Samsung HW-Q950T and HW-Q900T Soundbar - Review & Comments

Thanks man! As for the sub cutting out at below 4 - my bar shows it's the latest update. How do I change this?

Hmm......should just be automatic. It was spoken about on one the JBL threads but can't remember which one.

Hmm......should just be automatic. It was spoken about on one the JBL threads but can't remember which one.
Nope, not on my end. That is a HUGE problem to me so if you know how to force the update that would be super helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:
50% Cashback off q950t at currys, will be in stock in a few days, must buy a tv(Cheapest at £200) but just sell it on 😇 price at full is £1499, saving of about £850. Vs other retailers
Read the offer carefully. It is the same one that most retailers are able to offer due to Samsung's promotion:
It's not any TV either, it's only select (expensive) ones from Samsung.

So, I pulled the trigger today, I should have the bar until the end of the week. I am selling my N950 to a friend, and I am planning to pair the Q950T with my 65" C9, by using eARC.

I will thoroughly test what modes I get with it, but I cannot check (unfortunately) the claims about it having HDMI 2.1.

I really hope Samsung fixes the DTS:X issue as well as the LPCM 7.1 issue, which are still unacceptable problems for a product like this. According to the information from the German website, it should support DTS:X, and LPCM via all its ports (they promise "uncompressed" audio from consoles and other appliances to it), as well as HDMI 2.1.

Finally found time to wall mount my rear speakers. Also wall mounted the TV and Soundbar a few weeks back. Having the rears mounted and angled down has made the surround bubble sound amazing. I can actually hear sounds coming from behind my head. I assume the downward angle has made the top firing speaker converge on my centre position better.
20200920_150448.jpg
20200920_150308.jpg
20200920_150247.jpg

I like the wrap - but - who cares?
Well.... I went and got the 950T and damn!! I’m so happy. The rears can actually be heard now!! Everything sounds amazing! I like the wrap too haha listening to dark side of the moon album is great!

Finally found time to wall mount my rear speakers. Also wall mounted the TV and Soundbar a few weeks back. Having the rears mounted and angled down has made the surround bubble sound amazing. I can actually hear sounds coming from behind my head. I assume the downward angle has made the top firing speaker converge on my centre position better. View attachment 1369038View attachment 1369039View attachment 1369040

With that room, I would have gone separates but looks neat and tidy.

Finally found time to wall mount my rear speakers. Also wall mounted the TV and Soundbar a few weeks back. Having the rears mounted and angled down has made the surround bubble sound amazing. I can actually hear sounds coming from behind my head. I assume the downward angle has made the top firing speaker converge on my centre position better. View attachment 1369038View attachment 1369039View attachment 1369040
What kind of speaker mounts you use? I am thinking of doing the same thing. THanks

So, I pulled the trigger today, I should have the bar until the end of the week. I am selling my N950 to a friend, and I am planning to pair the Q950T with my 65" C9, by using eARC.

I will thoroughly test what modes I get with it, but I cannot check (unfortunately) the claims about it having HDMI 2.1.

I really hope Samsung fixes the DTS:X issue as well as the LPCM 7.1 issue, which are still unacceptable problems for a product like this. According to the information from the German website, it should support DTS:X, and LPCM via all its ports (they promise "uncompressed" audio from consoles and other appliances to it), as well as HDMI 2.1.

I was comparing manuals for Q90R and Q950T and on the supported formats, for the Q90R states:
LPCM 8ch, Dolby Digital, Dolby Atmos (True HD / Digital Plus), DTS:X

and for the Q950T:
Dolby Atmos (True HD / Digital Plus), Dolby Digital, DTS Master Audio, DTS:X, DTS

So no LPCM 8ch on the specs sheets of the Q950T.

I'm starting to loose faith in Samsung ever fixing this, if it's specifically changed in the manual

Where is the part with the supported formats in the manual?

The Samsung website claims this bar is HDMI 2.1.

Also can anyone confirm if the wall mounts on the bar are on the same distance as the Q90R/N950? It would be great if I didn't have to drill again.

In the German store page HDMI 2.1 is mentioned, as well as "lossless audio from game consoles" via eARC.

See the HDMI version below:

R7HvPEY.png

Here it basically says it supports automatic game mode:

WCKzhMM.png

"Intoxicating sound for your games
Game Mode Pro
Prepare for intense gaming sessions with subwoofers and up-firing speakers that deliver stunning surround sound. The soundbar automatically switches to Game Mode when connected to your TV, so you don't need to adjust any settings and can concentrate fully on your game."

And here "lossless audio" via eARC

RQbr1JT.png

"HDMI eARC
With HDMI eARC you can listen to lossless, high-quality sound even when connected to other devices such as DVD players or game consoles."

Mines arriving tomorrow. Currys have stock now. £1499. Bought the cheap tv with it and will now save £750 back from Samsung. cant wait until tomorrow now.

In the German store page HDMI 2.1 is mentioned, as well as "lossless audio from game consoles" via eARC.

See the HDMI version below:

R7HvPEY.png

Here it basically says it supports automatic game mode:

WCKzhMM.png

"Intoxicating sound for your games
Game Mode Pro
Prepare for intense gaming sessions with subwoofers and up-firing speakers that deliver stunning surround sound. The soundbar automatically switches to Game Mode when connected to your TV, so you don't need to adjust any settings and can concentrate fully on your game."

And here "lossless audio" via eARC

RQbr1JT.png

"HDMI eARC
With HDMI eARC you can listen to lossless, high-quality sound even when connected to other devices such as DVD players or game consoles."

The problem is that LPCM is only working through eARC but not via HDMI 1 or 2, right?

The problem is that LPCM is only working through eARC but not via HDMI 1 or 2, right?
I don't think we have confirmation either way. DTS:X not working via eARC tells me that the eARC port is limited as the normal ones, meaning no LPCM 7.1.

Rtings dont seem overly impressed. They've graded it lower than the Q90R.

I don't think we have confirmation either way. DTS:X not working via eARC tells me that the eARC port is limited as the normal ones, meaning no LPCM 7.1.

Rtings report DTS:X working via eARC but no PCM 5.1 with HDMI IN. They state it specifically on the paragraph "However, note that 5.1 PCM files don't play on the center channel."

It's also weird the surrounds part, were they seem to test only the bar without the rear satellites.

TBH I'd like to get confirmation from Samsung that they're going to fix the PCM issue as it's a bit of a deal breaker for me, otherwise I love the bar, but I'm still inside the return window, and if they're not going to fix this, maybe I'll exchange it for a Q90R

Interesting. Even the Sonos guy in YouTube basically said it sounds better than the Q90R. Same for people here.

Rtings report DTS:X working via eARC but no PCM 5.1 with HDMI IN. They state it specifically on the paragraph "However, note that 5.1 PCM files don't play on the center channel."

It's also weird the surrounds part, were they seem to test only the bar without the rear satellites.

TBH I'd like to get confirmation from Samsung that they're going to fix the PCM issue as it's a bit of a deal breaker for me, otherwise I love the bar, but I'm still inside the return window, and if they're not going to fix this, maybe I'll exchange it for a Q90R
On the other hand people here say that DTS:X via eARC doesn't work.
There is so much uncertainty for such an expensive piece of kit.

The review standards are a bit meh. No comments on HDMI 2.1 either. The German site says it has it, the Sonos guy in YouTube said so also, but I didn't see anything specific in any other review.

Its got rated below Q90R for Movies. o_O

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom