Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review & Comments

XL5

First of all forget the Arcana if you have Arc
Thanks for taking the time for the reply.

Just for clarification;
4K blu ray -> Directly into soundbar -> Soundbar eARC plugged into TV ARC = Lossy Atmos?

4K blu ray -> Directly into TV -> TV ARC plugged into the soundbar eARC = 5.1?

4K blu ray -> Directly into HD Fury Arcana -> Arcana plugged into soundbar eARC and TV ARC = Dolby TrueHD?
Ok lets forget Arcana for now i think your probably over complicating things.
Basically anyone buying a soundbar is a chord cutter. What i mean by that is they've probably owned in the past a full av system...reciever, amps wired speakers...etc
They are for the most part sick of cabling and interconnects so they invest in the latest tv's with their built in streaming apps and either Arc or eArc and buy a soundbar. Now this is mostly the point of this thread regarding eArc and its limitations regarding this soundbar and the way it delivers atmos audio from the tv over eArc.
The apps on the tv for the most part support atmos...samsung regarding this soundbar promised proper eArc readability but it is not fulfilling this and only delivering a compressed option of atmos..the forum members here are hoping for a future software update to correct this and deliver full atmos via eArc.
So question 1:
4K blu ray -> Directly into soundbar -> Soundbar eARC plugged into TV ARC = Lossy Atmos?
Incorrect:
You get Lossless atmos.

Question 2:
Incorrect and correct:
You get compressed atmos, basically a dolby digital plus variant on atmos at best or a 5.1 surround format upmixed to a 7.1 format to make full use of your rears in some cases.
Question 3:
4K blu ray -> Directly into HD Fury Arcana -> Arcana plugged into soundbar eARC and TV ARC = Dolby TrueHD?
I wouldn't purchase this, i would save up and buy a later tv with eArc or at least Arc capabilities and keep the signal path clean and simple.

BeefS2

Basically anyone buying a soundbar is a chord cutter. What i mean by that is they've probably owned in the past a full av system...reciever, amps wired speakers...etc
They are for the most part sick of cabling and interconnects so they invest in the latest tv's with their built in streaming apps and either Arc or eArc and buy a soundbar. Now this is mostly the point of this thread regarding eArc and its limitations regarding this soundbar and the way it delivers atmos audio from the tv over eArc.
The apps on the tv for the most part support atmos...samsung regarding this soundbar promised proper eArc readability but it is not fulfilling this and only delivering a compressed option of atmos..the forum members here are hoping for a future software update to correct this and deliver full atmos via eArc.
So question 1:
Incorrect:
You get Lossless atmos.

Question 2:
Incorrect and correct:
You get compressed atmos, basically a dolby digital plus variant on atmos at best or a 5.1 surround format upmixed to a 7.1 format to make full use of your rears in some cases.
Question 3:
I wouldn't purchase this, i would save up and buy a later tv with eArc or at least Arc capabilities and keep the signal path clean and simple.
I thought the recent update to 1017.5 fixed most of the problems with eARC? Lpcm still doesn’t appear to work correctly though

spider_neil

Standard Member

So question 1:
Incorrect:
You get Lossless atmos.

Question 2:
Incorrect and correct:
Question 3:

Thank you for the detailed replies.
For me, a new eARC TV is out. I have an LG OLED 2016 3D TV. The 3D is the best 3D I have ever seen and I don't want to give up that TV anytime soon so I am stuck with ARC only.

Incorrect:
You get Lossless atmos.
If this is indeed the case (HD sound via direct connect with the soundbar and TV's ARC) then great. Hopefully, the soundbar tells me whether the sound is Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD. If I can't get HD sound with the soundbar and my ARC TV set up in any configuration I will have to purchase the HD Fury Arcana because I'm not ready to give up my 3D TV and the soundbar is too expensive to settle for lossy Dolby Digital Plus.

XL5

I thought the recent update to 1017.5 fixed most of the problems with eARC? Lpcm still doesn’t appear to work correctly though
I think any updates and their fixes should be pinned to the top of this thread and also the owners thread.

XL5

Thank you for the detailed replies.
For me, a new eARC TV is out. I have an LG OLED 2016 3D TV. The 3D is the best 3D I have ever seen and I don't want to give up that TV anytime soon so I am stuck with ARC only.

If this is indeed the case (HD sound via direct connect with the soundbar and TV's ARC) then great. Hopefully, the soundbar tells me whether the sound is Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD. If I can't get HD sound with the soundbar and my ARC TV set up in any configuration I will have to purchase the HD Fury Arcana because I'm not ready to give up my 3D TV and the soundbar is too expensive to settle for lossy Dolby Digital Plus.
You'll be fine without the Arcana. ;)

spider_neil

Standard Member
You'll be fine without the Arcana. ;)
Cool :)
I'll let you know if I am able to get lossless HD sound without Arcana. £160 plus an extra high-speed HDMI cable (£29) is a lot of money I'd rather not pay but not the end of the world if do have to get it.

Hey guys, do you get Atmos from Windows games at all? Since this thing does not support PCM I haven't managed to make any Atmos Windows game play on it.

Connection direct to soundbar will give you full atmos and not a compressed version via eArc. Your room size is fine. Hopefully the offer of half price for the soundbar if you purchase a cheap £200 samsung tv is still active for you. ;)
You can get TrueHD via eARC now, as you can get any bitstreamed format uncompressed.
What doesn't work is anything using Dolby MAT because it requires 7.1/5.1 PCM support and this bar still doesn't even support this via the direct connection even, which is worse than any previous model.

Did Steve or anyone mention if we are getting the PCM update so we can actually use this thing properly?

XL5

You can get TrueHD via eARC now, as you can get any bitstreamed format uncompressed.
What doesn't work is anything using Dolby MAT because it requires 7.1/5.1 PCM support and this bar still doesn't even support this via the direct connection even, which is worse than any previous model.

Did Steve or anyone mention if we are getting the PCM update so we can actually use this thing properly?
That is good news regarding the eARC but still not good news for LPCM ...come on Samsung for gods sake! Or is this another backdown so they can sell more soundbars when its included in the next model...gamers i feel your pain..

That is good news regarding the eARC but still not good news for LPCM ...come on Samsung for gods sake! Or is this another backdown so they can sell more soundbars when its included in the next model...gamers i feel your pain..
Well, in Germany at least they can get in trouble for false advertisment. They specifically say in the product page that you can use the bar to have high quality surround sound from game consoles like the Xbox One and the Nintendo Switch.

None of these consoles supports surround formats without multi-channel PCM. All the previous Samsung models supported it. This is truly a disgrace. This is advertised as a future-proof gaming bar, it even claims HDMI 2.1 support in their website still, as of this moment.

1603025885970.png

The translation of the text and the asterisk says:
Samsung said:
Intoxicating sound for your games
Game Mode Pro

Prepare for intense gaming sessions with subwoofers and up-firing speakers that deliver stunning surround sound. The soundbar automatically switches to Game Mode when connected to your TV, so you don't need to adjust any settings and can concentrate fully on your game.

* Only for compatible TVs and game consoles (Xbox One or later, PS4, Nintendo Switch). * Game console sold separately.
* Compatible devices may vary.
2 out of 3 of these consoles cannot even give surround output without 7.1 LPCM, this is clearly false advertising.

Here they claim it has HDMI 2.1
1603026031316.png

These are screenshots as of this moment, which you can check here:

It would be nice if Steve could at least ask them about this.

Attachments

Xibateew

Has anyone owning a HW-Q950T, especially in Europe, noticed any permanent buzzing sound coming from it? Reason I ask is that I got the HW-Q96R for a good price (700e) but whenever it has the power cord plugged in there is a faint 50Hz groud-loop-like buzz coming from the left side speakers. I returned the bar to the store for repairs but they called me and said its a feature of every HW-Q96R and cannot be repaired... So I wonder if the Q950T suffers from the same problem too or have they fixed it.

The buzz was not very loud on the Q96R but still well audible, in my home when its quiet I could hear it while sitting on a sofa a few meters away from the soundbar, which is rather intolerable.

Turr1c4n

Standard Member
Has anyone owning a HW-Q950T, especially in Europe, noticed any permanent buzzing sound coming from it? Reason I ask is that I got the HW-Q96R for a good price (700e) but whenever it has the power cord plugged in there is a faint 50Hz groud-loop-like buzz coming from the left side speakers. I returned the bar to the store for repairs but they called me and said its a feature of every HW-Q96R and cannot be repaired... So I wonder if the Q950T suffers from the same problem too or have they fixed it.

The buzz was not very loud on the Q96R but still well audible, in my home when its quiet I could hear it while sitting on a sofa a few meters away from the soundbar, which is rather intolerable.
I never heard that on the q950t. I cannot distinguish if the bar is on or off when no sound is played.

EDIT: I wonder what kind of feature a permanent noise would be.

Xibateew

Well, I suspected they cannot fix the problem even before returning the unit as it sounds exactly like a typical case of packing mains cables or a transformer too close to a speaker. Here is a video of what the Q96R sounds like. They did say they were able to hear the exact same buzz from their demo unit and I don't know what motivation they would have to lie in order to get me to return something I purchased from them.

But good to hear that the Q950T doesn't suffer from this problem, I'll probably get it then to replace the Q96R as going back to the TV speakers is pretty awful :).

Bwlmog

Just ordered this bar as my first foray into Atmos. Yes it has its faults but for the price at the moment £1,499 with 50% cashback when bought with a TV makes it an interesting proposition.

I'll be using it with a PS4+, PS5, Xbox One, Apple TV, Sky Q and soon a Nvidia Shield Pro. My current TV doesn't have EARC. But coming from a 6 year old Yamaha YSP2500 I'm hoping to see a marked improvement in overall sound performance.

Thank you to everyone who has and continues to contribute to this feed. The discussions have been brilliant in helping me understand this system and I join the masses in hoping that the current PCM issues get resolved soon.

AhYungIX

Standard Member
After update 1017, i still have the issue of my sub connect to the soundbar :(

Still need power cycle upon wake up else, there is no sub woofer sound (even with blue solid light) and it's affect the rear also.

Rev007

I have same problem with sub .but rears are fine.sub says its connected but no sound .switch it off at plug then back on again it fires up !!😩

spider_neil

Standard Member
I have same problem with sub .but rears are fine.sub says its connected but no sound .switch it off at plug then back on again it fires up !!😩
Does that mean it's better to completely turn off the soundbar and speakers at the mains at the end of the night?

Rev007

You should not have to turn them off at the mains .they should be fine in standby.mine turned its self on a few times in middle of the night !.which was nice!😩

You should not have to turn them off at the mains .they should be fine in standby.mine turned its self on a few times in middle of the night !.which was nice!😩
I also notice that sometimes you turn it off, the lights go to red, but after a while they will start to blink blue :p

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Sean Connery: James Bond icon dies aged 90
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett