Samsung HW-Q950A Thread 11.1.4!

Valo^

I'm shortly going to be upgrading my setup and I think I've settled on what I'm going with after doing a lot of reading of reviews and various threads.

LG 55" C1 OLED TV
Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar

I'm going to head out to my local stores to try and see and listen to both. I would be interested to hear what everyone thinks.

I'm coming from:

Panasonic TX-P50V20E
Q Acoustics Q-AV 5.1 Speakers
Onkyo 607 AVR

Anything I should be aware of?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
See the posts in the last few pages.

thothsong

Let me know if you have US Netflix or Disney+ subscription. I can suggest a few scenes from Formula1 or The Mandalorian which sound very dull on the subwoofer. BTW, I'm on my second unit so it's unlikely that both were defective. I compared the same scenes against the JBL 9.1 and LG SN7R. The Samsung subwoofer just goes to sleep in those scenes whereas the JBL would be solid.
Could perhaps be suboptimal sub placement, resulting in nulls at your listening position for key frequencies. I had some bad nulls until I spent a couple days moving the sub all around the room and measuring frequency sweeps. Best place for it ended up being a surprise to me.

Frank Smith

Could perhaps be suboptimal sub placement, resulting in nulls at your listening position for key frequencies. I had some bad nulls until I spent a couple days moving the sub all around the room and measuring frequency sweeps. Best place for it ended up being a surprise to me.
I second this. I don't have the Q950A but had the 800A for a bit. The sub wasn't in it's usual position and was pretty much non existent. Put it in a different corner and it made a massive difference.

LgAsh76

Quick question, when balancing the speaker levels is it best to have them set as close to the 0 setting as possible to avoid any unnecessary boosting which may introduce distortion?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Quick question, when balancing the speaker levels is it best to have them set as close to the 0 setting as possible to avoid any unnecessary boosting which may introduce distortion?

Don't think so. How is it looking?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Dumb Things App - whenever I select aoundbar on the app, Wi-fi gets disconnected. On the TV I see a message No Network Available. Few seconds later, its back to normal and goes back to limbo state after a while. Wondering if it's just me or have I got company?

LgAsh76

Don't think so. How is it looking?
Yeah all good so far. Too early to comment on sound quality as I’ve not watched anything worthwhile so far. I’m going to stick on Midway tonight (4k Blu Ray) to give it its first test. I have noticed that dialogue seems crisp and clear though just watching random tv programmes so that’s encouraging.
It was easy to set up and everything appears to be working as it should.
I keep getting up to look at the display which is annoying to check the settings and that Dolby Atmos scrolls across. Once I trust it’s doing it’s job properly I guess I won’t need to.

andykillsu

Dumb Things App - whenever I select aoundbar on the app, Wi-fi gets disconnected. On the TV I see a message No Network Available. Few seconds later, its back to normal and goes back to limbo state after a while. Wondering if it's just me or have I got company?
I haven’t had this happen to me, it could be something with your router. Try connecting them to a different WiFi network and see if it still happens.

SPKNout4CHRIST

Novice Member
For those wondering about the sub performance, I noticed a frame in our kitchen was crooked on the wall yesterday, which was odd because it’s been up for months and never moved. I shrugged it off and straightened it up.

This morning I was testing some scenes in BR2049 and noticed afterwards that the same frame was crooked again…due to the bass shaking the walls. The kitchen is next to the living room, but the wall with the frame is a solid 25-30 ft from the sub in the LR. My wife also said our daughters room was shaking. Volume was around 25. This thing puts out!

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Up to 30Hz plus room gain depending upon sub placement, we should see some bump.in low frequency (3-5 Hz).

Given the size, I think the sub does a great job.

Sampled Incredible Hulk campus attack scene. The sound cannon sounded excellent with nice bass but once again, most likely limited to 30 Hz

andykillsu

For those wondering about the sub performance, I noticed a frame in our kitchen was crooked on the wall yesterday, which was odd because it’s been up for months and never moved. I shrugged it off and straightened it up.

This morning I was testing some scenes in BR2049 and noticed afterwards that the same frame was crooked again…due to the bass shaking the walls. The kitchen is next to the living room, but the wall with the frame is a solid 25-30 ft from the sub in the LR. My wife also said our daughters room was shaking. Volume was around 25. This thing puts out!

Holly jeez you had it a 25. That’s really loud. I keep it at like 9-11 for normal content and like 11-13 for movies.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
HHolly jeez you had it a 25. That’s really loud. I keep it at like 9-11 for normal content and like 11-13 for movies.

I have hit 20 which was good enough for me to conduct my testing. I might try pushing next week to continue my testing at more than desirable volume.

I think 15 is a good community friendly volume lol.

Last edited:

WATTS

I am sorry. These puny 8 inch soundbar subs are made of poor materials and will be no match to a properly constructed 8+ inches sub. Might be good enough for the casual crowd though. You can get low numbers but the bass impact will be on a different scale on a dedicated sub. Few more months away to kiss goodbye to soundbars for good in the AV room.
I have the Q950T and I’m sorry you are wrong.

So just for reference I have an downstairs large setup with a Somy STR DN 1080 7.2 / 5-2-2 amp used with Bowers and willing surrounds and 2 Dali height speakers and x 2 Q Acoustic subs.

while there is more power in my downstairs setup and yes it’s a little better I will say that the Q950T is only just behind the quality and potential on my main system.

in fact I would argue the Atmos effects seem better on the Q950T and the 8” sub is more than very very capable.

I used to think soundbars were rubbish for surround sound but the new Atmos Soundbar (950T and up with seperate satellites) from Samsung are something else entirely, a new breed of what is possible and rewrites your beliefs on what to expect and possible.

let’s put it this way If I was buying / wanting a brand new Atmos system from scratch I would go for the 950T as it’s almost on the level of the 950A Soundbar but only cost me £699 with Currys voucher.

With that you get all the speakers you would need and a decent sub along with an amp so the cost is considerably worth it.

I can’t believe I’m saying this at all but real world usage and testing these new Samsung soundbars are very very close to removing the need for a bulky and costly surround sound setups so when you can streamline and have an all in one almost it’s a no brainier especially comsideing the sounds level and quality in offer. It’s also very loud and way loud enough to annoy your neighbours and get many complaints.

What I would like to see from Samsung is the option of adding 2 more satellites into an existing setup which would then add a further 2 height and 2 side channels (11.1.6) and that would really immerse you with Atmos effects and be truly mind blowing if all Amos channels got used.

Oh and also the option to add another Samsung Subwoofer would be nice too so you had 11.2.6.

It’s that good I was even considering streamlining my setup downstairs to a Q950T system creating more space in my living room with almost similar quality and sound levels.

From my understanding of Atmos it can use many more channnels than is currently on home audio amps like 11.2 amps as long as the audio is encoded with the correct metadata to tell ot where the sounds are to go or down mix into.

So let’s say for arguments sake you could buy a 22.1.6 soundbar, well as long as Atmos has content with meta data on to utilise those channels you can easily feed a soundbar with those channels where on a dedicated amp and separates you would need so mush space and a custom room it just isn’t feasible in people’s living rooms etc so hence why I think growth with Damsikg amd Soundbars will push a focus over to these kind of setups as they will fit far more easily into peoples homes.

Samsung are pushing developing DECENT soundbars and as I said I think they clukd push out the bias on seperate amps in future due to the nature of them being much more versatile and easier to setup and can cost (as in my case £699) considerably less than a complete separate system.

Jkon1970

Standard Member

25 ? Lol. Wow. I never put it up past like 15 but I'm in a condo. All settings max also.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I have the Q950T and I’m sorry you are wrong.

So just for reference I have an downstairs large setup with a Somy STR DN 1080 7.2 / 5-2-2 amp used with Bowers and willing surrounds and 2 Dali height speakers and x 2 Q Acoustic subs.

while there is more power in my downstairs setup and yes it’s a little better I will say that the Q950T is only just behind the quality and potential on my main system.

in fact I would argue the Atmos effects seem better on the Q950T and the 8” sub is more than very very capable.

I used to think soundbars were rubbish for surround sound but the new Atmos Soundbar (950T and up with seperate satellites) from Samsung are something else entirely, a new breed of what is possible and rewrites your beliefs on what to expect and possible.

let’s put it this way If I was buying / wanting a brand new Atmos system from scratch I would go for the 950T as it’s almost on the level of the 950A Soundbar but only cost me £699 with Currys voucher.

With that you get all the speakers you would need and a decent sub along with an amp so the cost is considerably worth it.

I can’t believe I’m saying this at all but real world usage and testing these new Samsung soundbars are very very close to removing the need for a bulky and costly surround sound setups so when you can streamline and have an all in one almost it’s a no brainier especially comsideing the sounds level and quality in offer. It’s also very loud and way loud enough to annoy your neighbours and get many complaints.

What I would like to see from Samsung is the option of adding 2 more satellites into an existing setup which would then add a further 2 height and 2 side channels (11.1.6) and that would really immerse you with Atmos effects and be truly mind blowing if all Amos channels got used.

Oh and also the option to add another Samsung Subwoofer would be nice too so you had 11.2.6.

It’s that good I was even considering streamlining my setup downstairs to a Q950T system creating more space in my living room with almost similar quality and sound levels.

From my understanding of Atmos it can use many more channnels than is currently on home audio amps like 11.2 amps as long as the audio is encoded with the correct metadata to tell ot where the sounds are to go or down mix into.

So let’s say for arguments sake you could buy a 22.1.6 soundbar, well as long as Atmos has content with meta data on to utilise those channels you can easily feed a soundbar with those channels where on a dedicated amp and separates you would need so mush space and a custom room it just isn’t feasible in people’s living rooms etc so hence why I think growth with Damsikg amd Soundbars will push a focus over to these kind of setups as they will fit far more easily into peoples homes.

Samsung are pushing developing DECENT soundbars and as I said I think they clukd push out the bias on seperate amps in future due to the nature of them being much more versatile and easier to setup and can cost (as in my case £699) considerably less than a complete separate system.

Appreciate your opinion.

The Samsung is excellent until 30 Hz. We can gain a few Hz by positioning and calibrating (room gain).

I am a bass freak. My comments were based on my LG sub which sounded boomy but the Samsung sounds so much better (tight and controlled). However my expectations when it comes to bass are always higher as I had 2 SVS PC-2000 which were giving me 13 Hz. The bass output and pressure was insane and can be overwhelming.

I was just expressing my frustration that these companies are not offering bigger subs capable of digging deep. Do not take my comment at face value. For most UK folks, the Samsung would suffice. I am hoping one day we will see bigger subs being offered.

polys643

Holly jeez you had it a 25. That’s really loud. I keep it at like 9-11 for normal content and like 11-13 for movies.
Tested 6 Underground opening chase scene at 50. The whole house was shaking.

polys643

Tested 6 Underground opening chase scene at 50. The whole house was shaking.
That being said, can you actually damage a product like this if you go max volume (i.e. 100)?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Please can someone confirm that I am ok the latest firmware version
Screenshot_20210725-133654.png

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar