Samsung HW-Q950A Thread 11.1.4!

Have you tried the other HDMI ports on the bar and a different HDMI cable? If your still having issues you might need to try to reset the X700 and maybe the bar. But I have had no issues with the HDMI ports on the bar. Also depending on what order you turn things on it could cause issues with the HDMI connection process.
Solved it, it was the TV... had to turn of Enhanced HDMI to show the menu, strange. I had it turned on for Apple TV anyways for 60Hz support. It's such a mess all these formats today, nothing is unified properly and one thing may work while other will not be able to communicate.

Sony is the only manufacture currently claiming 4K 120 fps support. Klipsch is 'boasting' 8K pass through, but it is only 8K 30 fps (ie HDMI 2.0) pass through (pretty shady to make it seem like 8K 60 fps was supported)
Indeed- Sony though don’t claim 4K/120 in the specifications- only in the features - which is what I find a bit weird.

Had to turn it off? Does it work if you leave that enabled, but disable the 4K Upscale Setting on the player instead?
Tried all the options, upscale off and on, Auto 1 or Auto 2... doesn't work unless enhanced HDMI is off. The only way it works is if I go with fixed resolution from the player that's less than 4K... like 1080p.

I would happily connect ATV to the TV and go with ARC to the bar, but problem is surround has issues via ARC, some movies are missing center channel and some are just sounding completely wrong. Oh well, at least I know which options I need to switch on and off.

Tried all the options, upscale off and on, Auto 1 or Auto 2... doesn't work unless enhanced HDMI is off. The only way it works is if I go with fixed resolution from the player that's less than 4K... like 1080p.

I would happily connect ATV to the TV and go with ARC to the bar, but problem is surround has issues via ARC, some movies are missing center channel and some are just sounding completely wrong. Oh well, at least I know which options I need to switch on and off.
Something sounds defective. 4K@50/60 HDR works on the ATV using the same cable and plugged into the same soundbar input port that you were using for the player?

Indeed- Sony though don’t claim 4K/120 in the specifications- only in the features - which is what I find a bit weird.
Ah okay I didn’t ever look at the specs of the bar yet only what Sony was saying.

Anyone with an LG CX/GX on the latest firmware (03.23.35) and an Xbox Series X can check if "Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre" can be enabled on the XSX with "Digital Audio Out" set to "Passthrough" on the TV?

Last edited:
Anyone with an LG CX/GX on the latest firmware (03.23.35) and an Xbox Series X can check if "Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre" can be enabled on the XSX with "Digital Audio Out" set to "Passthrough" on the TV?
If it helps, my LG G1 has Version 03.15.95, and that issue was not solved yet

Last edited:
If it helps, my LG G1 has Version 03.15.95, and that issue was not solved yet
Thanks for the confirmation. I doubt it has been fixed on the CX/GX then.

Are you connecting the Switch directly to the soundbar, or to the LG CX? If you're connecting to the CX, try connecting to the soundbar directly instead, as a test.

A while back, someone gave me the EDID that the CX advertises on its HDMI ports when the soundbar is connected via eARC, and I've noticed that it doesn't contain a Speaker Allocation Data Block (SADB), which by the spec is required to be supplied when multi-channel LPCM is supported. The SADB identifies which speakers are available for LPCM use. With that missing, the source device has to guess at which speakers the soundbar supports, and may simply guess wrong.
When the switch is connected to the sound bar it works fine. When it’s connected to an HDMI spot on the tv that’s when it “guesses wrong” on the speaker locations. I cannot keep the switch plugged into the back because I am using both HDMI ports on the sound bar. I have found a work around I think works as I would like it. When it’s plugged into the tv if I put the switch in automatic and switch the sound bar to surround it seams to be giving the right 5.1 channel info. Played Mario golf last tonight and the club hitting the ball sounds like it coming from the back speakers and most of the other action is coming from the bar. Sounds really good actually for the Switch. I am happy with that.

Last edited:
When the switch is connected to the sound bar it works fine. When it’s connected to an HDMI spot on the tv that’s when it “guesses wrong” on the speaker locations. I cannot keep the switch plugged into the back because I am using both HDMI ports on the sound bar. I have find a work around I think works as I would like it. When it’s plugged into thug if I put the switch in automatic and switch the sound bar to surround it seams to be giving the right 5.1 channel info. Played Mario golf las tonight and the club hitting the ball sounds like it coming from the back speakers and most of the other action is coming from the bar. Sounds really good actually for the Switch. I am happy with that.
Can you not just plug the switch into the soundbar and plug something else into the TV?

Can you not just plug the switch into the soundbar and plug something else into the TV?
No, I have my 4k player in one port and my sharc in the other. If I don’t use the sharc and use the earc mode directly with the sound bar then it introduces major lag on my Xbox and I have to leave the tv in auto (which Introduces the lag) as atmos does not work with the Xbox and earc pass through with my tv and the sound bar. I guess that’s a common issue with the sound bar and CX.

Thanks for the confirmation. I doubt it has been fixed on the CX/GX then.
It does the exact same thing on my CX. The only way around it that I have found is to purchase the Thenaudio Sharc. It’s pricey but it lets me do pass through earc with no lag on my Xbox.

No, I have my 4k player in one port and my sharc in the other. If I don’t use the sharc and use the earc mode directly with the sound bar then it introduces major lag on my Xbox and I have to leave the tv in auto (which Introduces the lag) as atmos does not work with the Xbox and earc pass through with my tv and the sound bar. I guess that’s a common issue with the sound bar and CX.
If you are fine with no DTS support, you can plug the Blu-ray player into the TV. Also the XSX issue is from the LG TV. The C9 had this issue and LG fixed it, but they haven't done this on the CX/C1 yet.

If you are fine with no DTS support, you can plug the Blu-ray player into the TV. Also the XSX issue is from the LG TV. The C9 had this issue and LG fixed it, but they haven't done this on the CX/C1 yet.
I’d rather have DTS support. Like I said I think they way I have the switch setup gives me the 5.1 sound I was looking for. Between that and no DTS support I’ll take the switch in surround mode on the tv.

All of you that have PS5/XboxSX, what sound settings do you have on the console? 5.1 or 7.1 PCM? I'm currently using surround mode and can't tell which is better for either console

All of you that have PS5/XboxSX, what sound settings do you have on the console? 5.1 or 7.1 PCM? I'm currently using surround mode and can't tell which is better for either console
I just use LPCM and whatever the game supports usually 7.1 channel. Working great in adaptive mode. Surround mode is also a good option. I haven't really noticed the upscaling doing anything wrong for the sound speaker placement. The adaptive might be kinda detecting its a game and not doing much to upscale it.

I just use LPCM and whatever the game supports usually 7.1 channel. Working great in adaptive mode. Surround mode is also a good option. I haven't really noticed the upscaling doing anything wrong for the sound speaker placement. The adaptive might be kinda detecting its a game and not doing much to upscale it.
My Xbox sounds fine when set to 7.1 on the console and adaptive or surround on the bar but when the PS5 is set to adaptive on 7.1 it sounds really quiet, I've brought this up before but I still don't think it's fixed.

If you have a PS5 and get chance to test it, set the audio output to 7.1, the soundbar to adaptive then play something like a shooter. The gun sound is really quiet in relation to the rest of the sounds but on surround mode it seems fine

My Xbox sounds fine when set to 7.1 on the console and adaptive or surround on the bar but when the PS5 is set to adaptive on 7.1 it sounds really quiet, I've brought this up before but I still don't think it's fixed.

If you have a PS5 and get chance to test it, set the audio output to 7.1, the soundbar to adaptive then play something like a shooter. The gun sound is really quiet in relation to the rest of the sounds but on surround mode it seems fine
Yeah I mentioned this in the past it sounds fine to me in any sound mode. But I have never thought that just gun sounds were quieter than other sounds from the game. You might be getting confused with LPCM being a general quieter sound codec vs Dolby/DTS. I turn up the volume like 3 ticks for PS5 compared to when I watch YT on the TV

Yeah I mentioned this in the past it sounds fine to me in any sound mode. But I have never thought that just gun sounds were quieter than other sounds from the game. You might be getting confused with LPCM being a general quieter sound codec vs Dolby/DTS. I turn up the volume like 3 ticks for PS5 compared to when I watch YT on the TV
Yeah I understand that it's quieter in general but something is definitely off, if I turn up the volume to compensate then environmental sounds in a game become too loud. Maybe it's something not right on my bar then as it's the same on both Xbox and PS5.

Even the menu navigation tone on the PS5 is really quiet but the menu music is loud on adaptive

I've noticed that LPCM 7.1 sounds quieter than LPCM 5.1 when using the same sound mode. Although I still use 7.1, I havent been able to figure out what's better between that and 5.1. Since the last two firmware updates, I've been using Surround and I like it better.

Sony released their new firmware for the PS5 today which enables 3D audio for TV speaker. They are apparently working on the 3D audio for sound system, so I wonder if it will make any difference.

@alastair113 about this issue @andykillsu is refering to,

have you tried the new CX/C1 firmware released past-yesterday?

@polys643 asked about before: "Anyone with an LG CX/GX on the latest firmware (03.23.35) and an Xbox Series X can check if "Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre" can be enabled on the XSX with "Digital Audio Out" set to "Passthrough" on the TV?"

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom