Samsung HW-Q950T and HW-Q900T Soundbar - Review & Comments

I test it on my cx, i don't know about C9. Any settings on video i can show if needed.
I can confirm that Cyberpunk with Dolby Atmos Home Theater works over eARC, i.e. when starting the game the Dolby Atmos text is displayed.

With Borderlands 3 this doesn't happen for some unknown reason.
Also the Settings menu is unavailable with Home Theater, though not sure it's needed at all.

EARC set to enabled, Bitstream is on and finally passthrough is enabled.

I can confirm that Cyberpunk with Dolby Atmos Home Theater works over eARC, i.e. when starting the game the Dolby Atmos text is displayed.

Also the Settings menu is unavailable with Home Theater, though not sure it's needed at all.

Thanks for this. What's your Windows 10 version and the Dolby Access app version, if you don't mind?

Deleted

Mainly Standard with Dolby Atmos on the Series X. Anything other than Atmos I use Surround mode.
I thought it locked to Atmos and the effects weren’t used? If you set it to Surround that is what you hear in everything except Atmos?

Sep 15th. The auto update function needs a few weeks before it actually updates. If you want to update now you need to do it manually.
I downloaded the new firmware, and unzip it to a usb drive and put jt In the service outlet on the bar, nothing happened. Pulled the plug out, still nothing happened.
anybody else having this problem

Smartthings also dLes not update

Cananyone help me?

I downloaded the new firmware, and unzip it to a usb drive and put jt In the service outlet on the bar, nothing happened. Pulled the plug out, still nothing happened.
anybody else having this problem

Smartthings also dLes not update

Cananyone help me?
Did you extract it completely? I think it unzips a folder, but you have to put the contents of that folder on the root of the USB drive. Make sure the drive is formatted properly too (Try FAT32 if you didnt already).

Did you extract it completely? I think it unzips a folder, but you have to put the contents of that folder on the root of the USB drive. Make sure the drive is formatted properly too (Try FAT32 if you didnt already).
I tried FAT32, it worked. It installed in 1 minute. Did not restart 3 times. Is that everyones experience installing the update?

Can't have any sound with dolby atmos for home theater selected in windows sound option over eArc here, with a rtx3070
With a Q95A
only 5.1/7.1 works via eArc
For DAHT, have to pass via HDI IN from the barr

I thought it locked to Atmos and the effects weren’t used? If you set it to Surround that is what you hear in everything except Atmos?
Depends on the content you're watching/playing. Anything with a true Atmos soundtrack locks the system so you can't change the sound profile. But most games for example, aren't true Dolby Atmos, and because it's set at a system level the Xbox essentially emulates Atmos where it dosen't natively have a soundtrack.

The soundbar will show Dolby Atmos, but you can cycle between the different sound modes on the bar. If you have a game that isn't native Atmos, and you have surround enabled, you're essentially double emulating it, and it sounds terrible.

I always ensure my soundbar is set to Standard whenever my Xbox is turned on for that reason.

Depends on the content you're watching/playing. Anything with a true Atmos soundtrack locks the system so you can't change the sound profile. But most games for example, aren't true Dolby Atmos, and because it's set at a system level the Xbox essentially emulates Atmos where it dosen't natively have a soundtrack.

The soundbar will show Dolby Atmos, but you can cycle between the different sound modes on the bar. If you have a game that isn't native Atmos, and you have surround enabled, you're essentially double emulating it, and it sounds terrible.

I always ensure my soundbar is set to Standard whenever my Xbox is turned on for that reason.
This man has said all !!
Yes mate ! When playing an atmos game like Forza horizon 4 or cyberpunk, you HAVE TO put the bar on standard
Best sound possible

And I agree for all other use cases, surround + virtual ON is very nice !
Do you put surround for atmos movies too ? ( not trueHD I assume )

This man has said all !!
Yes mate ! When playing an atmos game like Forza horizon 4 or cyberpunk, you HAVE TO put the bar on standard
Best sound possible

So when you play games (which are very real Atmos btw, probably better than most movies that don't even bother to use height channels), you get the "Dolby Atmos" roll on the bar display, AND you can change sound modes?

Is this a development with this firmware only?

So when you play games (which are very real Atmos btw, probably better than most movies that don't even bother to use height channels), you get the "Dolby Atmos" roll on the bar display, AND you can change sound modes?

Is this a development with this firmware only?
Always been the case pal. Not new to this firmware.

If it's "real" Atmos, I can't change the sound mode at all.

A game like FH4 for example has a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. While playing that game you can't change from Surround to Standard or any of the sound modes, they are locked because it's True Atmos.
If you then played something like Fallout 4. It has no Atmos soundtrack, so you can change from Standard to Surround, whichever sound mode you want. But you need to remember this isn't true Atmos, so the Xbox is upscaling the audio to essentially fake Atmos. If you then activate any other sound mode other than Standard, you're essentially upscaling fake Atmos (double bubble) and it sounds awful, the image is ruined.

This man has said all !!
Best sound possible

I use Standard for all Atmos content, upscaled Atmos or True Native Atmos.

Everything else I used Surround. Not tried Virtual On yet, it seems crazy to me that a setting that makes the system sound better, would be disabled by default.

Are people 100% certain what Virtual actually does?

I use Standard for all Atmos content, upscaled Atmos or True Native Atmos.

Everything else I used Surround. Not tried Virtual On yet, it seems crazy to me that a setting that makes the system sound better, would be disabled by default.

Are people 100% certain what Virtual actually does?
I just updated and I cannot decide between adaptive and surround for non-atmos content. I think the bass kicks more in adaptive and overall I get a better "bubble feeling". On the other hand I think surround is more crisp an not too overloaded. Hmm decisions!^^

Always been the case pal. Not new to this firmware.

If it's "real" Atmos, I can't change the sound mode at all.

A game like FH4 for example has a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. While playing that game you can't change from Surround to Standard or any of the sound modes, they are locked because it's True Atmos.
If you then played something like Fallout 4. It has no Atmos soundtrack, so you can change from Standard to Surround, whichever sound mode you want. But you need to remember this isn't true Atmos, so the Xbox is upscaling the audio to essentially fake Atmos. If you then activate any other sound mode other than Standard, you're essentially upscaling fake Atmos (double bubble) and it sounds awful, the image is ruined.
There's a lot of misunderstanding here.

Are you using an Xbox or a computer? On the PC the bar shouldn't lock to Atmos if you just select the Atmos output. It should only trigger with real Atmos content.

The issue on PC is that you won't get Atmos in games with this bar, unless you (possibly) do CRU tricks.

Are you using an Xbox or a computer? On the PC the bar shouldn't lock to Atmos if you just select the Atmos output. It should only trigger with real Atmos content.

The issue on PC is that you won't get Atmos in games with this bar, unless you (possibly) do CRU tricks.
Series X. As per my first post pal.

And that's what I said, when it's true Atmos content, the sound mode is locked out.

So am I dreaming or has this update fixed the 7.1 LPCM and LG CX issue? Haven't had a tonne of time to test, but I'm getting sound from the rear channels where I didn't before (xbox SX), in standard mode.

Yes, on PC with a 3080, When I play forza horizon 4, which is supposed to be an atmos game, I CAN change audio modes, so atmos is not correctly managed, at least on PC, even with dolby atmos for home theater

Who is the faulty ? Dolby windows app or the bar ?

Series X. As per my first post pal.

And that's what I said, when it's true Atmos content, the sound mode is locked out.

Yes, on PC with a 3080, When I play forza horizon 4, which is supposed to be an atmos game, I CAN change audio modes, so atmos is not correctly managed, at least on PC, even with dolby atmos for home theater

Who is the faulty ? Dolby windows app or the bar ?
If the bar gets a stream it understand as Atmos, it should lock. As far as I understand both the Xbox and Windows behave the same (working in everything except games). There was a version of Dolby Access that would lock my TV on Atmos constantly, but would work with all games.

The interesting part is that even if it isn't locked, the height speakers work in Standard mode, which means that the bar is processing sound. I don't know how correct that processing is.

I have reported this issue to both Dolby and Samsung. Dolby told me it's an "aesthetic" issue, the Samsung support in Germany forwarded it to "HQ".

I would ask you do the same (report to both). Atmos is supposed to be object processing too (not just sending to channels), and I'm not exactly sure if this works if the bar isn't locked.

Although it will take me some time to be able to test, what you guys tell me is that the behaviour is the same. I'll try perhaps with the CRU trick later.

Last edited:
If the bar gets a stream it understand as Atmos, it should lock. As far as I understand both the Xbox and Windows behave the same (working in everything except games). There was a version of Dolby Access that would lock my TV on Atmos constantly, but would work with all games.

The interesting part is that even if it isn't locked, the height speakers work in Standard mode, which means that the bar is processing sound. I don't know how correct that processing is.

I have reported this issue to both Dolby and Samsung. Dolby told me it's an "aesthetic" issue, the Samsung support in Germany forwarded it to "HQ".

I would ask you do the same (report to both). Atmos is supposed to be object processing too (not just sending to channels), and I'm not exactly sure if this works if the bar isn't locked.

Although it will take me some time to be able to test, what you guys tell me is that the behaviour is the same. I'll try perhaps with the CRU trick later.
You need true Atmos for the bar to lock. Thats all, that it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom