Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review & Comments

Talkshowchris

As I see it, the XBox One S and the One X have had quite bad issues with soundbars in general for the past 3 years. These are well documented and I've experienced the worst of it on a number of soundbars.

In spite of this, because the XBox is so good and the whole Game Pass infrastructure is so comprehensive, people still use the known workarounds to play their console in Dolby Atmos. People may even compromise and disable the Atmos mode and go with the 5.1 or 7.1 that works with little or not issues.

What I'm saying in short is this:
Despite the issues, people keep their Xboxes. They have workarounds and many will be buying the Series X or S in spite of their issues with the current generation (maybe even quietly expecting some issue with Atmos). On Xbox forums, people aren't constantly saying that they are getting rid of their console. They compromise for the greater good and experience.
This is the same as with the Q950t. Learn to live with the workarounds and then any progression on the Samsung updates is a bonus to us all.

Danbeaman1991

After a week of tinkering and not been sure I have dialled in the settings and Sub placement really was key so thanks @XL5 for the help. Watched Baby driver last night and it was incredible. Having a true lossless audio makes these shine!

N0ddie

I assume this won't allow for HDMI 2.1 (4K 120Hz) pass through? If I have say a PS5 I'd have to connect it to the TV then EARC on TV to EARC on the soundbar?

If EARC is currently not functioning how it should how else does one connect this up?

Talkshowchris

I assume this won't allow for HDMI 2.1 (4K 120Hz) pass through? If I have say a PS5 I'd have to connect it to the TV then EARC on TV to EARC on the soundbar?

If EARC is currently not functioning how it should how else does one connect this up?
VRR does work, so it does allow that Passthrough.

XL5

Has anyone compared the nvidia shield to ATV4k regarding atmos on this bar.
Be good to know their thoughts ;)

GT One

As a 10 score is a rarity, having one for this Samsung product is a curiosity.
I reviewed some of Samsung's own consumer reviews and it did not get a 10 in fact most of the comments revealed some disappointment, the top scores reserved for those connecting the HW Q950T with Samsung TV's.
Issues featured on Samsung site are: Sync issues with rear speakers and sub, inconsistent tech support (in Australia) and why Samsung designed the device with a small inconveniently placed display.

Vk1973

Standard Member
As a 10 score is a rarity, having one for this Samsung product is a curiosity.
I reviewed some of Samsung's own consumer reviews and it did not get a 10 in fact most of the comments revealed some disappointment, the top scores reserved for those connecting the HW Q950T with Samsung TV's.
Issues featured on Samsung site are: Sync issues with rear speakers and sub, inconsistent tech support (in Australia) and why Samsung designed the device with a small inconveniently placed display.
Website experts exist, to rate with ... 10 corporate products, advertising them, and making sales to potential buyers as easy as possible. so simple. good morning .

ejm78

Novice Member
Considering the software support history of it's predecessors it is impossible to rate this soundbar this high in my opinion. I would not consider buying a Samsung soundbar again knowing that it will no longer be supported after only one year. The 2018 model HW-N950's last update is from may 2019 and never received the earc or 4 channel stereo update, it's software is still buggy. So I would like avforums to take this in their considerations when rating a soundbar and letting consumers know what they are getting into.

mason1970

Standard Member
Afternoon ppl ive got the Q950T in place and its night and day over the ambeo and the power gave me goosebumps lol..to be fair ive only taken it out and played some material from my apple 4K box..

mason1970

Standard Member
I keep playing around with the settings. For now I use (standard mode):

TREBLE = 0
BASS = -2 (So far I can't hear a huge difference adjusting this setting but I felt it was too heavy on 0)
SYNC = 0
CENTER LEVEL = +2 (I thought dialogues were a little low on 0)
SIDE LEVEL = +2
WIDE LEVEL = +2
FRONT TOP LEVEL = +4
REAR LEVEL = 0 (switching between -2 and 2 depending on the content)
REAR TOP LEVEL = +4
VIRTUAL = OFF
SUBWOOFER = +2

The room is 5 x 7 metres with the sitting position centered to the sides and like 2.5 metres from the back.
How do you change Subwoofer as it does come up after "virtual" when press the remote

PineTree

I have this soundbar for 2 weeks now.

The best soundbar I’ve ever owned. Significant improvement over N950.

I’ve owned LG and Sony flagships and Bose too.

mason1970

Standard Member
Spent 6hrs yesterday try to get the dolby atmos out of the unit and good surround but i think my room dimension are to small and the ceiling is to low..the q950t is awesome and off the scale powerful but your room need to be bigger then mine also lots of the clever features are for samsung tv owner so i think its time to concede and forget atmos and just look for a good all rounder..

Case Closed

Standard Member
My sofa is back to the wall but i could wall mount the speakers so they would be just behind me, is that any good? Also is the Samsung a big improvement over SN11RG or are they very much the same?
I too am in a similar situation. I'm also considering this soundbar but am worried my room (12' x 13') my not be big enough. At the moment I have a very old 5.0 system, with side mounted dipoles, but like the simplicity of a soundbar.

01) Is there a minimum distance that the bar needs to be in front of you for the up firing speakers to remain effective?
02) Is there a minimum distance that the rear speakers would need to be behind you to remain effective?

XL5

I too am in a similar situation. I'm also considering this soundbar but am worried my room (12' x 13') my not be big enough. At the moment I have a very old 5.0 system, with side mounted dipoles, but like the simplicity of a soundbar.

01) Is there a minimum distance that the bar needs to be in front of you for the up firing speakers to remain effective?
02) Is there a minimum distance that the rear speakers would need to be behind you to remain effective?
Sound from rears is superb and very convincing. Soundar is 14 feet away from seated position.
*note i have one in the kitchen where the soundbar is 8 feet away and still achieves a convincing atmos bubble.

Attachments

Turr1c4n

Standard Member
IMO the dust is more visible on smooth surfaces like the TV stand next to it. It does catch the bigger fuzzes once in a while though. I just vacuum over it with with a furniture attachment. No problem so far.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett