Samsung HW-Q950A Thread 11.1.4!

Have you guys seen the recently announced Sony HT-A9 speaker system? Looks very interesting. The lack of centre speaker is a bit weird but looks like a good concept
Looks like you need a 2021 Sony tv to act as the centre channel. I’m out!

You do realise that YouTube can only output in stereo?
The effect that you got was stereo being upscaled in Adaptive/Surround and then played neat in Standard.
YouTube has full Atmos capabilities. On the A90J, the YT app outputs in Dolby Digital+. I watched the Atmos demo and DOLBY ATMOS came across the bar and it 100% had overhead effects.

I am wondering if there is a Neural-X option available or adaptive does the job of Neural-X?
There isn't true DTS-Neural:X or Dolby Surround support, that more of an AVR thing (though would be nice), but that it pretty much what all the other modes except standard do, it will upscale to 11.1.4 from whatever it is getting.

There isn't true DTS-Neural:X or Dolby Surround support, that more of an AVR thing (though would be nice), but that it pretty much what all the other modes except standard do, it will upscale to 11.1.4 from whatever it is getting.

Ok thanks. Asked because LG supported it.

YouTube has full Atmos capabilities. On the A90J, the YT app outputs in Dolby Digital+. I watched the Atmos demo and DOLBY ATMOS came across the bar and it 100% had overhead effects.

YT is Stereo.

YouTube TV will be rolling out 5.1 soon.

Wondering if it was adaptive mode in the bar that was doing the upmixing?

YT is Stereo.

YouTube TV will be rolling out 5.1 soon.

Wondering if it was adaptive mode in the bar that was doing the upmixing?

Why don't you watch this on your TV and see what you hear since you don't think YT supports Atmos.

They have supported it for years, just like they support 8K 60 fps back in 2015...

Why don't you watch this on your TV and see what you hear since you don't think YT supports Atmos.

They have supported it for years, just like they support 8K 60 fps back in 2015...

Mate,

YT are going to introduce 5 1 audio via YouTube TV.. At present, YT is 2.0. For a second, your post questioned my understanding. I just checked and I get nice stereo in standard mode and augmented sound via Adaptive mode.

Hi, I don't know if this question has been answered already on this thread. I was wondering whether the Xbox Series X when connected directly to the Q950A, does it pass through VRR or Freesync signals to an ARC only TV?

Also, is everybody using the HDMI cable included with the soundbar or are you guys using a hi-speed 40GB plus cable to the TV?

I was wondering whether the Xbox Series X when connected directly to the Q950A, does it pass through VRR or Freesync signals to an ARC only TV?
I have a PC with an Nvidia card connected directly to the Q950A, and enabling Freesync Ultimate on my Q90R TV, G-Sync compatibility works fine.

This plays in stereo on any device.
There is no Atmos rollout on YouTube yet, on any device.
If your TV is doing some artificial processing to make the audio into Atmos then I'd turn that off as fast as I do with motion processing on a new TV.

Just FYI, the 7-point Equalizer controls only apply to Standard mode, and only affect the Left and Right channels. The Bass and Treble controls are ignored in Standard mode, they only apply to Surround, Adaptive and Game modes, and affect the Left, Center and Right channels. You can see some measurements in that post.

Hey Andy. Virtual mode on or off when using adaptive and surround modes ?

Hey Andy. Virtual mode on or off when using adaptive and surround modes ?
It shouldn’t matter because you will be using the rear speakers.

Virtual has nothing to do with using or not using the rear speakers, as is also the case with the 950T.
Yes it does, It’s a feature to give you virtual surround when you don’t have rear speakers. It’s a standard feature the include on lower end soundbars that don’t have them. So if you don’t have your Q950A rears plugged in, you can use it. Otherwise it won’t do anything.

Yes it does, It’s a feature to give you virtual surround when you don’t have rear speakers. It’s a standard feature the include on lower end soundbars that don’t have them. So if you don’t have your Q950A rears plugged in, you can use it. Otherwise it won’t do anything.
Have you tried Virtual with the rears connected and without then?
It certainly does make a difference with them connected, as is well documented on the 950T forum.
There has never been an official word from Samsung about exactly what Virtual does on the Q950 soundbars, but it's definitely not dependent on rears.

It seems as if Virtual is an added virtualisation for the surround features, which some owners prefer (myself not included).

Hi all, I am currently considering purchase of either HW Q950A or HW Q900A to complement my LG OLED65CX (so no Q-symphony). From what I understand, they have the same base units and subwoofers, bar the satellites. As seen in pictures, my sofa is pushed against a back wall. The only place for the rear speakers would be wall mounted on the sides on the sofa, marked with the yellow squares, thus they would in fact be side speakers rather than rear speakers. Now my question is - is there a point in getting Q950A over Q900A with such speaker placement. Or should I forget the "rear speakers" and go for Q900A (or should I consider some other alternative, like Sonos Arc+Sub)? Any help is appreciated.
IMG_2295.JPEG

IMG_2296.JPEG

Hi all, I am currently considering purchase of either HW Q950A or HW Q900A to complement my LG OLED65CX (so no Q-symphony). From what I understand, they have the same base units and subwoofers, bar the satellites. As seen in pictures, my sofa is pushed against a back wall. The only place for the rear speakers would be wall mounted on the sides on the sofa, marked with the yellow squares, thus they would in fact be side speakers rather than rear speakers. Now my question is - is there a point in getting Q950A over Q900A with such speaker placement. Or should I forget the "rear speakers" and go for Q900A (or should I consider some other alternative, like Sonos Arc+Sub)? Any help is appreciated.
View attachment 1544934
View attachment 1544935
I have same set up and 0 problems. Obviously, more separation the better but it sounds great to me.

I have same set up and 0 problems. Obviously, more separation the better but it sounds great to me.
So are the rears capable of creating a surround and atmos effect even though they are practically in line with the listening position? Or is this taken care of by the room correction software? Yes, and one more question - is the room calibration independent on the brand of the TV used or the automatic callibration work only with the Samsung TV?

View attachment 1544934
View attachment 1544935
Similar to me and it's absolutely fine.
More distance is ideal but it won't do away with the amazing Atmos bubble.
When you watch a movie just call shotgun on the centre seat on the sofa 😀

A little bit of distance would be great but it sounds fine even when the rears are placed close to the sofa at 45 degree angle.

My sofa is also pushed back against the wall and have the rear speakers mounted on the wall. Sound absolutely fine and you can tell the huge difference they make as opposed to not having rears at all.

So are the rears capable of creating a surround and atmos effect even though they are practically in line with the listening position? Or is this taken care of by the room correction software? Yes, and one more question - is the room calibration independent on the brand of the TV used or the automatic callibration work only with the Samsung TV?
The SpaceFit Sound+ is an auto-calibration feature which indeed only works with Samsung TVs (2021 models).

However, there is also the capability to use another calibration method called "Auto tune" through the mobile app. This is independent on the brand of the TV.

View attachment 1544934
View attachment 1544935

I too have a similar problem. My room is rectangular (closed, 13 feet wide, 24 feet deep, 9.5 feet flat ceiling). With all the constraints related to furniture placement etc. distance from the sound bar to viewing position would be 18 feet minimum. Rear speakers would be wall mounted behind the sofa (which is 3-4 feet off the wall).I know this isn't an ideal shape/distance, but I just hope it won't be catastrophic when I do buy Q950A/T.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom