Samsung HW-Q950A Thread 11.1.4!

andykillsu

Is there a place to run the Spacefit+ calibration? I haven’t found it, if so, and the manual for neither device mention how to run it. Or is it automatic if I use Adaptive+?
You run the Spacefit+ calibration from the TV menu system. I do not know how to get to it since I don’t have a Samsung TV, but once you run that, you should see the Adaptive+ sound mode on the TV quick menu. This sound mode is only available through the TV menus.

moto2000

Is there a best way to test LPCM through eARC?

I previously had the Q950T but returned for the Q950A. I want to make sure I'm not going crazy, but I've been testing and comparing with my PS5, when it's directly connected to the bar or when the PS5 is connected to my Sony X950H TV. From my testing, it seems like LPCM eARC passthrough might be working on the 950A vs the 950T.

But like I said, I want to try to test correctly, since there are many variables:
-Sound mode on the sound bar ie Standard/Adaptive/Surround
-Displayed codec on the screen (Dolby TrueHD/Multichannel)
-Options in PS5 sound settings (LPCM 7.1, 5.1)

Would I be able to play Dolby TrueHD Multi-Channel from a UHD bluray if I couldnt get LPCM passthrough via eARC?

Basically, all my testing yielded the same results regardless of how it is all connected.

Thanks in advance!

Imperius

Standard Member
I don't understand the complaints that I had read about the sub power/quality for the 950A. This thing is loud as hell and runs deeeeeep.

thothsong

Would I be able to play Dolby TrueHD Multi-Channel from a UHD bluray if I couldnt get LPCM passthrough via eARC?
Quite likely; they are different audio formats, which can be supported (or not) independently over eARC. I don't have a PS5, so I can't advise you on a sure-fire method to test with it. The surest ways I know would be to use a PC with HDMI out to either extract the real-time EDID or actually generate 7.1 test tones, or to splice in an HDFury device that will tell you (coarsely) what audio format is being used and will capture the EDID.

Last edited:

alastair113

I’m tempted to keep this on surround mode because LPCM 7.1 works correctly on PS5 and Series X, I’m struggling to tell much of a difference between adaptive which I’ve had it on from the start and surround. I’m not sure why surround sounds correct with 7.1 but adaptive doesn’t 🤷🏻‍♂️

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Star Wars Phantom Menace Pod Race - once again so much better than the LG. Nothing held back. Impressive.

Edge of Tomorrow (opening) - The bass tone lasts about 8-10 seconds. It starts super low (0-20 Hz) and then goes up to around 30-40 Hz. Barely any sound from the sub at the start until it hits 30-40Hz when the sub comes fully alive. So a fail but I admit I am expecting too much here. Waiting for the day when powerful subs are offered with soundbars (Klipsch are offering with 1200 but sadly it appears to be out of place for now as an overall package).

Last edited:

LgAsh76

Star Wars Phantom Menace Pod Race - once again so much better than the LG. Nothing held back. Impressive.

Edge of Tomorrow (opening) - The bass tone lasts about 8-10 seconds. It starts super low (0-20 Hz) and then goes up to around 30-40 Hz. Barely any sound from the sub at the start until it hits 30-40Hz when the sub comes fully alive. So a fail but I admit I am expecting too much here. Waiting for the day when powerful subs are offered with soundbars (Klipsch are offering with 1200 but sadly it appears to be out of place for now as an overall package).
I was contemplating the Klipsch 1200 to replace the SN11RG that I’ve just sold. But the lack of DTS support is a killer for me. According to Digitaltrends it doesn’t even support Dolby TrueHD. I expected more from Klipsch, they’ve made a soundbar that is a complete non starter for Blu Ray players. Now looking at the 950a.

leedhuevn

I got the System today and was able to test if LPCM passthrough from PC RTX 3080 to LG CX OLED TV to Q950A. It seems there is a problem either with the LG CX passthrough or the soundbar but the sound very loud for the rear speakers but the soundbar itself barely makes any sound with 7.1 PCM either in games or testing with Configure speaker-test. However, 7.1 PCM does work great if I plug HDMI from my RTX 3080 directly to the Soundbar which I used screen extend mode as a ghost monitor. The only way you can get 7.1 to work somewhat decent to pass through the CX is to turn on Dolby atmos mode on the PC instead of 7.1.

andykillsu

I got the System today and was able to test if LPCM passthrough from PC RTX 3080 to LG CX OLED TV to Q950A. It seems there is a problem either with the LG CX passthrough or the soundbar but the sound very loud for the rear speakers but the soundbar itself barely makes any sound with 7.1 PCM either in games or testing with Configure speaker-test. However, 7.1 PCM does work great if I plug HDMI from my RTX 3080 directly to the Soundbar which I used screen extend mode as a ghost monitor. The only way you can get 7.1 to work somewhat decent to pass through the CX is to turn on Dolby atmos mode on the PC instead of 7.1.
Yes this seems to be some issue with LG and the Q950A not agreeing with each other, many people have reported the same thing with LG OLEDs. I have testEd my Q950A with an A90J, PS5 and X800M2 both set into LPCM mode and they both work perfectly with the Q950A via eARC pass through.

bradsaggy

Novice Member
I don't understand the complaints that I had read about the sub power/quality for the 950A. This thing is loud as hell and runs deeeeeep.
Glad you're happy with the sub performance.

Let me know if you have US Netflix or Disney+ subscription. I can suggest a few scenes from Formula1 or The Mandalorian which sound very dull on the subwoofer. BTW, I'm on my second unit so it's unlikely that both were defective. I compared the same scenes against the JBL 9.1 and LG SN7R. The Samsung subwoofer just goes to sleep in those scenes whereas the JBL would be solid.

In other scenes, the Q950A is indeed deep, boomy (yet clear). It's the inconsistency that ruins the experience.

SPKNout4CHRIST

Novice Member
Has anyone hung the 950A under a TV with a sound bar mount that attaches to the TV? I have a sound bar TV mount, but the sound bar sits at an angle, likely due to the weight of the bar pushing the mount away from the TV even though it’s within the weight limit of the sound bar mount.

If you have hung it this way, what mount are you using?

leedhuevn

Yes this seems to be some issue with LG and the Q950A not agreeing with each other, many people have reported the same thing with LG OLEDs. I have testEd my Q950A with an A90J, PS5 and X800M2 both set into LPCM mode and they both work perfectly with the Q950A via eARC pass through.
After turning off everything and Restart PC, Tv, Soundbar It seem like LPCM is working now passthrough the LG CX over Earc. So Maybe the LG CX is able to pass through LPCM 7.1 over the Q950A well at least it work for me for now.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Glad you're happy with the sub performance.

Let me know if you have US Netflix or Disney+ subscription. I can suggest a few scenes from Formula1 or The Mandalorian which sound very dull on the subwoofer. BTW, I'm on my second unit so it's unlikely that both were defective. I compared the same scenes against the JBL 9.1 and LG SN7R. The Samsung subwoofer just goes to sleep in those scenes whereas the JBL would be solid.

In other scenes, the Q950A is indeed deep, boomy (yet clear). It's the inconsistency that ruins the experience.

1) You have another defective unit.
2) Your settings or placement is not correct.

The Samsung outperforms the LG SN11 in every aspect. The bass output is much better (controlled) than the LG for sure and most importantly zero boominess. There is almost zero inconsistency with the Samsung based on all the content I have tested in the past week. All of these sounded inconsistent on the LG. It just reproduces almost every sound element in a clear manner with zero muddiness.

You should switch to some nice action films and try it out (for ex. compare Star Wars Phantom Menace pod race scene).

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I was contemplating the Klipsch 1200 to replace the SN11RG that I’ve just sold. But the lack of DTS support is a killer for me. According to Digitaltrends it doesn’t even support Dolby TrueHD. I expected more from Klipsch, they’ve made a soundbar that is a complete non starter for Blu Ray players. Now looking at the 950a.

Its an unfinished product mate. Klipsch could improve via updates but its ridiculous that they took their sweet own time and are still not delivering. In CES 2020, they said the bar will support Atmos and DTS-X. Omission of DTS to get Atmos badge around the overhead speakers is simply inexcusable.

LgAsh76

My local Curry’s has this soundbar in stock for collection today. Think I’ll give it a go as I’m running out of options after selling my LG yesterday. Hope it’s as good as people say!

lgans316

Distinguished Member
My local Curry’s has this soundbar in stock for collection today. Think I’ll give it a go as I’m running out of options after selling my LG yesterday. Hope it’s as good as people say!

Make sure the woofer level is set to +1 and overhead channels to +2. Crank up the volume a bit and enjoy.

For plain DD and DTS, make sure you increase the volume by 4 or 5 clicks.

Try some of your favourite scenes and feedback to us. :)

LgAsh76

Make sure the woofer level is set to +1 and overhead channels to +2.
Ok, just got it home and about to set up. Do you have all the other levels left at 0? What about the Bass and Treble?

Regarding the positioning of the sub, which way round is best to place it? I mean lengthways or sideways (so that the fabric is pointing towards the listening position) or does it not matter?

I won’t bombard you with questions, just need a decent starting point and I’ll go from there. Cheers.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Ok, just got it home and about to set up. Do you have all the other levels left at 0? What about the Bass and Treble?

Regarding the positioning of the sub, which way round is best to place it? I mean lengthways or sideways (so that the fabric is pointing towards the listening position) or does it not matter?

I won’t bombard you with questions, just need a decent starting point and I’ll go from there. Cheers.

My settings:

Custom Eq: 150 / 250Hz - 2 clicks up, the last 2 treble bands - 2 clicks up
Bass / Treble: +2
Woofer: +1 (place the woofer closer to the soundbar - left hand side or right hand side)
Front and Rear Overheads: +2
Sides: +1
Mode: Standard (for Atmos/DTS-X). You can set to Adaptive if you like it for 3D audio.

Not sure about your room layout but above works very well in my room.

Rear speaker stands (do not buy the expensive Vebos stand. This one will fit Samsung, LG and rear speakers from most popular brands as long as they weight under 5 Kg.).

Amazon product

Last edited:

SPKNout4CHRIST

Novice Member
My settings:

Custom Eq: 150 / 250Hz - 2 clicks up, the last 2 treble bands - 2 clicks up
Bass / Treble: +2
Woofer: +1 (please the woofer closer to the soundbar - left hand side or right hand side)
Front and Rear Overheads: +2
Sides: +1

Not sure about your room layout but above works very well in my room.

Rear speaker stands:

Amazon product
Since you are using the Custom Eq, I assume you are using standard mode, is that correct? And if so, it must be working well based on the feedback you’ve provided so far?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Since you are using the Custom Eq, I assume you are using standard mode, is that correct? And if so, it must be working well based on the feedback you’ve provided so far?

Yep. 99% standard mode. If I switch to Adaptive, I think it engages Bass/Treble only which are at +2.

andykillsu

Yep. 99% standard mode. If I switch to Adaptive, I think it engages Bass/Treble only which are at +2.
You don’t use surround mode? That’s the other good mode and I would recommend to try if you think adaptive is too lively. If you use standard you will only ever use 7.1.4 channels.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar