Samsung HW-Q950A Thread 11.1.4!

Nope, I don't try to explain anything away. I'm pointing out to you that LPCM surround on these systems did not even work before about the end of March, this year, as the system was not intended to do so.
You keep mentioning the Q950T for some reason when from day one the Q950A was available it had LPCM support.

Could someone please help me with this? I’m seeing strange behavior on my soundbar and am wondering if it’s just with mine or if it’s normal behavior.

I had my q950a replaced with a new one through the store because of a visual defect and I notice something strange now. When I disconnect the power on the soundbar, the led on the sub goes to red (standard I think), the led on my right surround goes off (seems normal) but the led on the left surround goes to blinking blue (pairing mode). When I reconnect power to my soundbar and turn it on, both the sub and right surround reconnect instantly but the left is stuck in pairing mode until I reconnect it through the remote of the soundbar.

Does anyone else see this behavior when they disconnect power to the soundbar?

When I put the bar in standby both leds on the rears turn off and they turn back on when I get the bar out of standby. So that seems normal.

Also, I can’t get the soundbar to upgrade the firmware from 1007.4 which it’s on now. It just says it’s the latest version.
Turn off auto update in the SmartThings app then check for updates, you should see it now. I'm not sure about your connection issues, but I would ask why are you disconnecting power to the bar? Just use the power button on the remote. The sub and rears will go into standby mode when that happens.

Turn off auto update in the SmartThings app then check for updates, you should see it now. I'm not sure about your connection issues, but I would ask why are you disconnecting power to the bar? Just use the power button on the remote. The sub and rears will go into standby mode when that happens.
Had disconnected a few times from power in the hope it would trigger the latest update, but to no avail. Turning off auto update didn’t trigger the update either.

Have reset the bar (pressing + and - for 5 sec) and now the pairing problem seems fixed. But still no 1008 firmware update.

Had disconnected a few times from power in the hope it would trigger the latest update, but to no avail. Turning off auto update didn’t trigger the update either.

Have reset the bar (pressing + and - for 5 sec) and now the pairing problem seems fixed. But still no 1008 firmware update.
Once you disable auto updates, you have to go into the app and manually check for updates. You can also just download it from Samsung and put it onto a USB stick.

Last edited:
Once you disable auto updates, you have to go into the app and manually check for updates. You can also just download it from Samsung and put it onto a USB stick.
Turned auto update off through the app earlier today, turned off the soundbar, I’ve unplugged it, closed the app, etc. Tried to update the soundbar through the app then and it said 1007 is the latest.

Does the usb service port accept a normal size usb stick?

Someone has amply proven my point by quoting from some random inaccurate website. I feel compelled to provide accurate information, so I'll quote from the actual ATSC standard A/52:2018, Digital Audio Compression (AC-3, E-AC-3). Here's the definition of the acmod field, which is a 3-bit value present in the actual AC-3 bitstream:
acmod.png

Here's the text that goes with it:
"This 3-bit code, shown in Table 5.8, indicates which of the main service channels are in use, ranging from 3/2 to 1/0. If the msb of acmod is a 1, surround channels are in use and surmixlev follows in the bit stream. If the msb of acmod is a ‘0’, the surround channels are not in use and surmixlev does not follow in the bit stream. If the lsb of acmod is a ‘0’, the center channel is not in use. If the lsb of acmod is a ‘1’, the center channel is in use. Note: The state of acmod sets the number of fullbandwidth channels parameter, nfchans, (e.g., for 3/2 mode, nfchans = 5; for 2/1 mode, nfchans = 3; etc.). The total number of channels, nchans, is equal to nfchans if the lfe channel is off, and is equal to 1 + nfchans if the lfe channel is on. If acmod is 0, then two completely independent program channels (dual mono) are encoded into the bit stream, and are referenced as Ch1, Ch2. In this case, a number of additional items are present in BSI or audblk to fully describe Ch2. Table 5.8 also indicates the channel ordering (the order in which the channels are processed) for each of the modes."

A decoder must make use of this field. Various data blocks in the bitstream are only conditionally present, based on the specific acmod value. The nfchans value, which is purely derived from the acmod field, is used throughout the bitstream as an array size, so it cannot be ignored. A bitstream cannot be parsed correctly without using both acmod and nfchans. A stereo bitstream cannot be parsed correctly by trying to treat it as if it were a 5.1 bitstream.

QED

Last edited:
Turned auto update off through the app earlier today, turned off the soundbar, I’ve unplugged it, closed the app, etc. Tried to update the soundbar through the app then and it said 1007 is the latest.

Does the usb service port accept a normal size usb stick?
What button are you clicking on to check for updates? Can you provide a screen shot of the update screen?

You do not want to mount them that high. First the speakers should be placed at ear level for best sound and your Atmos height effects will be greatly reduced with them that high.

Dolby's guidelines for these types of speakers: "For optimal effect and to minimize direct radiating audio at listener level, place Dolby Atmos enabled speakers at or slightly above the height of your ears when seated. Avoid placing the Dolby Atmos enabled speakers higher than one-half the height of your wall."
Copy that. Thanks!

What button are you clicking on to check for updates? Can you provide a screen shot of the update screen?

Hope these screenshots come through. In the last screenshot it says: no updates available.

Attachments

• D0D43ECF-BFDE-46B4-9926-03D6313281BE.jpeg
    D0D43ECF-BFDE-46B4-9926-03D6313281BE.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 369C2624-A6A5-4B94-83F7-3DD8667E1C74.png
    369C2624-A6A5-4B94-83F7-3DD8667E1C74.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 154
  • AC99C225-18BA-4957-B4CE-0BDC3C23164B.png
    AC99C225-18BA-4957-B4CE-0BDC3C23164B.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 133
Hope these screenshots come through. In the last screenshot it says: no updates available.
Hmm maybe its not out yet in your country? I would check on Samsungs website and download the latest from there and put it on a USB stick.

Someone says they checked this a year ago, which means they must have used a Q950T, which makes it irrelevant to this thread. And given one of their previous posts, it's not clear to me that "checked" even means "measured". Here are actual measurements, made using REW with a miniDSP UMIK-1 calibrated measurement microphone, using 7.1 LPCM over HDMI directly to the soundbar, measuring the Right channel in Standard mode from my listening position, firmware 1008.0, bumping the EQ bands in lock step:

EQSteps.jpg

Gee, those look like ~1 dB steps.

And here's the sub, same setup, measuring the Woofer control steps:

WooferSteps.jpg

Gee, those also look like ~1 dB steps.

Someone says they checked this a year ago, which means they must have used a Q950T, which makes it irrelevant to this thread. And given one of their previous posts, it's not clear to me that "checked" even means "measured". Here are actual measurements, made using REW with a miniDSP UMIK-1 calibrated measurement microphone, using 7.1 LPCM over HDMI directly to the soundbar, measuring the Right channel in Standard mode from my listening position, firmware 1008.0, bumping the EQ bands in lock step:

View attachment 1575181

Gee, those look like ~1 dB steps.

And here's the sub, same setup, measuring the Woofer control steps:

View attachment 1575182

Gee, those also look like ~1 dB steps.
Nice looks exactly like the app describes, +/- 6 dB controls.

Hmm maybe its not out yet in your country? I would check on Samsungs website and download the latest from there and put it on a USB stick.
Thanks, maybe that’s it. Did the update through the USB port. Hopefully any new updates will come through the app.

I know very little about audio systems, but just set this up yesterday. Is using the room calibration feature good enough, or do you guys recommend manually tuning it? I've got a QN94A so am using SpaceFit+ for full calibration. Also, my rear speakers sound like shit, but I'm waiting for some wall mounts from Amazon to see if having them set to ear level will help.

I know very little about audio systems, but just set this up yesterday. Is using the room calibration feature good enough, or do you guys recommend manually tuning it? I've got a QN94A so am using SpaceFit+ for full calibration. Also, my rear speakers sound like sh*t, but I'm waiting for some wall mounts from Amazon to see if having them set to ear level will help.
Idk not many people on here have used the soundbar with a 2021 Samsung TV to use the Spacefit+ calibration. My bets are that it is better than normal but won’t beat a full true calibration if you do it properly. Would be nice to know your opinions on how the Spacefit+ works.

Idk not many people on here have used the soundbar with a 2021 Samsung TV to use the Spacefit+ calibration. My bets are that it is better than normal but won’t beat a full true calibration if you do it properly. Would be nice to know your opinions on how the Spacefit+ works.
To my untrained ear, it sounds the same as it did before I enabled SpaceFit+ lol. I'm also using Q-Symphony which actually does make a big difference, especially for dialogue and overhead scenes (like with helis).

Hey Guys,

I just got the Q950A and I am having trouble figuring out the best sound settings.

Usage:
My main usage will be gaming on the PS5 with the Sony X900H tv, but will also occasionally use it for streaming tv and movies. I do not have much experience with sound systems and between the sound settings on the TV, PS5, and Q950A along with certain combinations of these setting not working, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Setup:
I have my PS5 plugged into the HDMI 2.1 port on the X900H. The Q950A is plugged into the eArc HDMI port on the X900H.

Q950 Firmware Version: HW-Q950AWWB-1007.4.
Sub Module S/W Version: 57
Plugin Version: 2.2.102

Current Sony X900H Settings:
  • A/V Sync: Off
  • eARC Mode: Auto
  • Digital Audio Out: Auto 1 (Output compressed without change).
  • Pass Through Mode: Auto

Current PS5 Sound Settings:
  • HDMI Device Type: AV Amplifier
  • Channels: 7.1
  • Audio Format: Linear PCM

Current Q950A Sound Settings:
- Sound Mode: Adaptive Sound

Question 1:

For the Digital Audio Out setting on the X900H, the other options are Auto 2 (“output only compressed audio for multi-channel content without change”) and PCM. I have read that PCM should only be used for stereo, but I wasn't sure if there would be any advantage in selecting Auto 2 (“output only compressed audio for multi-channel content without change”) over Auto 1 (“output compressed without change”).

Question 2:

For the HDMI Device Type on the PS5, is AV Amplifier the correct setting over “soundbar”? It was only the AV Amplifier option that had the channels input.

Question 3:

For the audio format on the PS5, I have read that Dolby and DTS does additional compression and thus could cause audio lag. This is why I have set it to Linear PCM. Can anyone confirm that this is the best setting to use for gaming? I have noticed that some of the Q950A sound modes do not work with 7.1 LPCM, which made me question if I should use a different audio format (See Question 4).

Question 4:

For the Q950A Sound Mode, I have noticed that there is no sound at all from the rear speakers when using the Standard sound mode with LPCM 7.1. Is this a bug? Furthermore, I found that the fronts of the rear speakers do not work, but the sides of the rear speakers do work, when selecting Game mode when using 7.1 LPCM. Is this another bug? However, if I witched to DTS or Dolby audio format on the PS5, both sides of the rear speakers do seem to work when using Game mode. Is there any advantage in using the Game sound mode over the other sound modes for gaming when it requires DTS or Dolby audio format on the PS5? Or would it be best to stick with LPCM with the Adaptive sound mode. I get sound from both sides of the rear speakers when selecting the Surround or Adaptive sound modes with LPCM 7.1. Is there any reason to use the Surround sound mode over the Adaptive sound mode?

I went through some of the previous posts (not all 109 pages though) and saw some posts regarding issues with some of the sound modes and LPCM. But some of these issues seem to be a bit different than what I am experiencing and I wasn't sure if things have changed with newer firmware.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Guys,

I just got the Q950A and I am having trouble figuring out the best sound settings.

Usage:
My main usage will be gaming on the PS5 with the Sony X900H tv, but will also occasionally use it for streaming tv and movies. I do not have much experience with sound systems and between the sound settings on the TV, PS5, and Q950A along with certain combinations of these setting not working, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Setup:
I have my PS5 plugged into the HDMI 2.1 port on the X900H. The Q950A is plugged into the eArc HDMI port on the X900H.

Question 1:

For the Digital Audio Out setting on the X900H, the other options are Auto 2 (“output only compressed audio for multi-channel content without change”) and PCM. I have read that PCM should only be used for stereo, but I wasn't sure if there would be any advantage in selecting Auto 2 (“output only compressed audio for multi-channel content without change”) over Auto 1 (“output compressed without change”).

Question 2:

For the HDMI Device Type on the PS5, is AV Amplifier the correct setting over “soundbar”? It was only the AV Amplifier option that had the channels input.

Question 3:

For the audio format on the PS5, I have read that Dolby and DTS does additional compression and thus could cause audio lag. This is why I have set it to Linear PCM. Can anyone confirm that this is the best setting to use for gaming? I have noticed that some of the Q950A sound modes do not work with 7.1 LPCM, which made me question if I should use a different audio format (See Question 4).

Question 4:

For the Q950A Sound Mode, I have noticed that there is no sound at all from the rear speakers when using the Standard sound mode with LPCM 7.1. Is this a bug? Furthermore, I found that the fronts of the rear speakers do not work, but the sides of the rear speakers do work, when selecting Game mode when using 7.1 LPCM. Is this another bug? However, if I witched to DTS or Dolby audio format on the PS5, both sides of the rear speakers do seem to work when using Game mode. Is there any advantage in using the Game sound mode over the other sound modes for gaming when it requires DTS or Dolby audio format on the PS5? Or would it be best to stick with LPCM with the Adaptive sound mode. I get sound from both sides of the rear speakers when selecting the Surround or Adaptive sound modes with LPCM 7.1. Is there any reason to use the Surround sound mode over the Adaptive sound mode?

I went through some of the previous posts (not all 109 pages though) and saw some posts regarding issues with some of the sound modes and LPCM. But some of these issues seem to be a bit different than what I am experiencing and I wasn't sure if things have changed with newer firmware.

First thing to do would be to update software to 1008 via USB and see if that fixes the issue you're seeing.

Hey Guys,

Usage:

Setup:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Question 4:

First thing to do would be to update software to 1008 via USB and see if that fixes the issue you're seeing.
Yes you need to update to 1008.0 firmware. 1007.4 did introduce an issue with LPCM and any mode other than adaptive which has been fixed. Also you should set AV Sync to Auto. I will put together a more complete message here shortly, just a few things I noticed right away.

Hey Guys,

Usage:

Setup:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Question 4:

I am actually going to wait till I get home to give you any info, because if I remember correctly, my PS5 was showing the HDMI Output as Soundbar and not AV Receiver. I want to check to see if it says that or not. Could be something you don't have set on auto or not for it to detect it as a soundbar vs generic AV receiver.

But for a quick overview, keep it on Auto1, and use LPCM on the PS5 for best output.

I am actually going to wait till I get home to give you any info, because if I remember correctly, my PS5 was showing the HDMI Output as Soundbar and not AV Receiver. I want to check to see if it says that or not. Could be something you don't have set on auto or not for it to detect it as a soundbar vs generic AV receiver.

But for a quick overview, keep it on Auto1, and use LPCM on the PS5 for best output.
PS5 should definitely be set to AV Amplifier, otherwise, you wont be able to select the number of speakers/channels. From my understanding, Soundbar mode might limit it to 3.1 audio.

PS5 should definitely be set to AV Amplifier, otherwise, you wont be able to select the number of speakers/channels. From my understanding, Soundbar mode might limit it to 3.1 audio.
No it will not limit it to 3.1 the EDID info will tell it how many channels it will support.

May be a stupid question but I saw a USB port on the subwoofer. Does that need to be updated separately to the soundbar itself?

Also, reckon Samsung will ever sell the components separately and enable two subs? Might consider it in the future lol.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Usage:

Setup:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Question 4:

@thothsong

So it finally occurred to me why the PS5 seems like it doesn’t work correctly in 5.1 content with LPCM! When I was doing all the testing I had the PS5 set to in the AV Amplifier menu to 7.1. So even though in some games like The Last of Us 2, you can change the audio in game to 5.1, if you have it set to 7.1 the rear audio will come out of the bar. But as soon as you set the AV amplifier menu to 5.1, it will work correctly! The Last of Us Part 2 now also auto dectects an AV system with 5.1 and sound comes from the rears. So it definitely still seems like a PS5, that being it will not send out correct speaker placement data for 5.1 if you have it set for 7.1. The weird thing is if you set it to soundbar, the game will auto dectect to 7.1. So basically you can have it set to Soundbar or AV Amplifier and get 7.1 correctly, but if you want 5.1 you need to set it to AV Amplifier 5.1 because when you have sound bar selected that is grayed out. This could all change when Sony adds the Atmos support as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom