Samsung HW-Q950T and HW-Q900T Soundbar - Review & Comments

ManuBBXX

Standard Member
Good question. If next years model can passthrough HDR+4K+120hz then I might have to bite the bullet....

I just bought (fortunately for 1k€) q950t, very happy with it, but, oh yeah, if it TRULY have 2.1 support for both HDMI IN and OUT, I will just sell Q950T for this next upgrade !

Last edited:

GeorgeP NZ

Standard Member
I've been out of this thread for a while. Had a quick flick through but I couldn't find much.
Has there been any solution to getting Atmos on the bar and 120fps HDR on the TV from a Series X?
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a CX but can't justify it if I have to pick between HDR 120fps and Atmos.
All 3 bits of kit hold part of the frustration.
Samsung for not allowing 2.1 passthrough.
LG for not passing through true Atmos.
And xbox for not including an audio specific hdmi port given the hardware limitations there is out there.
Are there AV units that can passthrough True Atmos and 120fps/vrr/hdr? Suspect that will be an expensive solution to a problem that really shouldn't exist at this market level - or is this the uneducated part of talking and the hardware simply isn't there to do this?

avher0

Novice Member
Just got my Q950T. Interestingly, my unit seems to be manufactured in Oct/Nov and it comes with 1017.5 firmware installed out of the box (based on Smartthings app > soundbar > Information).

I have some questions which I hope people who are more knowledgeable than me can help.

1. When playing DTS audio formats e.g. DTS-HD MA, is the status display on the top of the unit supposed to show DTS-HD or something like that?
My movie collections are mostly in DTS related audio format, and when I played few of them to test (via Kodi 18), the status display did not show anything at all.
I played Dolby Atmos clip from Dolby Access app in Windows 10, and the status display showed Dolby Atmos.

I tried DTS:X file I downloaded from internet and played it, also didn't show anything.

Any ideas?

My HTPC is NUC i5 from 2014
Windows 10, installed Dolby Access to be able to configure Atmos
Kodi 18, set Audio and passthrough device to WASAPI, channel 7.1, turn on all audio formats under Passthrough section
The NUC is connected to HDMI 1, then my TV ARC is connected soundbar HDMI Arc.
Currently, using Adaptive Sound mode.

2. Related to number 1, is there a way to find out what audio format it is currently playing? I cannot see it in Smartthings app..

3. What mode do you use for best sounding experience?
I watched a reviewer said Adaptive, but then I saw PlanetaryReference user's "scientific-based" preset for Surround mode (doesn't apply/work for Adaptive mode?)

4. I know for now LPCM is not supported, so not ideal for gamers out there.
Just wondering for PS5, can't you simply choose Bitstream Dolby to get multichannel (lossless?) sound?
According to PS5 FAQ blog, it supports Dolby True-HD.
Is bitstream sound noticeably worse than if it's using LPCM?

5. Is there any minimum gaps I need to be aware of when placing the subwoofer?

Thanks !

Chaybee1

Just got my Q950T. Interestingly, my unit seems to be manufactured in Oct/Nov and it comes with 1017.5 firmware installed out of the box (based on Smartthings app > soundbar > Information).

I have some questions which I hope people who are more knowledgeable than me can help.

1. When playing DTS audio formats e.g. DTS-HD MA, is the status display on the top of the unit supposed to show DTS-HD or something like that?
My movie collections are mostly in DTS related audio format, and when I played few of them to test (via Kodi 18), the status display did not show anything at all.
I played Dolby Atmos clip from Dolby Access app in Windows 10, and the status display showed Dolby Atmos.

I tried DTS:X file I downloaded from internet and played it, also didn't show anything.

Any ideas?

Kodi 18, set Audio and passthrough device to WASAPI, channel 7.1, turn on all audio formats under Passthrough section

2. Related to number 1, is there a way to find out what audio format it is currently playing? I cannot see it in Smartthings app..

I watched a reviewer said Adaptive, but then I saw PlanetaryReference user's "scientific-based" preset for Surround mode (doesn't apply/work for Adaptive mode?)

Just wondering for PS5, can't you simply choose Bitstream Dolby to get multichannel (lossless?) sound?

Thanks !
Regular DTS will not show up on the display however DTS:X always shows up for me via disks. It's possible that the file you downloaded is not truly DTS:X. Another way to test is when an Atmos or DTS:X source is being played you will not be able to change the sound modes.

Last edited:

Haiko

I tried a couple of downloaded files and only 1 Atmos MP4 was working and showed Atmos in the display. I couldn't find any DTS:X file in the Internet.

jms_uk

Another day another Samsung quirk.. so, acoustically the kit is great but the software makes me die a little more each day.

I tried the built-in Alexa again today to play some music from my Amazon Music Unlimited. Plays okay, excepting that there are still short drop outs, but I also determined that the Sound modes don't work properly when doing this, e.g. the upmixing when using "surround" or "adaptive".. rear speakers don't work.. if I play music from my nvidia shield with the same songs (stereo mp3 rips from my cd originals) using the same sound modes, all good!

..so, another implementation fail from Samsung..

So frustrating the software is so buggy when the hardware is ace!

Haiko

Yes, software is really buggy. Just today I tried again Amazon music and TuneIn. I heard 'Radio station xyz will be played' or 'Song xyz will be played' and afterwards... Silence. I could see in the Smartthings app that music was played but I couldn't hear anything.
As before the solution was to remove the power cord. No good solution at all.

Now I installed a remote controlled power plug to easily 'reboot' the soundbar. Hope they will fix this soon (again I wrote a mail to my Samsung support guy)

avher0

Novice Member
Is there any way to play Youtube Music via Wifi, not Bluetooth?
Or streaming music via wifi only work with Amazon Music and Spotify?

Audio quality when streaming music via wifi is much better than via Bluetooth, I tested.

I noticed that LG SN11RG supports google assistant and that definitely opens up more stuff..
Contemplating to switch to the LG now (not to mention LG supports multichannel LPCM unlike Samsung one), but unsure if the sound quality is comparable / as good as Q950T.. from I read Q950T has a better sound quality?

Rivdoric

Standard Member
Hello,

Any news from Samsung concerning LPCM 5.1 support ? I just saw that a lot of my concert blurays including AC DC classic live at donington had LPCM 5.1 only..... Or low-end AC3 640....
Don't even want to play it now....

BeefS2

Is there any way to play Youtube Music via Wifi, not Bluetooth?
Or streaming music via wifi only work with Amazon Music and Spotify?

Audio quality when streaming music via wifi is much better than via Bluetooth, I tested.

I noticed that LG SN11RG supports google assistant and that definitely opens up more stuff..
Contemplating to switch to the LG now (not to mention LG supports multichannel LPCM unlike Samsung one), but unsure if the sound quality is comparable / as good as Q950T.. from I read Q950T has a better sound quality?
Yes. The q950t has better sound quality. I found the sn11rg to be lacking in the midrange and inconsistent during action scenes (explosions didn’t always hit). It was reliable, had lpcm support, and had a good immersive bubble. On pure sound quality though the q950t was a pretty big step up for me.

Bwlmog

Finally set mine up and whilst I haven't altered the original settings yet. Next on list of things to figure out, the sound is very impressive.

Listened to the open 10 mins of Saving Private Ryan and the emersion created, particularly through the rear speakers was superb.

jms_uk

Another day another Samsung quirk.. so, acoustically the kit is great but the software makes me die a little more each day.

I tried the built-in Alexa again today to play some music from my Amazon Music Unlimited. Plays okay, excepting that there are still short drop outs, but I also determined that the Sound modes don't work properly when doing this, e.g. the upmixing when using "surround" or "adaptive".. rear speakers don't work.. if I play music from my nvidia shield with the same songs (stereo mp3 rips from my cd originals) using the same sound modes, all good!

..so, another implementation fail from Samsung..

So frustrating the software is so buggy when the hardware is ace!
One factory reset later and music playback via the built in Alexa and amazon music is again working with the surround and adaptive modes across the rear speakers.. Phew!

..it does suck that factory resetting is needed when things like this happen but at least its relatively quick to do :thumbsup:

Haiko

One factory reset later and music playback via the built in Alexa and amazon music is again working with the surround and adaptive modes across the rear speakers.. Phew!

..it does suck that factory resetting is needed when things like this happen but at least its relatively quick to do :thumbsup:
Usually unplug the power cord is enough. So I can keep my settings 😀

Giovanni76

Standard Member

Any ideas?

Thanks !

Your first question regarding DTS: with DTS HD-MA it will play it, but it will not show on the display. Only DTS-X and Dolby Atmos will show ones at the start, on the display.

Here you can find real DTS-X demo to download and test:

Your Ps5 question: i have it on Bistream and i get great surround sound on the Samsung HW-Q950T. The surround sound i find better on the Ps5 then the Ps4 Pro i had.

On Ps5 you can put the output as AV 7.1. That is what i use with the soundbar.

Bwlmog

Is there a way of limiting the soundbar volume? Twice this evening my fat fingers have hit the volume bar in the app and pushed the sound to 100 and it scared the dog to death

sc1lcq

Interesting discovery last night. Was watching the king of comedy film (free on amazon prime if anyone wants to test). I was messing around with sound settings. In surround mode if you toggled virtual on and off there was a significant difference between the 2 and the sound would pause for a second as it adjusted so was actually doing something (unlike normally there is no sound break). Main difference I heard were rears were a lot louder and dialogue coming out of them but didn’t have it on for long to analyse other differences. Also I didn’t try in other modes such as standard or adaptive but will test more later to see if the noticeable difference/pause took effect. It’s the first time I’ve heard virtual actually do anything! Encourage you also try out and feedback!! :)

PlanetaryReference

Is there a way of limiting the soundbar volume? Twice this evening my fat fingers have hit the volume bar in the app and pushed the sound to 100 and it scared the dog to death

lol ... yeah, the remote control.

This is exactly why I won't use a touch screen app with a 550 watt sound system.

Haiko

I'm using the app too to control the volume. But in general by a scenario and I have put a widget on my home screen. By that I'm avoiding to increase the volume too much.
Screenshot_20210110_113943_com.samsung.android.oneconnect.jpgScreenshot_20210110_113939_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpg

PlanetaryReference

11.1.4 ... more image elaboration? ... 🤗 ... definitely a good thing. Q950A sub "Space EQ"? ... at least they're trying to EQ it this time, hope it can be edited too though. And hoping they put a far better EQ on the bar this time. If they do and the firmware works acceptably I'll be very tempted to buy one.

Q950A.png

Zoomed it in and cleaned it up some, the display has not moved, same location but looks to be longer.

Bet this ends up being the best bar based surround system in 2021.

Last edited:

wyabcp

eARC supports the exact same formats as the normal ports. The question is more what your TV supports.

Lacking LPCM is kind of a big deal as to get proper multi-channel audio you must ensure that the bar always gets a bitstreamed format. It seems to cause issues mainly with gaming up to this point, but setting the audio output of my PC to "Atmos for Home Theater", seems to ensure a bitstreamed format is sent. I do the same with my PS4 Pro by setting it to "DTS".

LPCM would be desirable as devices like the PS4 Pro don't have non-lossy alternatives to DTS/DD+. It would also make future compatibility with pretty much everything a breeze. I don't know how the Series X behaves, but other people in this thread might. I suspect it's not that much different than my PC, so setting the output to "Atmos for Home Theater" might do the trick for you. The best way to know is to check yourself or ask people here.
It's also a good idea to know beforehand how you would prefer to have the equipment setup.

In my case, I want everything plugged on the TV, and then the TV to just forward the audio as it comes to the soundbar. Until Samsung enables LPCM and Dolby/Microsoft fix the mess they did with Dolby Access, that is a bit unfeasible. It might also be unfeasible with TVs that don't support DTS, but in that case I think that a dedicated media player directly connected to the bar is the best way to go.
Thanks , great for you to reply.
I'm looking to get a LG 55CX or 55C1... console will plug straight into the tv, would that allow me to use Atmos in the games ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett