Samsung HW-Q950A Thread 11.1.4!

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Sampled Terminator 3 (True HD) and Terminator Dark Fate (Atmos).

Again so much better than the LG. Not only the bass is so much good but also almost every sound element comes across in a crystal clear manner without any muddiness. Very impressed.

Once again, I just wish the soundbar was 20-30 CMS wider as it would make the front soundstage even more expansive.

andykillsu

I have same set up and 0 problems. Obviously, more separation the better but it sounds great to me.
I too have a similar problem. My room is rectangular (closed, 13 feet wide, 24 feet deep, 9.5 feet flat ceiling). With all the constraints related to furniture placement etc. distance from the sound bar to viewing position would be 18 feet minimum. Rear speakers would be wall mounted behind the sofa (which is 3-4 feet off the wall).I know this isn't an ideal shape/distance, but I just hope it won't be catastrophic when I do buy Q950A/T.
I agree with this statement. It is 100% perfect placement but will be much better than going without rear speakers. I am doing the same thing with tether seat close to the wall, so the rears are closer to the sides. It still sounds really good and you will not be disappointed by the surround performance.

andykillsu

Sampled Terminator 3 (True HD) and Terminator Dark Fate (Atmos).

Again so much better than the LG. Not only the bass is so much good but also almost every sound element comes across in a crystal clear manner without any muddiness. Very impressed.

Once again, I just wish the soundbar was 20-30 CMS wider as it would make the front soundstage even more expansive.

Yeah would be nice, but having the wide left/right and side left/right channels does help it give it a wider sound stage. I am going to be watching Jumanji The Next Level tonight in DTS:X, only my second movie I have watched in DTS:X and second in IMAX Enhanced, I will report the findings, but my first experience with Jurassic Park Fallen Kingdom was impressed.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Yeah would be nice, but having the wide left/right and side left/right channels does help it give it a wider sound stage. I am going to be watching Jumanji The Next Level tonight in DTS:X, only my second movie I have watched in DTS:X and second in IMAX Enhanced, I will report the findings, but my first experience with Jurassic Park Fallen Kingdom was impressed.

Jumanji Next Line DTS-X - nothing special about it. iTunes is Dolby Vision / Atmos and I prefer the Atmos over the DTS-X in this instance. Same applies to Charlies Angels.

Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle Atmos was excellent.

As of now, I am sampling all my favourite demo scenes as I have been through them a gazillion times on separates & LG and I have a good memory of how these sounded on my ex-gears :)

The bass on the Samsung has the characteristics of bass output from a sealed sub which is quite surprising and interesting.

polys643

Jumanji Next Line DTS-X - nothing special about it. iTunes is Dolby Vision / Atmos and I prefer the Atmos over the DTS-X in this instance. Same applies to Charlies Angels.

As of now, I am sampling all my favourite demo scenes as I have been through them a gazillion times on separates & LG and I have a good memory of how these sounded on my ex-gears :)

The bass on the Samsung has the characteristics of bass output from a sealed sub which is quite surprising and interesting.
If you have the time, can you share these demo scenes (e.g. Movie / hh:mm in the movie)? :)

gmoore23

Hi all, I am currently considering purchase of either HW Q950A or HW Q900A to complement my LG OLED65CX (so no Q-symphony). From what I understand, they have the same base units and subwoofers, bar the satellites. As seen in pictures, my sofa is pushed against a back wall. The only place for the rear speakers would be wall mounted on the sides on the sofa, marked with the yellow squares, thus they would in fact be side speakers rather than rear speakers. Now my question is - is there a point in getting Q950A over Q900A with such speaker placement. Or should I forget the "rear speakers" and go for Q900A (or should I consider some other alternative, like Sonos Arc+Sub)? Any help is appreciated.
View attachment 1544934
View attachment 1544935

Definitely go for the Q950. I have a similar setup to yourself. I upgraded from the Q80R to the Q90r a year ago and can tell you, the immersion is next level.
I got those little wall mount brackets which swivel from Amazon and have the speakers turned in roughly 45 degrees.

polys643

This is my setup now

IMG_20210722_193045.jpg

The rear speakers are mounted on the wall here:

IMG_20210722_193112__01__01.jpg

I know this is not an ideal setup for such a powerful soundbar and I may not be getting the best out of it, but I love it anyway.

lgans316

Distinguished Member

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Kung Fu Panda - Skadoosh moment - Think this goes all the way down to 5Hz which only few subs can reproduce. Here the bass output was reasonably impactful. Nothing dramatic like my naughty SVS.sub but audibly impactful than the LG sub.

What's impressive is the way it produces those subtle sounds with clarity and precision.

andykillsu

Kung Fu Panda - Skadoosh moment - Think this goes all the way down to 5Hz which only few subs can reproduce. Here the bass output was reasonably impactful. Nothing dramatic like my naughty SVS.sub but audibly impactful than the LG sub.

What's impressive is the way it produces those subtle sounds with clarity and precision.

So we have converted you over from the LG fully now :p

lgans316

Distinguished Member
So we have converted you over from the LG fully now :p

Lol. Looks like Samsung is better than the bigger Klipsch 1200 as per a reliable YouTuber. Such a shame as I was expecting more from Klipsch. I will one day try fine tuning the system based on feedback from @PlanetaryReference.

I am still surprised that this sub works more like a sealed sub than a ported one based on the smooth and controlled bass output.

thothsong

Have you tried Virtual with the rears connected and without then?
It certainly does make a difference with them connected, as is well documented on the 950T forum.
Have you actually heard a difference on a Q950A, or just assuming from a Q950T? With the satellites connected, I've measured 7.1 LPCM frequency sweeps in both Standard and Surround modes, and there's no measurable difference with Virtual Off vs On (and no difference in which speakers are used). With Dolby Atmos 9.1.6 test tones, the only difference I hear is that for the rear side test tones in Surround mode, sound comes from both the rear side-firing speaker and the front angled speaker with Virtual Off, whereas with Virtual On sound only comes from the front angled speaker. If anything that seems like a bug, not a feature.

Robbazz

Standard Member
I would connect them all to the TV, enable eARC and pass through on. You might have issue getting Atmos from ATV 4K, might need to plug that into the bar itself.
Hmm when I get this soundbar very soon, my setup is gonna be ATV4k (2021) > LG OLED C9 > Q950A think I've read that atmos will work with no problem. Hope I'm not wrong...

Talkshowchris

Have you actually heard a difference on a Q950A, or just assuming from a Q950T? With the satellites connected, I've measured 7.1 LPCM frequency sweeps in both Standard and Surround modes, and there's no measurable difference with Virtual Off vs On (and no difference in which speakers are used). With Dolby Atmos 9.1.6 test tones, the only difference I hear is that for the rear side test tones in Surround mode, sound comes from both the rear side-firing speaker and the front angled speaker with Virtual Off, whereas with Virtual On sound only comes from the front angled speaker. If anything that seems like a bug, not a feature.
I've heard from experience.
"Seems like a bug, not a feature" therein lies the dilemma.

vhernandez3243

Novice Member
What do you guys think about adaptive mode for 5.1 content?

I noticed voices are pretty much always coming out of the rears in this mode unless it’s an atmos track or one of the other high end formats

Last edited:

andykillsu

I noticed voices are pretty much always coming out of the rears in this mode unless it’s an atmos track or one of the other high end formats
I have never noticed that. The voices have always been coming out of the center channel unless they are clearly supposed to come from some other direction.

brump3

Novice Member
I have:

Hw-q950a setup in hdmi earc of TV LG C9
Nvdia shield in hdmi 2 of hw-q950a

I dont listen dtsx from kodi of shield or others.

Yesterday I tried to turn shield direct by hdmi3 of LG C9 and play all, dtsx, dolby atmos but I believe that is compressed audio.

What best setup for play with nvidia shield and hard drive dtsx, dolby truehd and dolby vision?

I use hw-q950a hdmi cable and hw-q80r hdmi cable

andykillsu

I have:

Hw-q950a setup in hdmi earc of TV LG C9
Nvdia shield in hdmi 2 of hw-q950a

I dont listen dtsx from kodi of shield or others.

Yesterday I tried to turn shield direct by hdmi3 of LG C9 and play all, dtsx, dolby atmos but I believe that is compressed audio.

What best setup for play with nvidia shield and hard drive dtsx, dolby truehd and dolby vision?

I use hw-q950a hdmi cable and hw-q80r hdmi cable
If you see DTS:X then you are 100% getting lossless audio. Since you have it plugged directly into it, you should be getting the best quality audio. It’s possible your Dolby Atmos could be DD+, but if you know the source was TrueHD then you should be getting TrueHD

thothsong

I've only found that with stereo content (including Dolby Digital content that's only 2 channels), not with full 5.1 content. But in that case, it's also true of Surround mode, not just Adaptive. Try switching to Standard mode temporarily to see if the rears go completely silent; if they do, then it's just stereo. But for stereo content, I only notice the voices coming from the rears if I get my ear fairly close to them; at my normal listening position I perceive the voices as coming from the front. If you're perceiving the voices as coming from the rears, it might mean your rears are too loud relative to your fronts, and you need to balance your speaker levels.

SPKNout4CHRIST

Novice Member
Just hooked up my 950A tonight and am ready to get it fine tuned. Am I understanding correctly that the individual adjustments (the +/-6 settings for each channel) only take affect in standard mode and not the other modes such as adaptive with the exception of bass and treble? If that’s the case, should I use standard mode and adjust or stick with adaptive?

Any tips for getting things dialed in?

Running ATV 4K, Xbox One, and Switch directly to TV and connected to the 950A via eARC. TV is a QN85A.

Thx and God bless!

andykillsu

Just hooked up my 950A tonight and am ready to get it fine tuned. Am I understanding correctly that the individual adjustments (the +/-6 settings for each channel) only take affect in standard mode and not the other modes such as adaptive with the exception of bass and treble? If that’s the case, should I use standard mode and adjust or stick with adaptive?

Any tips for getting things dialed in?

Running ATV 4K, Xbox One, and Switch directly to TV and connected to the 950A via eARC. TV is a QN85A.

Thx and God bless!

The channel level adjustments +-6 work apply in all modes. It’s the 6-point EQ that is only in standard, otherwise you get a 2point EQ. Only thing you should do is run the Auto EQ for the bass and Spacefit+ calibration since you have a Samsung TV. Then you can use Adaptive+ sound mode, which I think is adaptive + Spacefit+ but the manual isn’t clear on what it does.

andykillsu

Just finished it and yeah their wasn’t much height effects. I don’t think the movie really called for much either, just not the right movie for it really.

SPKNout4CHRIST

Novice Member
The channel level adjustments +-6 work apply in all modes. It’s the 6-point EQ that is only in standard, otherwise you get a 2point EQ. Only thing you should do is run the Auto EQ for the bass and Spacefit+ calibration since you have a Samsung TV. Then you can use Adaptive+ sound mode, which I think is adaptive + Spacefit+ but the manual isn’t clear on what it does.
Is there a place to run the Spacefit+ calibration? I haven’t found it, if so, and the manual for neither device mention how to run it. Or is it automatic if I use Adaptive+?

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

KEF adds Ci160ES to Architectural Speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense increases Laser TV sales following Euros
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Smart Start offer grants access to premium TV apps
  • By Andy Bassett