with rest of the dialogue in move .I dont mind about the sub been on I prefer it on .

matthewjh

Standard Member
I currently have this unit but thinking of sending it back.
I ordered theQ950T, Sony HT5000 and Sonos Arc.
The Arc was awful and i liked the Sony until I watched an Atmos film with the Q950T. Its much more immersive.
I do have a couple of niggles that i would appreciate your input on.
Alexa - this keeps cutting in, even when it sounds nothing like the "alexa" wake up call.
When i try to play music from Alexa, it confirms what i say but teh music doesnt play. The Alexa app shows it playing but no sound from the Q950T. If i play from my spotify app its fine.
My other issue is the lack of night mode and the quiet voices then loud impact during films. This is frustrating as we have 2 young children.

What are your thoughts on these issues and do you recommend an alternative

MAtt

Rev007

I defo agree about the lack of night mode .also the lack of adjustment for each speaker separately. The quite voice to an explosion is way loud !.🤯.I also have to kids that are in bed when I get to watch a film .I still have the problem of my sub says it connected but no sound comes from it .I have to turn plug of and on again to get it to work .

matthewjh

Standard Member
I defo agree about the lack of night mode .also the lack of adjustment for each speaker separately. The quite voice to an explosion is way loud !.🤯.I also have to kids that are in bed when I get to watch a film .I still have the problem of my sub says it connected but no sound comes from it .I have to turn plug of and on again to get it to work .

i'm still within my 14 days so tempted to just send it back. i just can't see to find a suitable equivalent.

Frustrating for the cost

Matt

AlmostSerious

Standard Member
Anybody else having the issue that the Soundbar turns itself on as soon as i am playing something on Spotify (not on the soundbar)? Seems like the q950t always gets the spotify play data updates via the ST cloud even when playing on a different device.

outoftheknow

Similar question in the other thread

Check the settings in Spotify - it has to be in there you would think. The bar is being told to play so turns itself on from stand-by surely?

khunphil

Novice Member
I defo agree about the lack of night mode .also the lack of adjustment for each speaker separately. The quite voice to an explosion is way loud !.🤯.I also have to kids that are in bed when I get to watch a film .
I dont understand, even with no Night Mode, you can go on Subwoofer volume and turn it down no ? I know this is not an easy way , but is it possible, manually or with Smart-Things ? I had a LG 2.1 with night mode, but I nevertheless never used it.

Rev007

Yes you could turn the sub and the rears down ,but to be honest there is not alot of difference from 0 to 6 .its still loud compared to dialogue.

khunphil

Novice Member
Thanks for information, I am still hesitatiing between Q950T which is the new model, and Q90R which had the front display and good reviews also ... and 50USD cheaper ...

AlmostSerious

Standard Member

Adaptive Mode helps a little bit in compressing the dynamic range. But the compression is VERY light.
However, I have a good experience with the FireTV Cube (2nd Gen) which allows in the additional audio settings to activate a dynamic range compression. With this activated and adaptive mode, this is very similar to the experience I have on my Denon with Audyssey Dynamic Volume on Light.

antsims

Distinguished Member
I'm going to order the LG today and see how it performs
I sold my LG for the Q950. Lg was awful, flat sound. Q950 amazing sound.

Ramo6

Standard Member
I sold my LG for the Q950. Lg was awful, flat sound. Q950 amazing sound.
I just purchased the q950 to compare with sn11 side by side ...switching back and forth to compare the two with different movies....the q950 sounds amazing, only issue I have with it is the upfiring front drivers, I don’t hear noise coming from above....is there a fix for this?

Ramo6

Standard Member
Also everything is set at factory settings any recommendations for optimum settings?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 49

Ramo6

Standard Member
Yea no luck, with lg same scene I hear it coming from the ceiling...iono
also any settings to help with the hissing?

Ramo6

Standard Member
Also what are the issues ppl are having with the q950 bc I read about earc issues, rear speakers cutting out...???so far I don’t notice any issues besides sounds from above and hissing

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett