Samsung HW-Q950T and HW-Q900T Soundbar - Review & Comments

11.1.4 ... more image elaboration? ... 🤗 ... definitely a good thing. Q950A sub "Space EQ"? ... at least they're trying to EQ it this time, hope it can be edited too though. And hoping they put a far better EQ on the bar this time. If they do and the firmware works acceptably I'll be very tempted to buy one.

View attachment 1438570

Zoomed it in and cleaned it up some, the display has not moved, same location but looks to be longer.

Bet this ends up being the best bar based surround system in 2021.
Is it me, or this bar doesn't have side speakers?
Unless the sides are fabric/transparent, it seems a bit weird, as the 11.1.4 support means it has Side+Wide, and I cannot see them anywhere. Or perhaps this bar is a lot wider than the Q950T. It gives me LG-wide vibes.

EDIT:

The company’s flagship soundbar features 11.1.4-channel audio and Dolby Atmos. The HW-Q950A will come with a 7.1.2-channel soundbar (with two height channels) and a separate 4.0.2 channel wireless speaker package that has side-firing drivers in addition to the top and bottom-firing drivers.

Samsung's new soundbars come with improved audio, Alexa, and AirPlay 2 - SamMobile

Thanks , great for you to reply.
I'm looking to get a LG 55CX or 55C1... console will plug straight into the tv, would that allow me to use Atmos in the games ?
It really depends on how the Xbox/PC send the signal. At this moment, you will not get Atmos in games, as of Dolby Access 3.7 (on the PC). This won't change if you plug the PC directly to the bar or to the TV.

Funny thing is, even though "Atmos" is not engaged, the computer still sends upward firing audio that actually sounds like Atmos. Can't wait for the firmware update.

LaCroix

Novice Member
Hello, If I buy an HDMI splitter with a cable to the TV to have only the video signal and another directly in the sound bar to have only the sound signal, will it work? Thank you.

wyabcp

Unless the sides are fabric/transparent, it seems a bit weird, as the 11.1.4 support means it has Side+Wide, and I cannot see them anywhere. Or perhaps this bar is a lot wider than the Q950T. It gives me LG-wide vibes.

EDIT:

Samsung's new soundbars come with improved audio, Alexa, and AirPlay 2 - SamMobile

It really depends on how the Xbox/PC send the signal. At this moment, you will not get Atmos in games, as of Dolby Access 3.7 (on the PC). This won't change if you plug the PC directly to the bar or to the TV.

Funny thing is, even though "Atmos" is not engaged, the computer still sends upward firing audio that actually sounds like Atmos. Can't wait for the firmware update.
cool, ta, so firmware will be provided to fixed the LPCM ?

going to hold fire to see what the new bar is like, also wait for firmware...

Mark52479

Standard Member
So they DID keep the screen on the top of the bar. I have actually gotten use to it and its easy to tell if Atmos is being displayed because you cant change the sound mode.

Now the million dollar question.........HDMI 2.1 with 4k hdr and 120hz?......................................

sc1lcq

So they DID keep the screen on the top of the bar. I have actually gotten use to it and its easy to tell if Atmos is being displayed because you cant change the sound mode.

Now the million dollar question.........HDMI 2.1 with 4k hdr and 120hz?......................................

they’ve kept it top of bar!? That’s mental. Must be a reason to do with the sound it can’t be a stupid oversight twice. Some justification of why would be great to hear

Mark52479

Standard Member
they’ve kept it top of bar!? That’s mental. Must be a reason to do with the sound it can’t be a stupid oversight twice. Some justification of why would be great to hear

if you zoom in on the picture you can clearly see the screen is still on the top.
Now since it is blurry i guess it is POSSIBLE those can be touch controls instead of the screen, but, you can clearly see NO SCREEN on the front of the bar.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 82

tigermad

Distinguished Member
if you zoom in on the picture you can clearly see the screen is still on the top.
Now since it is blurry i guess it is POSSIBLE those can be touch controls instead of the screen, but, you can clearly see NO SCREEN on the front of the bar.
The screen may be hidden behind the mesh like on the LG, we can but hope :)

Talkshowchris

11.1.4 ... more image elaboration? ... 🤗 ... definitely a good thing. Q950A sub "Space EQ"? ... at least they're trying to EQ it this time, hope it can be edited too though. And hoping they put a far better EQ on the bar this time. If they do and the firmware works acceptably I'll be very tempted to buy one.

View attachment 1438570

Zoomed it in and cleaned it up some, the display has not moved, same location but looks to be longer.

Bet this ends up being the best bar based surround system in 2021.
If this were to come out and be amazing, would you sell the Q950t then?
Wonder how much we'd get for a Q950t by the time this new one emerges?

JK27

Standard Member
Does anybody have any ideas how to feed legacy sound (cassette deck, turntable, DVD recorder — things that don’t have HDMI) into the Q950t soundbar? Obviously, only HDMI inputs on the soundbar itself. Does anybody use a receiver/amp as a legacy sound input/switcher? Thanks.

PlanetaryReference

If this were to come out and be amazing, would you sell the Q950t then?
Wonder how much we'd get for a Q950t by the time this new one emerges?

Tough question, bottom line is I was very happy with the sound of my old singles non-Atmos surround system, really didn't want to replace it, but not as good as Q950T with PC EQ processing. But bought Q950T mostly to future-proof my device connection options, and not because I needed or desired better sound quality with music. Plus to take the role of hub away from the TV. I'm used to PC-centric AV systems, and not TV-centric AV hubs dictating terms and obsolescence levels. Was not at all familiar with sound bars, considered them contemptible audio compromises actually. Then did some research and found Q950T just might make the grade as a full-range surround system. I was looking into a new Yamaha singles AV system prior to this. I wanted my PC as the media and audio device hub, that's what I'm used to and really like.

Q950T provided the connectivity options and superior surround image, plus Atmos and an OK-ish frequency response (that I could edit further on PC). But as it turns out it also had excellent resolution and incredible driver sensitivity (on the bar at least), and excellent efficient amps and high-power levels. I have the EQ dialed-in so perfectly on PC that I would really have to hesitate to sell it. I wish you could hear it from PC with Equalizer APO Chris, it's so far ahead of the system's internal adjustment possibilities. It does exactly what I'd hoped it would be able to do. Got to say I'm surprised that it beat my old system with music. And I was not even after an Atmos surround system, but Q950T has really changed that too. I still don't use Atmos from the PC yet with APO EQ, just from Xbox with System 7-band EQ, and even that sounds incredible just with the internal adjustment options. So there's another layer of onion to peel with Atmos from PC. I had to buy a new PC last week, my 3 year old one snuffed, so time to finally give Atmos on the PC a go.

But I'm good for connectivity needs until at least 2025, and possibly longer. That, and equaling my old system with music, was all Q950T had to do to make me happy. But it's far better than I'd hoped in all other areas too. Really needs sub mute though. That is such an incomprehensible feature omission on the remote.

I'd like to keep Q950T but may consider selling near 40% to 50% of the price I paid for Q950T ($1,615 AUD) so probably sell it at ~$750 AUD. Would not want to sell much lower though, better off to keep it another year or three in another room instead.

I'm expecting Q950A imaging and EQ to be overall noticeably better, but in the end I'll just be looking to try to replicate the sound I currently have. Hmm... so I may wait until Jan 2022, to decide whether to go with Q950A, at a lower price then, or go to the following model instead. But if I keep Q950T I know I won't be even a little bit disappointed with sound quality. Plus dreading more firmware issues with Q950A, which seems very likely.

I can't see myself buying a Q950A inside of about 9 months.

What about you? keeping Q950T? Buy a new one as well? Or going to sell Q950T and take a risk on a new model? My guess is it won't be much of a risk in the sound and imaging department, an early Steve Withers review of Q950A should clear that up for us, but it will be a significant risk on firmware and EQ options.

Last edited:

PlanetaryReference

Yup, what I was thinking, the speakers must be there, and the ends must be perforated and audio-transparent. I would not want to buy it if they're not both present.

And yes, it does look to be longer against the width of the sub. Presumably the height is about the same as the current bar, but the beveled structure extended at the front makes it look deeper as well.

So ... did they make the bar longer and deeper to fit a visually usable led display at the front, hidden under the fabric on the beveled area? No evidence but I'm guessing yes, because they're asking for a real slam if they didn't.

Last edited:

LaCroix

Novice Member
I don't see the point of changing every year. This sound bar fills me perfectly. Every year, Samsung makes minor improvements that I may not feel so if I have to buy every time to take the new model by selling the old one, it is absolutely not a viable solution including financial losses. related to resale and redemption.
I find the sound really excellent.
So I prefer to keep my soundbar and change when I feel the need to change with maybe new technologies and essential features in the future.

Closure12121

Standard Member
HW-Q900T has been the best buy after having tested 7 flagship soundbars (Samsung, LG, Sony). Nothing to complain. Works very well with LG CX 65". Imho I wouldn't even consider the rears unless you have decently distance behind your couch for them. Just writing my recommendation here, as it's the only device that actually deserves it so far after my 7 soundbars & 9 TVs 'buy & return project'.

Last edited:
Yup, what I was thinking, the speakers must be there, and the ends must be perforated and audio-transparent. I would not want to buy it if they're not both present.

And yes, it does look to be longer against the width of the sub. Presumably the height is about the same as the current bar, but the beveled structure extended at the front makes it look deeper as well.

So ... did they make the bar longer and deeper to fit a visually usable led display at the front, hidden under the fabric on the beveled area? No evidence but I'm guessing yes, because they're asking for a real slam if they didn't.
I think it's still on top lol.

I wonder what the side rears mean about the optimal angle for the rear speakers

sc1lcq

Interesting discovery last night. Was watching the king of comedy film (free on amazon prime if anyone wants to test). I was messing around with sound settings. In surround mode if you toggled virtual on and off there was a significant difference between the 2 and the sound would pause for a second as it adjusted so was actually doing something (unlike normally there is no sound break). Main difference I heard were rears were a lot louder and dialogue coming out of them but didn’t have it on for long to analyse other differences. Also I didn’t try in other modes such as standard or adaptive but will test more later to see if the noticeable difference/pause took effect. It’s the first time I’ve heard virtual actually do anything! Encourage you also try out and feedback!! :)

FYI I revisited this. The only sound setting where there is a difference is Surround. It doesn’t effect the other modes. It’s almost as if it creates stereo at the front and back. The change is really clear with a sound pause as you flick virtual on and off.

BayAreaAudiophile

FYI I revisited this. The only sound setting where there is a difference is Surround. It doesn’t effect the other modes. It’s almost as if it creates stereo at the front and back. The change is really clear with a sound pause as you flick virtual on and off.
Interesting! Do you like how it sounded with Virtual on?

sc1lcq

Interesting! Do you like how it sounded with Virtual on?

I tend to use adaptive mostly so am not overly familiar with how surround usually sounds but with virtual on it had dialogue coming out of all speakers including the rears! So no didn’t really like it, better without it in that scenario!

antsims

Distinguished Member
Just to let you all know, I’ve set up a dedicated thread for the Q950A so we don’t confuse newer members by talking about it in this, the Q950T thread.

antsims

Distinguished Member

Just one more discussion here, I think in the new photo, what you can see along the top, is the control panel buttons. With all previous Samsung’s, the display panel cannot be seen across the front, until something is activated and then it scrolls across the metal in the front. Perhaps we can continue this discussion here. Samsung HW-Q950A Thread 11.1.4!

PlanetaryReference

Yeah, slipped into gratuitous optimism there ... sorry ... won't happen again. 😆

They should just remove the display, people don't need that, just think they do. Maybe we can train a dog to watch the screen and relay what it sees via barks and doggy behavior? May become difficult to parse that from say licking its crotch. What would that even signify? The pooch version of a thumbs-up? At the risk of being offensively optimistic once more perhaps the bar pushes full input setting, mode and format plus the bandwidth quality out to the app, this time around? ........................ nah!

That's just crazy talk.

Good question re rear orientations. Seems like it would require speakers facing the listener at 135 deg and 225 deg from their nose. That's where mine are located, but lots of people would not be able to do this. No complaints about Q950T rears, but good to see they're working on making them even better. I'm actually keen to hear the result, it would work well in my room ... but then I'd have to buy one ...

/wallet-emptied-via-trinket 🆕 📻 😋

@ Closure12121 no rears is fine for music, maybe even TV and most movies. I often listen to stereo music in Standard mode, which does not use the rears, and it does sound excellent, although I EQ it through a PC to get it sounding so good. But music is not going to work well for the 9.1.4 oriented modes the Q950T can do, especially Surround mode. And if a 2D surround-sound or 3D (ish) Atmos 'bubble' effect is desired that needs Q950T rears. For a person who plays 3D games the rears are not optional. Q900T would not be suitable for me, unless it at least had the add-on (non-Atmos) rears. That would be OK, and I could probably live with the sound they make. Same for surround movie soundtracks and same for TV surround. But that is not enough for Atmos movies and games. For me I couldn't consider buying an AV system without rear surround speaker Atmos now (6 months ago I would not have cared about Atmos, my singles-system ignorance was bliss), but Q950T brings that full Atmos bubble so it's a bigger difference than you realize. Definitely worth the extra $400 AUD to get it. The only disappointment is the low number of games with Atmos or DTS:X thus far, but definitely Atmos is the audio direction for big title game productions from here. I'd defy anyone to listen to Gears of War 5 without being astounded by Q950T's sound bubble and high-impact surround. Won't get that mega sound image with the rear power plugs pulled.

Bwlmog

Hi all, having a problem setting the bar up with my TV through Arc. Whenever I go into the TV settings and audio I have a choice of TV speakers, AV or HW-950T wireless. If I select AV then no sound plays and I don't seem to have the option to play the bar with Sky in any other mode than wireless.

I currently have Apple TV and Nvidia Shield plug in directly to the bar with Sky and PS5 going through the Samsung Smartbox into the TV and soundbar via Arc.

Any ideas how I fix this? I've tried changing the settings to PCM and DTS on the TV and tried all three audio options on sky.

Thanks in advance

Kojihama

Standard Member
Hey all,

Long time lurker first time poster. So I recently also bought this soundbar and even with the basic settings it's amazing compared to my old 20 year old 5.1's. I have a Samsung Q80T TV so they integrated seamlessly.. I didn't have many issues as I did a lot of reading up beforehand.. subs/rears connected easily, smart things setup took a few goes but I think it was my ISP being flakey than the process itself.

I found the EQ settings and that's made these awesome speakers even better.

This is my current setup at the moment:
HW950T -> eARC (hdmi2.1 cable) -> Q80T eARC port
PS4 -> hdmi2.1 cable -> Q80T port 4
-- PS4 is configured to Bitstream Dolby
-- Q80T/soundbar "digital output audio format" is set to auto on the TV's setting / sound menu.

I've set it up this way in anticipation of getting a PS5 and using 4k/120hz so I can just unplug the PS4 and plug in the PS5.

Just a question regarding 5.1 / Dolby...

When playing Blu-rays on the PS4, is there any way to visualise if it's Dolby5.1 is there on the TV/soundbar? I mean, I press the triangle on the PS4 controller and it says it's DTS-MA (tried some recent Avengers and Bond movies). I use the settings menu highlight bar (the quick popup bar) the audio says "undefined audio". When I watch TV it says Dolby Digital 2.0.

I can hear the rears... I just can't SEE the setting. In the expert sound settings "digital output audio format" I can see PCM/auto/passthrough.

Oh i'm watching movies in surround at the moment, I just feel it sounds better. Not sure if this influences if it's Dolby or if it's in relation to how the soundbar modifies sounds.

Any guidance on the above appreciated.

Cheers

Rivdoric

Standard Member
Hey all,

Long time lurker first time poster. So I recently also bought this soundbar and even with the basic settings it's amazing compared to my old 20 year old 5.1's. I have a Samsung Q80T TV so they integrated seamlessly.. I didn't have many issues as I did a lot of reading up beforehand.. subs/rears connected easily, smart things setup took a few goes but I think it was my ISP being flakey than the process itself.

I found the EQ settings and that's made these awesome speakers even better.

This is my current setup at the moment:
HW950T -> eARC (hdmi2.1 cable) -> Q80T eARC port
PS4 -> hdmi2.1 cable -> Q80T port 4
-- PS4 is configured to Bitstream Dolby
-- Q80T/soundbar "digital output audio format" is set to auto on the TV's setting / sound menu.

I've set it up this way in anticipation of getting a PS5 and using 4k/120hz so I can just unplug the PS4 and plug in the PS5.

Just a question regarding 5.1 / Dolby...

When playing Blu-rays on the PS4, is there any way to visualise if it's Dolby5.1 is there on the TV/soundbar? I mean, I press the triangle on the PS4 controller and it says it's DTS-MA (tried some recent Avengers and Bond movies). I use the settings menu highlight bar (the quick popup bar) the audio says "undefined audio". When I watch TV it says Dolby Digital 2.0.

I can hear the rears... I just can't SEE the setting. In the expert sound settings "digital output audio format" I can see PCM/auto/passthrough.

Oh i'm watching movies in surround at the moment, I just feel it sounds better. Not sure if this influences if it's Dolby or if it's in relation to how the soundbar modifies sounds.

Any guidance on the above appreciated.

Cheers

I'm in the same boat as you, playing PS4, having to use Lossy DTS or Dolby because LPCM .....
Just out of curiosity : why did you choose dolby over dts ?
Thank you.

Westgod

Anyone else feel like we should all be contacting samsung support again to remind them we need LPCM support? I wouldn't put it past samsung to rest on their laurels on this one.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Polk launches React soundbar with Alexa
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett