Samsung HW-Q950T and HW-Q900T Soundbar - Review & Comments

Ok, I'm confused now. I watched a part of Braveheart in Dolby Atmos and the front heights are off. Rear heights are ok.
I then switched to Bohemian Rhapsody in Dolby Atmos and both rear and front heights are working.

Ok, I'm confused now. I watched a part of Braveheart in Dolby Atmos and the front heights are off. Rear heights are ok.
I then switched to Bohemian Rhapsody in Dolby Atmos and both rear and front heights are working.
Maybe no front heights in the mix?

Is there a way we can push for the inclusion of LPCM in this soundbar... it was included on the Q90R so no reason it couldn’t also be on this bar... social media push, to quote Kramer from Seinfeld... “like they did in the 60s”. It’s amazing the amount of devices that require this simple output... Apple TV, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch and just movies that have that output...

Is there a way we can push for the inclusion of LPCM in this soundbar... it was included on the Q90R so no reason it couldn’t also be on this bar... social media push, to quote Kramer from Seinfeld... “like they did in the 60s”. It’s amazing the amount of devices that require this simple output... Apple TV, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch and just movies that have that output...
I'm sure it will come with a Firmware update.

Last edited:

Is it actually missing, though? I have the Q950T now and I haven't noticed anything missing...

It all sounds good to me so far. How would I even test this?

Is it actually missing, though? I have the Q950T now and I haven't noticed anything missing...

No idea as I do not have the devices where people are reporting the issue. The Q950T sounds amazing IMO and I am completely happy with the purchase.

Totally agree. It's a great soundbar. For the majority of things it plays everything without a hitch.

But if you try playing anything that is Surround PCM e.g. PS4 can output PCM surround, some movies e.g. The Rock, Air Force One, Pirates of the Caribbean on bluray have LPCM tracks etc. If you try playing them through a blu-ray player they downmix the sound from surround to stereo... I appreciate that those movies probably have a Dolby/DTS mix also and PS4 you can get a bitstream mix from either Dolby/DTS but you shouldn't have to do that.

If I was buying the Q70T or lower I could possibly understand that not being present, but a near $2000AUD unit... should come straight out of the box and considering previous models had it already included. I'm sure it'll be a non issue and should be fixable with a firmware update... Would just be nice to have a confirmation and time frame from Samsung when that might be though. I can plan my life accordingly lol :)

Do you guys think having the rears mounted high, about 1.7m up the wall and then pointing down would still give the atmos effect? My speakers and couch will be against the wall. And already having them at head height I notice the listener next to me blocks the speaker. I have tilt-able swivel wall mounts and will have them angled slightly towards the TV and angled about 30 degrees down. Considering I am very close to the rears I was hoping this would actually more effectively bounce the rop rears off the roof and down onto my couch.

Does anyone know the exact angle that the atmos speakers fire at?

Thanks. Had to press the update button in smart things like 4 times before it picked up there was an update.

At $2K, this soundbar is pretty ridiculous for not supporting a basic format such as LPCM. Another week, and if Samsung customer support gives me no further update of a fix, I am sending this back.

Last edited:
Samsung is notorious about not disclosing what is in the firmware updates. I have had the same challenge with my 8K TV - zero clue. If you ask the customer support, they usually say - "performance improvements".

4 tries later, my soundbar is updating, finally! Would be great to know what this fixes...

Last edited:

I tried the Dolby Atoms 747 Demo from the Dolby test files and the sub (SW) is not working with this demo.

This could be an issue with some video files

Anyone run the update and see if it address’ LPCM and or find the process took a while. SmartThings kept going -1 so I downloaded the firmware onto USB and still waiting a few minutes for something

Yes, keep us informed.
Don't forget to update your speaker and SW.

" Turn the soundbar on, and wait until there is any text on the display, then press and hold the DOWN button on the remote for about 6 seconds until the display shows UPDATE. "
The display on the soundbar will cycle UPDATE > BYE > ON. This takes about 5 minutes.

LPCM is there... chucked on Pirates of the Caribbean on bluray and via Kodi (Shield via eARC). Surround speakers working. It’s quieter than the Dolby mix I find. Does plex not like LPCM files. I get all surrounds except centre speaker... but playing through kodi works fine.

I tried holding down the down pad for 6 seconds. Update just flashes quickly and then goes back to hdmi1. Do you think there was no update for the subs and rears? Or the smart things app also updates the Q950T sub and rears at the same time?

Great news ! thanks a lot for the time spent on this.
I don't know, maybe this procedure is outdated or no update is needed other than the one on the main unit.

I tried holding down the down pad for 6 seconds. Update just flashes quickly and then goes back to hdmi1. Do you think there was no update for the subs and rears? Or the smart things app also updates the Q950T sub and rears at the same time?
Dont stress. It's basically a update for the operating system in the soundbar. Makes things work better.
I'm 99% percent sure that guy is wrong

I only did it on the soundbar. I think the rears only needed the update back when they had that issues with the rears back in Q90R days

Anyway this was something to try.

@ Daveyjar
And I don't think that guy is wrong, when his participation here is relevant.

Spatial price is now £1599.

Hughes price is £1799 :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom