Samsung HW-Q950T and HW-Q900T Soundbar - Review & Comments

AWESOME 4000

Standard Member
My setup is working to: Xbox series X to LG CX (03.21.16) with original xbox HDMI than from LG by eARC to Samsung HW-Q950T (firmware ver 1017.5) via samsung original HDMI.

Westgod

My setup is working to: Xbox series X to LG CX (03.21.16) with original xbox HDMI than from LG by eARC to Samsung HW-Q950T (firmware ver 1017.5) via samsung original HDMI.

Are you able to select Dolby Atmos as the sound output from your Series X when the TV audio output is set to "Passthrough"?

It should only work if the TV audio output is set to "Auto" but this introduces audio lag.

Westgod

T
Everything working after 2/9 Xbox update! This is for @PrMinisterGR since he and I were talking about this 2 months back, and for @AWESOME 4000 too since we were DM'ing about it, because he and I have same exact TV/sound setups. BLUF: before the update, if I connected straight to my LG CX TV, I couldn't get Atmos at the bar. If I connected straight to the bar, I could get Atmos, but lost 120FPS.

Now the detailed post. Before, with the Xbox Series S hooked straight to the bar, I could do 4K/60FPS/HDR/VRR/Atmos, but not 120FPS. Now I've got 120FPS! Before, with the Xbox Series X hooked straight to the LG CX TV, I could get 4K/120FPS/HDR/VRR but no Atmos. Xbox just wouldn't pass it. It would only do Dolby Digital. Now I've got Atmos! [One caveat: for Xbox game titles, if you connect Xbox straight to the bar, you're only going to have 1080p gameplay (movies will still be 4K though); however, connected straight to the TV, you will have 4K gameplay (or 2K, in my case, since I have Series S).

Before, it was a tradeoff of "do I want 4K/HDR gameplay and 120FPS by connecting straight to the TV, while sacrificing Atmos?" or "could I live with 4K/HDR gameplay and 60FPS by connecting straight to the bar, which gives me Atmos?" Now, I don't have to choose. Connecting straight to the TV gives me everything, including Atmos. No audio/dialogue delay, either. I. AM. STOKED.
This is amazing Jon. I have the same setup as you.

You definitely have the TV audio output set to "Passthrough" and not "Auto" and passes atmos no worries?

I'm away right now and can't wait to get home and test this for myself!

Crazydragon

Standard Member
T

This is amazing Jon. I have the same setup as you.

You definitely have the TV audio output set to "Passthrough" and not "Auto" and passes atmos no worries?

I'm away right now and can't wait to get home and test this for myself!
Set to Auto and now letting me select Atmos but now got a delay on AC Valhalla :-(

Crazydragon

Standard Member
Just hope it all gets resolved, have my 950t coming next week...
You will love it - XBox issue aside mine sounds amazing, it was a replacement to a 7.1 Yamaha wired system and I think this sounds better. Watched The Mandolorian on Disney plus and wow it sounds stunning

wyabcp

You will love it - XBox issue aside mine sounds amazing, it was a replacement to a 7.1 Yamaha wired system and I think this sounds better. Watched The Mandolorian on Disney plus and wow it sounds stunning
Hope so, I'm coming from a 8 year old Denon AVR 5.1...with boston acoustics..

AWESOME 4000

Standard Member
Thanks mate. Not that I dont believe you guys, just would love to see a video or something because i'm excited!
Yes bro, Digital sound out set to "auto" on my tv. But i can use dolby digital.
But i can swear, it working good with atmos and "auto" but few days ago, sound became aweful from xbox.

Last edited:

AWESOME 4000

Standard Member
Did you get any delay? I got some audio delay on Assassins Creed Valhalla and worse on Odyssey. R6 siege not great but bearable but needs to be better as the game relies on sound
I got delay, but when i switched to pass thought and DD and than back to auto and atmos, delay is minimal, but atmos - way better than DD even with delay.

sc1lcq

Hi everyone. I’ve just had a new virgin 360 box installed. Does anyone know if it’s best to have the Dolby audio setting on always convert, follow content, or disabled?

i know the tv should be on bitstream but not sure about virgin box option?

thanks

Haiko

Today I had a new issue. We were watching TV, switched the channel and sound was gone. It took a couple of seconds (sometime more than 10 seconds) and we could hear the sound again. Switching again and sound was gone again 😖
Finally I had to pull the power plug and reboot the soundbar. That solved the problem.

Did anyone else recognize such a problem before?

I already wrote Samsung support (I created a video), let's wait for the feedback.

spider_neil

I would really appreciate some help with my problem with the soundbar. I sometimes manage to get the Apple TV remote to control the volume of the soundbar. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why this happens. But just as annoying the functionality to control the volume with an Apple TV remote switches itself with no rhyme or reason. In the end, I just button mash to get it working again. Does anyone know how to connect the Apple remote so you can control the volume of the soundbar and what steps you need to do so I can repeat the process if the Apple remote disconnects itself?

Thanks in advance.

Inspiron21

Novice Member
Please can you help me then - I have XBOX series X >LG CX > Q950T and I have set up CX as:
Atmos - on
Sound out - ARC
DTV Audio - Auto
ALL HDMI set to Bitstream
Digital sound out - pass through
eARC - enabled

using dolby access XBox settings are
HDMI audio - bitstream out
Bitstream audio - this defaults to stereo

When I try to set Atmos in the XBox I get the error message "Your reciever doesn't support Dolby Atmos for home theatre" which it clearly does - I have certified brand new 2.1 HDMI cables so I know it is not that (I get beutiful HDR gaming on AC Valhalla)

What are your settings to get this? Any help will be greatly appreciated
Have you downloaded the Dolby Access app on your Xbox?
You will need to download this and click a few buttons to enable “Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre” in the app.
Cheers

Crazydragon

Standard Member
Have you downloaded the Dolby Access app on your Xbox?
You will need to download this and click a few buttons to enable “Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre” in the app.
Cheers
Yes it is installed but if I set it up with pass through on the CX it tells me the soundbar is not Atmos compatible. If I use auto on the CX I can choose Atmos but there is an audio delay

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Music revenue in U.S. sees vinyl sales overtake CD